Propex location

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Jezzlar
Apprentice Bongonaut

Propex location

Post by Jezzlar » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:18 pm

Hi my new to me Propex 1600 should be with me soon so trying to decide where to put it. As the air con in the back doesn't work was thinking of putting it there but looks like quite a bit of effort to block off etc but not sure. So other 2 thoughs are in the kitchen unit I have (but sometimes remove, the twin burner plus sink type) or as per the tech sheet under the passenger seat. Not sure about the latter as was hoping to use butane and imagine keeping it warm enough for this might be an issue. So where have you put yours?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Propex location

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:51 pm

I've removed my heater to fit an Eberspacher although it's on the not quite made it to the top of the 'to do' list. Blanking the A/C pipes proved more complex than expected although fitting a bypass to the coolant was quite easy.

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 48&t=68205
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:30 am

I've fitted mine on the nearside under the r&r bed. Take care when cutting the floor for the exhaust and make sure you know exactly where the hole will be underneath as there are many obstructions.
blueskink
Junior Bongonaut

Post by blueskink » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:25 pm

Hi, I put my Propex in a low cupboard behind the rear seat. This means that the bed seating still folds flat for a full size bed.
It blows hot air forward from a vent under the seat, and takes it from the side.
I wanted to use the cheap gas available at our local welding supplies like I did for the caravan I had but they didn't do a bottle small enough to to fit in the box. So I have an expensive but convenient 904 (I think) obtained from a car boot.
Only used it once so far, very nice. Will post pics when I work out how.
Jezzlar
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Jezzlar » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:54 pm

Thanks for the replies, I'm keen on keeping as much space inside as possible so will be taking a look underneath using my pals garage 4 post lift in a week or so. Will look to box it in with a thermal layer where necessary. Really like the hot air duct in the cupholder and recirc duct to the footwell by the sliding door. Will take some pics when done.
jimmo62
Bongolier

Post by jimmo62 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:20 am

If it's the same size as an Eberspacher you might be able to fit it under the passenger seat and cut a hole in the panel that covers the back of the transmission hump to blow the hot air through. I guess running the gas pipe would be slightly tricky.
Jezzlar
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Jezzlar » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:48 am

I think that would work really well my only concern would be the heat from the turbo. The fact sheets show the Ebbers installed here so should be okay though, not sure

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”