ADVICE SOUGHT: Which SIM free smartphone to buy

Talk about non-Bongo stuff. BUT KEEP IT CLEAN....there are children watching. Smut, filth, and anything offensive will not be tolerated and removed immediately.

Moderator: Bob

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

ADVICE SOUGHT: Which SIM free smartphone to buy

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:42 pm

The EE contract on my smartphone (HTC One Mini) has run out and I'm considering buying a SIM free one and gettign a SIM only contract, as it may get me more bangs per buck. I'd like something decent, and that has a chance of not becoming obsolete in just 2 years. I've spent countless hours looking at youtube and other written reviews. I think my top needs are:

* Big screen and good sound for Satnav use
* Decent battery life and/or fast charging
* Decent camera
* FM Radio (I actually like to have that option, though it seems to be becoming an increasingly rare feature even though
reports suggest an FM chip lurks in most processors even now)
* Ideally, not too big to go in shirt pockets (esp since I'll be putting it in a wallet type protector).

I've swung from fancying a Lexus 6P, Motorola Moto X Style, Sony Xperia Z3 or Z5, Samsung S6, HTC One M8 or M9 etc. etc. and am currently thinking that the LG G4 could be the one, even though its styling is way behind the likes of HTC (whatever I get is going inside a protective case anyway so any looks won't be much on view either way). The G4 can be got for a very good price now, and has a removeable battery, SD card facility (although it comes with 32Gb on board), fast charging, and excellent camera and (bright) screen. Speaker is rear facing but said to be loud. I think it supports FM radio but I'm finding it a bit hard to be sure about that. Android Lollipop on it with upgrade to Marshmallow expected soon (daft names!)

So, I wondered what any smartphone experts might think about all this, and whether anyone has an LG G4 and if so, how they are finding it. There's plenty of useful reviews out there, but none I can find from Bongo owners :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: ADVICE SOUGHT: Which SIM free smartphone to buy

Post by Bob » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:52 pm

My last one was an LG, Mike.

It was always difficult to use and nothing seemed logical.

Taking advice from Mrs B (who has had one for a few years) I went with a Samsung and six months in I'm delighted. Easy and intuative to use and does all I want.

Exact model would depend on personal requirements. 8)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:45 pm

Bob wrote:My last one was an LG, Mike.

It was always difficult to use and nothing seemed logical.

Taking advice from Mrs B (who has had one for a few years) I went with a Samsung and six months in I'm delighted. Easy and intuative to use and does all I want.

Exact model would depend on personal requirements. 8)
Hmmm thanks Bob, interesting. The reviews say the LG G4 is a major leap forward on earlier models but it will be interesting to see what others say. The removable battery is rare and attracts me as I could fit a new one if/when the original gets tired :roll:
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:26 pm

I like my tech but it depends what you want.

The Motorola Moto G for around £160 (but not from the makers website) is a great phone. Good in sunlight, waterproof and good camera plus you can choose all kind of options of colours on the website.

https://www.motorola.co.uk/motomaker?pi ... =designNew

The older version (2nd generation) is cheaper and as good but in different ways. If you want front facing stereo speakers, it's one of only a handful of good phones you can get.

You can go up a bit to around £270 for a Samsung Galaxy S5.
This has one of the best cameras and apparently the best video camera out there. It also has a superb screen, is waterproof and you can quickly replace the battery. If you like phones with loads of gadgets, this once top of the range (before the S6 came along which I don't think is as good) used to sell for well over £500.

If your after a good price, the general suggestion is to go not for a model that's just been superseded but for a model before that
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:33 pm

Tony x wrote:I like my tech but it depends what you want.

The Motorola Moto G for around £160 (but not from the makers website) is a great phone. Good in sunlight, waterproof and good camera plus you can choose all kind of options of colours on the website.

https://www.motorola.co.uk/motomaker?pi ... =designNew

The older version (2nd generation) is cheaper and as good but in different ways. If you want front facing stereo speakers, it's one of only a handful of good phones you can get.

You can go up a bit to around £270 for a Samsung Galaxy S5.
This has one of the best cameras and apparently the best video camera out there. It also has a superb screen, is waterproof and you can quickly replace the battery. If you like phones with loads of gadgets, this once top of the range (before the S6 came along which I don't think is as good) used to sell for well over £500.

If your after a good price, the general suggestion is to go not for a model that's just been superseded but for a model before that
Cheers Tony that's very useful. Yes I'd picked up on the Moto G being a superb phone for the price. Similarly, I ought to check on the Galaxy S5. I guess I'm thinking that if I might want to keep it for 3+ years then I could/should treat myself to the latest technology (plus I'm getting to an age where the occasional treat might be in order ;-) ). The screens on such as the G4 seem as though they may be brighter and better also. Don't know why, but I always seem to want to avoid getting a Galaxy, maybe because everyone has one (typical Bongo owner :lol: )
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:44 pm

I've gone quite budget this year, so we cancelled the contracts with EE, a couple of weeks later (before I'd actually transferred - I think I just requested the PAC codes) they phoned offering a better deal. We now get 500 mins, unlimited texts and 1GB data each for £5.99 / month.

Phone wise I've gone for lesser known brands.

My wife has an Honor Holly - Cost about £70 from Amazon (a bit safer as we could send it back to Amazon if it broke etc)
I went for a Meizu M2 Note - Cost about £95 from Gearbest EU Warehouse (arrived in 2 days - could be a pain if it breaks though)

The M2 note is a better phone (bigger screen, more RAM, more ROM, 4G etc) but took a little messing to get it perfect for me, the holly pretty much just worked out of the box - haven't altered anything on it.

