Double Din Radio with satnav

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

helen&tony
Supreme Being

Double Din Radio with satnav

Post by helen&tony » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:37 am

Hi
Has anyone fitted one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181829168046? ... EBIDX%3AIT
I was curious as to how the satnav operates on this. Do you have to have a sim-card from your local GSM 'phone shop, or is there a down-loadable APP?
It looks to be a good unit, but I don't know how they compare with a more well-known supplier, say, for example, Sony.
We have sat-nav on the smart 'phones, and it's pretty good. I tried a Garmin unit I bought 2 years ago, and whilst I prefer maps, I thought I'd give the garmin a go...first time except the initial test!....TOTAL failure...and a complete waste of money, considering it wasn't a cheap model...It transpires that there was an update a year ago, and the unit won't work without...guess what?....the update is $60 ...
Anyway, if anyone has any info on the radio , I'd be grateful
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Double Din Radio with satnav

Post by g8dhe » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:00 am

Be aware Helen, that Android based Operating Systems get out of data rapidly, this one uses 4.4.4 which is at least three out of date, let alone all the security updates that are now issued monthly by Google, but in many cases do not reach the devices as there is no agreement with the network providers to ship the upgrades across the networks! So your stuck with an OS that has known and documented vulnerabilities for ever more, and which is accessible over the phone connection...
Might be better to consider a straight tablet and just feed the audio into an existing amplifier!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:23 am

Hi Geoff
Thanks for that..It makes a lot of sense!. I'm afraid I'm not that au -fait with computers / GPS APPS , and I far prefer reading a map, and driving by memory from what I've read. I tend to stop every few hours, look at the map for a refresher whilst having a cuppa, and press on. I've never got lost, and I've driven round a fair bit of Europe . The one bugbear over here is that there hasn't been many proper maps available, especially street maps, and I had to get to hospital a few weeks back for a scan in another city, and we used the GSM...it worked pretty well, so I thought a dash-mounted system looked good!....I'm glad I asked, now!!!....thanks!!!...nothing wrong with my current CD player!...that's saved some cash...I'll go for a second tablet!....I can use it as a Kindle. 8) 8) 8)
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:09 am

For those concerned there is this site http://www.android.gs/update/ but it really only covers the major players as each version needs to be customised for the hardware before it can be released and then the Network providers want paying to deliver it automatically, otherwise you have to load it yourself which isn't particularly easy and normally involves additional programs to get around the security built in to prevent just any old system being loaded!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:16 am

I don't know many glider pilots (flying solo) who'd choose a map over GPS for ease or safety, but maps do have a very redeeming feature in that the pace of change is not so stupidly relentless as it is in the greedy and feckless world of IT. Also, when the battery in the glider goes flat, the map provides essential back-up. And if you buy a map one year, its unlikely to be slower or flakier to use 2 years later, unlike trying to use my mobile phone as a SatNav. (which I do, as the synergy between addresses stored in gmail address book, calendar etc is irresistible).

Out of interest, do modern SatNav devices allow for synchronising with cloud based address book data etc as that might be a handy feature.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:22 am

My TomTom can certainly download custom POI files which could be your Contacts list from the Cloud, but given that you can't ensure that you will have Cloud connectivity at every point on the map to rely on a radio based data link for real-time connectivity might be problematic !

Fully agree about paper maps, have most of the OS maps for all our travels despite always using a TomTom for actual navigation!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:40 am

g8dhe wrote:My TomTom can certainly download custom POI files which could be your Contacts list from the Cloud, but given that you can't ensure that you will have Cloud connectivity at every point on the map to rely on a radio based data link for real-time connectivity might be problematic !

Fully agree about paper maps, have most of the OS maps for all our travels despite always using a TomTom for actual navigation!
Cheers Geoff - time to go-a-googling :D
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:08 pm

Hi Helen

My experience in using a standalone galaxy android tab 3 is good, I didn't let it update and installed the Navmi gps app and maps, it's a full download version and no ongoing data required only problem is that the charge rate and battery life conflict so an in dash solution from 13.8v DC will be better.

I note you're buying from a uk seller and suspect that you could save money with a HK seller etc so worth investigating benefits of savings?
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:49 pm

Hi
Dobby
Yes, I was looking at an EU seller, because anything going through customs here is unbelievably ridiculous, and the customs depot love to throw their weight about sometimes, but the whole issue is lunacy, driving from one depot to another , sometimes just to pay a fee of 3 pence!!!!! Anyway, I must say I prefer maps, as said, and you actually learn a fair bit from them!...BUT, for street navigating, I have used our Galaxy 'phones, but using a tablet sounds quite good. They are all Galaxy, and I've found them pretty fair...we have a couple of navigation apps, and they seem better than the Garmin. They are local ones from the 'phone provider, but last time I just used google maps.
Mike
I believe I inherited a sense of direction from my Father, as did my sister...I think we have an inbuilt compass :lol: ...somehow I always know if I'm heading in the wrong direction...BUT...Dad did spend time showing me map reading, and he always navigated at a couple of hundred MPH plus using maps, and charts in bombers, so it's good enough for me at road speeds :lol: :lol: :lol:
I also find some of these devices a bit irritating...dependent on which service we use....Tony likes playing with the 'phone, and one version even tells you when the road's bumpy...funnily enough as you are driving along a suspension shattering village road!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anyway...we'll try the tablet next time
Cheers
Helen
tanglefoot
Bongolier

