That old chestnut: Body kits

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

andyb36
Tribal Elder

Re: That old chestnut: Body kits

Post by andyb36 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:51 pm

oops - I somehow managed to post it twice

not on purpose !! :lol:
BongoJonny
Bongonaut

Post by BongoJonny » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:55 pm

yes mate its nothing special at the moment no parts are fitted as Im saving up for them all painting first.

neilsayers
Junior Bongonaut

Post by neilsayers » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:14 pm

Thanks all.
That's interesting about the other cars front which fit.
To be honest tho, I quite like the Bongo original front anyway... It's the sides mainly (and rear slightly less so).

Have considered doing the aero kit, but since mine is 1996 version it would need a lot of parts (and I don't really have the space to store them in my flat!)
BongoJonny
Bongonaut

Post by BongoJonny » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:50 pm

neilsayers wrote:Thanks all.
That's interesting about the other cars front which fit.
To be honest tho, I quite like the Bongo original front anyway... It's the sides mainly (and rear slightly less so).

Have considered doing the aero kit, but since mine is 1996 version it would need a lot of parts (and I don't really have the space to store them in my flat!)
It does need a lot of parts I have 90 % of them if your going full aero you need....

Facelift Headlights
Facelift Grill
Underlight panels
Front bumper
Splitter
Sideskirts
Rear Skirt spats.
Latest Rear Lights
Back tailgate panel
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:13 pm

BongoJonny wrote:yes mate its nothing special at the moment no parts are fitted as Im saving up for them all painting first.

To me, that is THE classic Bongo. Don't change it - one day they'll fetch top dollar ;-)
BongoJonny
Bongonaut

Post by BongoJonny » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:04 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
BongoJonny wrote:yes mate its nothing special at the moment no parts are fitted as Im saving up for them all painting first.

To me, that is THE classic Bongo. Don't change it - one day they'll fetch top dollar ;-)
the pictures flatter mine better than it actually is. I bought it as a project and it needs a lot of work. Im trying to save up to get it all painted then ill facelift it as I have the xenon lights as well and I think they will be a nice upgrade.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:36 pm

Yea but no but - if you got it so it looked as good as it does in the pic, I for one would be slobbering with envy :P People may overlook it now, but in time the original look (with just a dash of tasteful improvement like those alloys) should attract increasing interest. ;-)
Puma931
Bongolier

Post by Puma931 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:49 pm

Hi,
I fitted a VW black plastic bib spoiler to the front bumper. It only cost £25. Take a look at my thread in this section call Retrim and Paint.

Cheers
Mathew
neilsayers wrote:Hello.

I am looking for a body kit for my 96 Bongo but they seem to be like gold dust.

I've tried a couple of breakers and I am on a couple of 'waiting lists' but I am not holding my breath! I am also pretty sure that custom-built ones will be way out of my price-range... In saying that, I am prepared to pay a little bit for something that looks good.

I don't even want some kind of mental sports kit or anything like that. Just some skirts and a bit of a 'chin' for the front - I still want to get over speed bumps around campsites!

Surely there is some other way to get a body kit for a Bongo? What about options like finding a generic kit or kit for a similar sized car that will fit?

Any other thoughts/ideas appreciated!
N
neilsayers
Junior Bongonaut

Post by neilsayers » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:24 am

Ooooohh. Thanks for that - I quite like that idea. Simple, but effective! Would that be the same as this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-spoiler ... Sw~OdVZEHg

I saw that thread some time ago actually - Really nice job you did on that Bongo! I particularly like the videogame sticker trim! I am planning on integrating a Megadrive into my Bongo's centre console, so I might end up getting some of that too!
BongoJonny
Bongonaut

Post by BongoJonny » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:46 pm

decided im selling my genuine aero sideskirts and rear bumper extensions if anyone wants to buy them send me a message and ill tell you more about them. Really wanted to fit them but my racecar is falling behind schedule so Im going to sell them on.
neilsayers
Junior Bongonaut

Post by neilsayers » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:37 pm

Ok - Excuse my total ignorance, but according to some stats I have just read, the Bongo wheelbase is 2920mm. This is the same as a VW T4 (again what I have read just now). Would skirts for a T4 fit the Bongo?
Anyone have any experience of this?
BongoJonny
Bongonaut

Post by BongoJonny » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:00 pm

neilsayers wrote:Ok - Excuse my total ignorance, but according to some stats I have just read, the Bongo wheelbase is 2920mm. This is the same as a VW T4 (again what I have read just now). Would skirts for a T4 fit the Bongo?
Anyone have any experience of this?
Maybe i imagine you won't find many thats tried though its an expensive mistake if they wont fit. Its not just the wheel base you have to think about either as the wheel arches might be a complete different shape and size therefore naking the sills linger or shorter.
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:07 pm

Would there be any interest in this bodykit if I take it off? might help me decide what to do, leave it on or take it off.
stuc wrote:I have just bought a project Bongo to fix up over the winter and sell on in spring, and guess what it has a bodykit on apart from the front skirt. I think I have decided to put it back to standard but if I do take the kit off I would be looking for good money as they are very rare. It is not an aero kit but some kind of aftermarket Jap kit.

Do what you like.Like what you do.
BongoJonny
Bongonaut

Post by BongoJonny » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:13 pm

stuc wrote:Would there be any interest in this bodykit if I take it off? might help me decide what to do, leave it on or take it off.
stuc wrote:I have just bought a project Bongo to fix up over the winter and sell on in spring, and guess what it has a bodykit on apart from the front skirt. I think I have decided to put it back to standard but if I do take the kit off I would be looking for good money as they are very rare. It is not an aero kit but some kind of aftermarket Jap kit.

Id leave that on mate tbh I think there drilled into the sills so would leave holes in your van. would look decent with a mazda speed front bumper on it.
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:27 pm

Where would I source one of those though, hard to get I'd imagine.
Do what you like.Like what you do.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”