Both have been cracking phones, much better than the iphone I had before. The only thing that could be better on both is the camera.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:59 pm

sotal wrote:I've gone quite budget this year, so we cancelled the contracts with EE, a couple of weeks later (before I'd actually transferred - I think I just requested the PAC codes) they phoned offering a better deal. We now get 500 mins, unlimited texts and 1GB data each for £5.99 / month.

Phone wise I've gone for lesser known brands.

My wife has an Honor Holly - Cost about £70 from Amazon (a bit safer as we could send it back to Amazon if it broke etc)
I went for a Meizu M2 Note - Cost about £95 from Gearbest EU Warehouse (arrived in 2 days - could be a pain if it breaks though)

The M2 note is a better phone (bigger screen, more RAM, more ROM, 4G etc) but took a little messing to get it perfect for me, the holly pretty much just worked out of the box - haven't altered anything on it.

Both have been cracking phones, much better than the iphone I had before. The only thing that could be better on both is the camera.
Thanks for that Sotal, and noted. I think I'm going to splurge out on something a bit fancy, but only time will tell whether the extra splurge was really worth and it and certainly, things like the Moto G or the Galaxy S5 probably offer the best bangs per buck.....although the reviews hold the spectre of 'obsolescence by 2016' over their heads, which is a bit offputting. In my defence, I use a mobile phone like many would use a tablet, so something with a large screen and plenty of power etc. would certainly get used.
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:25 am

I should say there's no FM on the S5 or Moto G
S6 has no user replaceable battery unlike the S5
Good value phones are the one plus and Wiley Fox
GSM Arena is an excellent site for phones
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:52 am

Tony x wrote:I should say there's no FM on the S5 or Moto G
S6 has no user replaceable battery unlike the S5
Good value phones are the one plus and Wiley Fox
GSM Arena is an excellent site for phones
Thanks Tony, yes the One Plus did get my attention, may revisit it. Not heard of Wiley Fox but will check that also. Will also check out GSM Arena :-)
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:26 am

Hi Mike
We have a Samsung tab, and 2 Samsung 'phones. The only issue with the older S5 was the charger...we've had 3 that didn't work...it meant charging off the 'puter or the car. They seem to have sorted that with the white charger. Otherwise a good set of equipment...AND there's no end of cases out there to protect them...Mine gets stuffed in a handbag that gets thrown (literally) on the back seat of the car every time we go anywhere...can't say fairer than that!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:25 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi Mike
We have a Samsung tab, and 2 Samsung 'phones. The only issue with the older S5 was the charger...we've had 3 that didn't work...it meant charging off the 'puter or the car. They seem to have sorted that with the white charger. Otherwise a good set of equipment...AND there's no end of cases out there to protect them...Mine gets stuffed in a handbag that gets thrown (literally) on the back seat of the car every time we go anywhere...can't say fairer than that!
Cheers
Helen
Cheers for that Helen. The s5 does seem to be a very good package, even if a bit plasticy in styling according to reviews. About £50 cheaper to buy than the LG g4 but a 4.5" screen against a 5.5" screen in a compact frame. I do love the idea of the bigger screen :roll:
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:06 am

Have you had a look at the EE Rook? Only £29 + initial £20 credit. Seems almost too good to be true but by all accounts it's quite a competent smartphone. Full details on the EE website. Can't be too bad as my son in law who is usually very particular with his tech has bought one as a stopgap between contracts. Got to be worth a look.
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:39 pm

Re: the Moto G, we've had 3 of these in the family for a couple of years (and they do have FM radio). My wife and son having the 1st gen, me the 2nd gen with 5" screen. Been very happy with them overall, and prefer them over the older Samsungs we had before, mainly because they aren't bloated by the rubbish installed by the manufacturers, and they are well priced. (My ancientSamsung S2 is still going strong, though, and surviving extreme conditions under ownership of my daughter, so I can't complain about the quality). I've found the 5" screen of my Moto G to be the perfect size for most stuff, yet still fitting in my pocket. The main problem, though, is that I stupidly bought the one with 1Gb RAM. Whatever you buy, don't skimp on the RAM, especially if it's going to be a workhorse. Also, make sure it has plenty of storage, even if you save to the cloud. On board storage is important for apps; a lot of apps won't even run from an mounted SD card. I bought my son the Nexus 6P for his Christmas/18th birthday present. Lovely piece of kit, and I'd love one myself, but the screen size at 6" would be a little impractical for me.

The good thing about the cheaper, but good quality, phones like the Moto G etc. is that if you get bored with it after a year or two, you don't feel so bad about splashing out on a newer one; and if you lose or break it or drop it down the loo, so what, it won't break the bank for a replacement.
Two tonne tin drum
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:23 pm

Thanks for the thoughts guys, all comments make a lot of sense. In fact I was going to treat myself to a Nexus 6P as they seem drop dead gorgeous and seriously good phones. The size actually works for me as once in a wallet they are a snug fit in a shirt pocket which ironically makes them less likely to fall out than a smaller phone. But the 6P is about £430 best price, and the LG G4 can be got for a lot less and matches the 6P in many areas. It also has a removable battery and SD Card option, which I like the idea of if I'm going to keep it for some time. It seems also to have just about the best camera on any phone Android or not. But the Nexus 6P was probably top of my list if other things hadn't applied (Moto X Style was also up there).

So...........a few minutes ago I bit the bullet and bought an LG G4. Just hope I've got it right :? [-o<

Thanks a lot for all the thoughts and ideas. It actually played a big part in helping me make up my mind. =D> =D> =D>
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:23 am

Well done Mike.

We've often commented posting on here is a lot like a chat with pals over a pint. :D

Return to “Off Message”