Wood burning stove and USB charger

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

novocaine
Bongonaut

Re: Wood burning stove and USB charger

Post by novocaine » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:47 am

hmmmm. think for the money I'll have one of these with a big bottle of petrol. :)
http://www.skylandequipment.com/optimus ... stove.html

oh wait, I already have one.

or one of these
http://evaq8.co.uk/Adventurer-Ghillie-K ... tAodVHECKg
with a few twigs taking from an FCA approved forest. :)

I remember those USB charger things when they were first seen a few years ago, they weren't worth it then, they aren't worth it now. sorry.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:14 am

Here's an environmentally sound way of having a brew:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw ... 6uj50gwy_b

And a nice gadget, too.

We have two, they work really well. :D
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:40 pm

Hi
I must say I like paraffin / oil /petrol stoves...We have an Origo copy at 100.00 smackers ...lamp oil available anywhere ...I've got 4 litres in the workshop for the stove and lamps!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:33 pm

Bob wrote:Here's an environmentally sound way of having a brew:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw ... 6uj50gwy_b

And a nice gadget, too.

We have two, they work really well. :D
A great tool if a little bulky. Amazing how fast you can boil water.
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:34 pm

Muffatt wrote:Wowsers never realised sharing something so simple would get so many opinionated replies ;)

I get it, most of you think this is a waste of time, a waste of money and it won'y do what it says on the tin.

But I happen to like the idea, its neat, its innovative and yes its eco friendly... which is exactly what I want, I happen to be an organic business so anything I can use on my camping trips that reduces waste, packaging etc gets a thumbs up from me, I try to do things that offsets the fact I am driving a rather un-environmentally friendly vehicle at the end of the day!

I have a Cobb BBQ too which I use at every opportunity, they also are very expensive to buy, best part of £250 but it gets used every week at home and away, yes I can use a camping stove with gas cannisters but I don't want to so if I can find other gadgets to use on my weekends away that make my life simple then great.

In fact my Cobb does a great job of taking the chill off in my little awning once dinner has been cooked, and of course we're not stupid enough to ever use that in a confined space without adequate ventilation :)
Must steer clear of your supplier, i only paid £110 for mine.
novocaine
Bongonaut

Post by novocaine » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:41 pm

I have an addiction to classic stoves (I.e. parrifin, petrol, alcohol) that I have managed to control to some extent. the missus still despairs. lol. I have a chinese MSI copy that lives in a box in the van with a kettle 2 cups and a bottle of water. I've also got an old RM and the SVEA you see above which live in the garage for making a brew these days.
the RM saved us in the snow in oban when the modern campgaz petrol stove wouldn't light because the pump seal had frozen, it also let the 3 tents around us have breakfast as their propane stoves wouldn't run. yer it took to get it going but it was well worth it.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”