Vitrifrigo fridge

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

baboonboy
Junior Bongonaut

Vitrifrigo fridge

Post by baboonboy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:09 pm

Hi there - I'm new to the forum but been a member for a few years now. Looking for a bot of advice on Vitrifrigo compressor fridges - I am wanting to get one and have seen a Spanish supplier who has them at a decent price http://shop.topboats.com/tienda/decorac ... GwodIYEKPQ but it says it comes with a german plug.

I wondered if this was a problem? DOes the c39 come in two models - a 12/24v model and a 220/240v model? I'd presumed that the 'two way' referred to the ability to work off both voltages... but my electrical knowledge is somewhat limited!! I also noted that on another model i came across the serial plate stated:

Input volts: 220-230v 50-60HZ
Power: 96w
Input current: 0,74A

So I'm a little confused. I don't want to buy the wrong one. My plan is to put in a c39 fridge and wire into the 12v bongo system, and then get a 80-120kw solar panel to top up the leisure battery so I can run the fridge and lights/blinds off grid. I don't have an EHU and was hoping that this system would negate the need for one.

Finally, and this is a long shot, does anyone know how to work out the year and month of manufacture on Vitrifrigo fridges. According to their website the first three figures on the serial number relate to the year and month but don't offer any examples annoyingly!?! I've seen a second hand model withe the following serial number: 0170756. Wondering if it means July, 2001???

Any advice is greatly appreciated :D

Thanks in advance
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Vitrifrigo fridge

Post by Bob » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:15 pm

Can't help at all with fridge info I'm afraid, but Welcome to Bongo Fury.

We do have some pretty hot electrical peeps on here so you should have an answer before bed time. :D
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:42 pm

The C39 is a 12/24volt fridge as is http://www.vitrifrigo.com/pdfmanuali/AC ... manual.pdf
We have the C42 version in ours and use this company for getting spares etc. www.penguinfrigo.co.uk/
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:38 pm

baboonboy wrote:... According to their website the first three figures on the serial number relate to the year and month but don't offer any examples annoyingly!?! I've seen a second hand model withe the following serial number: 0170756. Wondering if it means July, 2001???
Treating first 3 digits as yym gives a problem for November and December! mmy (your example would be Jan 2007 or maybe Jan 1997) only gives ambiguity about the decade. Just a guess!

A warm welcome to Bongo Fury.

"Two way" does normally refer to being able to run off two different power sources, battery and mains.

I couldn't check your link (overzealous web police at my end) but checked the C39IBLAL on the manufacturer's uk site and it states the fridge is "•12/24V as standard but easily upgradeable to multivoltage (12/24-240V)". So I presume when buying second hand you could get one that only runs on 12/24V or one that has had the additional mains upgrade. It also specifies its current as 2.1A on 12V.

A compressor fridge only runs when it needs to, like your fridge at home. So the power it consumes over a period of time depends hugely on numerous factors like outside temp, how often the door is opened, how many warm beers it has to chill. How long the battery lasts also depends on what other stuff is using it. It should fine with a solar panel (I'm assuming you mean 80-120W panel, not 120kW which would run 50 electric fires!!). This thread, where g8dhe kindly does the maths, should help: http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... ar#p664062.

Strongly recommended to run a fridge off a leisure battery (LB), and not your vehicle's starter battery (SB).
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:27 pm

Personally, I would advocate a top loading fridge for max efficiency as a front loader dumps all its cold air every time it is opened. Also, a top loader can more easily be installed so it is still accessible when the bed is set up etc. It can even be made 'lift out' so it doesn't have to be in the Bongo at all times. My friends' very expensive T5 California has a top loading fridge despite its extortionate purchase price tag. Top loaders are more irritating to store things in, but much more energy efficient.
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:40 pm

We have waeco cf35 and can highly recommend, runs off leisure battery had it for about 7yr now. Runs for about two to thee days on leisure battery when not moving and charging although we now have a large solar panel on dashboard and it will run for 5 days plus in summer.
baboonboy
Junior Bongonaut

Post by baboonboy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:32 pm

Thanks for all your comments and advice :D

I have considered a toploader but don't want to lose the worktop space really. So I think I'm going to go with the c39 option overall. I'll let you know how it goes...
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:43 pm

baboonboy wrote:Thanks for all your comments and advice :D

I have considered a toploader but don't want to lose the worktop space really. So I think I'm going to go with the c39 option overall. I'll let you know how it goes...
The counter over the fridge is kept as a worktop? It's your call of course but if you're serious about having max running time when wild camping a toploader is the way to go, plus I've read many complain about not being able to open the fridge once the bed is deployed.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”