Post by tanglefoot » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:12 pm

Hi. I bought the exact same thing a couple of months back. The satnav works fine with the system's map software, including the voice. So far everything on it has worked fine. I have hooked it up to a mobile EE internet gizmo and it picks up WiFi without probs, including in and around the Black Mountains in wales. Music via a 32gb stick is fine as is the little micro card....plays video off the stick or card and YouTube is great, Peter, Paul and Mary 'Early morning rain' parked up south of Hay on Wye, Brilliant stuff....All in all, a good bit of kit for the price....so far any way.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:35 pm

Is there a market opportunity here? A DIN size DVD player/radio with a retractable dock/stand for your phone or tablet and that allows the DVD player to use the phone/tablet's screen. Then you'd pretty much have the functionality of the £219 ebay device but your phone/tablet wouldn't be stuck in the car permanently, plus your major investment and operating system updates should be as good as your mobile phone provider. :roll:
billymansell
Bongolier

Post by billymansell » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:59 pm

Hi Helen

Here's an old thread of mine about using a tablet with a 1 din stereo with bluetooth;

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 44&t=68006

I've been using it for a year now and has been faultless on my travels around Europe. Once paired it gives the additional advantage of being able to play audio formats through the stereo that the stereo itself can't play. With video there was audio lag so for that I have a bluetooth speakerstand for using it in the back of the van.

Primary apps for driving are Copilot (~£30) full Europe, Maps with Me (free) with free downloadable maps for the whole of Europe and Ulysses Speedometer Pro (paid for version) so I'm certain to be within the speed limit whether in kmh or mph.

The added advantage for me of having a separate tablet is that I can take it out for other uses. When I'm not traveling mine becomes a bedside alarm clock with media streaming and is used with a keyboard case when attending meetings to save on carrying a full laptop.
The all black 2.5 V6 - "looks more like a pimpmobile than a playbus"
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:17 pm

billymansell wrote:Hi Helen

Here's an old thread of mine about using a tablet with a 1 din stereo with bluetooth;

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 44&t=68006

I've been using it for a year now and has been faultless on my travels around Europe. Once paired it gives the additional advantage of being able to play audio formats through the stereo that the stereo itself can't play. With video there was audio lag so for that I have a bluetooth speakerstand for using it in the back of the van.

Primary apps for driving are Copilot (~£30) full Europe, Maps with Me (free) with free downloadable maps for the whole of Europe and Ulysses Speedometer Pro (paid for version) so I'm certain to be within the speed limit whether in kmh or mph.

The added advantage for me of having a separate tablet is that I can take it out for other uses. When I'm not traveling mine becomes a bedside alarm clock with media streaming and is used with a keyboard case when attending meetings to save on carrying a full laptop.
Very useful to get that update. Its got me thinking esp as the radio on my DIN unit seems to have gone kaput. ;-)

I see you had decided in 2014 that OSMAnd+ was your SatNav app of choice. Has Copilot superceded it? Also, does the Hudl rely on any kind of chargeable mobile service (SIM card etc) in order to do the GPS function, and how does it cope GPS signalwise when its sitting in front of the cubbyhole.
billymansell
Bongolier

Post by billymansell » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:50 pm

Hi Mike.

On my trip to Belgium last November I found on the continent OSM+ continued to think I was driving on the left which was problematic at roundabouts, on motorways and when turning but it kept me on my toes. I had a license for Copilot but I'd had it installed on my phone so I transferred it between devices when I got home. I did keep a copy of OSM+ on the tablet as backup should the Copilot fail but it didn't on any of my trips this year.

You don't need to use any SIM device for the GPS and it had no problems locating satellites. The Ulysses Speedometer would be up and running within 10-15 seconds of starting up, the sat nav a little bit longer.

Also, Tesco have kept the OS up to date as they updated to Lollipop a month or so ago (although I'd previously had mine rooted). I don't know if it'll ever get Marshmallow though.
The all black 2.5 V6 - "looks more like a pimpmobile than a playbus"
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:00 pm

billymansell wrote:Hi Mike.

On my trip to Belgium last November I found on the continent OSM+ continued to think I was driving on the left which was problematic at roundabouts, on motorways and when turning but it kept me on my toes. I had a license for Copilot but I'd had it installed on my phone so I transferred it between devices when I got home. I did keep a copy of OSM+ on the tablet as backup should the Copilot fail but it didn't on any of my trips this year.

You don't need to use any SIM device for the GPS and it had no problems locating satellites. The Ulysses Speedometer would be up and running within 10-15 seconds of starting up, the sat nav a little bit longer.

Also, Tesco have kept the OS up to date as they updated to Lollipop a month or so ago (although I'd previously had mine rooted). I don't know if it'll ever get Marshmallow though.
Again, very useful info. I presume then you have to pay £s for OSM+ and/or Copilot. Not sure I'm much good at understanding the difference between Lollipop, Marshmallow and Snickers though :? :lol: 8)

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”