Fly fishing rods ?

Talk about non-Bongo stuff. BUT KEEP IT CLEAN....there are children watching. Smut, filth, and anything offensive will not be tolerated and removed immediately.

Moderator: Bob

Gasy
Supreme Being

Fly fishing rods ?

Post by Gasy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:01 pm

Any one know anything about CARBO TEC fly fishing rods
Apparantly there the dogs b
And fetch big money
I have 2 fly fishing rods for sale
A 10' #6 this one is a 3 section
A 8' this is a 2 section

I also have a aluminium beach casting tripod stand for 2 rods
And a pair of neoprene chest high waders size 10 I think
And some reels big ones maybe sea fishing

Any info greatly receaved
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Re: Fly fishing rods ?

Post by francophile1947 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:09 pm

I know nothing about fly rods, but you need to give details of the other items (make, model etc.)
Tripods and reels vary from less than £20 to several hundred pounds.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:22 pm

Thanks
Not to bothered about the rest of the stuff that will fetch as you say £20 a peace

But these Carbotec rods are not made anymore
The coarse fishing ones sell for 3-£500 plus second hand
Apparantly the fly rods are not quite as sort after as the coarse fishing rods
But not my cup of tea
So after advise knowledge etc
blobber
Supreme Being

Post by blobber » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:32 pm

Indeed as you say they are not made anymore. They were top quality blanks from Japan made to the specs specified by Essex Angling. You are right in the fact that the coarse rods are quite sort after, I think the top end fly community prefer the likes of Harrison blanks ( I've built a fly rod on a Harrison blank and it's brilliant)or Orvis stuff, but I also think Essex Angling was more into coarse stuff as opposed to fly gear. No idea on what to ask for them though, sorry.
Alan & Dot

Yes sir, I can Bongo !!

I now walk with an angel by my side.
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:19 am

Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:16 pm

Cheers wonk
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:42 pm

When I was a kid I built myself a course fishing rod from a 2nd World War tank ariel. It is still going strong but I don't have it any more. Gave it away to my partner's daughter so that she could go fishing with her boy friend. Still got three rods of my own, a fly rod, a spinning rod and a course rod.
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:22 pm

MountainGoat wrote:When I was a kid I built myself a course fishing rod from a 2nd World War tank ariel. It is still going strong but I don't have it any more. ..

I well remember the adverts for those tank aerials. The surplus dealers managed to convince a number of (usually would be) anglers that the aerials would make ideal rods. Much play was was made of them being made of high tensile molybdenum steel.

At the time I was already into radio as well as fishing so I was busy acquiring tank aerials to fit on my bike carrier. Most screwed together so if used for fishing, care had to be taken to whip the rod rings on in the right positions to line up when fully tightened. One also had to drill out corks and thread them on to form the handle grip and then sand them down to soften the joints. perfectionists could buy reel seats but cheapskate schoolboys used hose clips.

Judging by the surplus stocks, even now, far more tank aerials must have been manufactured than tanks. perhaps the MOD expected plenty of them to be shot away in battle. mind you, a hell of a lot of Wireless Sets No 19 AFV were also made and sold to enthusiasts for years afterwards.

Most of my best fish over the years have been caught on hand lines with lures trolled behind sea kayaks. Very cheap and no need to waste time obtaining bait. Main thing is to get the beauties (bass) into a strong bag as soon as possible. I have a trusty 30 year old telescopic spinning rod for fishing off rocks and slipways, usually with sandeels under a float.

Never tried fly fishing, I think I'm more akin to poachers than sportsmen. I just want them for the table, not to prove my skill. To hell with giving the fish a fighting chance, hence a strong line and that secure bag.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
alant54
Tribal Elder

Post by alant54 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:15 am

It must take a lot of skill to catch a fly with one of those things.... :D ...I use an electric zapper myself.... :lol:

OK I'll get my coat... :oops:

Yes there's always one.... [-X

Alan
Alan...still plodding on....!

Return to “Off Message”