vitrifrigo fridge issue

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

peeky1323
Bongonaut

vitrifrigo fridge issue

Post by peeky1323 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:17 pm

Hi,

My bongo has a side coverstion from AVA (like this one http://mazdabongo.com/fullconversions.html)

and the fridge is a virtifrigo, but I do not know the model number. It's a stainless steel built in top loader. When I turn the fridge on I can hear a fan, and the compressor turns on for 1 second then turns off, then a few minutes later turns on for a second, then off etc etc. I called AVA and they said it might need regassing and they don't deal with conversions anymore but I am thinking if it needs regassing that's cause there's a leak. It's a pain as I have to take the whole side conversion off to get to the fridge, that seems like bad design to me. Does anyone here have one of these, or know anything about these convertions/fridges?

Many thanks.

Matt
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Re: vitrifrigo fridge issue

Post by francophile1947 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:43 pm

Your symptons also sound like a low battery - what voltage is it reading? My compressor fridge does exactly the same when the battery needs charging.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
peeky1323
Bongonaut

Post by peeky1323 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:39 pm

francophile1947 wrote:Your symptons also sound like a low battery - what voltage is it reading? My compressor fridge does exactly the same when the battery needs charging.
It was 12.3 when I tried last. What does it need to be? I have know plugged the van in to charge it overnight and will try again tomorrow. Thank you.
peeky1323
Bongonaut

Post by peeky1323 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:36 am

Still the same after full charge or on mains hookup when battery shows 14v.

Are fridges normally wired straight to the leisure battery? My fridge is powered whether my camper electrics are on or off. I'm really dreading taking the entire side convertion out.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:48 am

They often will have a switch in line and a fuse. I would suggest checking all the connections and especially the chassis connections, for any corrosion, pull out any fuses and clean the contacts. It does sound very much like the Low Voltage detector in the fridge cutting out to save the battery, however any cause of low voltage will make this happen! Its just a case of following the wires along for connectors etc. and making sure that they are all tight and good. If you have a volt meter then check the voltage at the fridge and you will almost certainly see the voltage falling well past 12 volts and then the low voltage cut-out will operate.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
peeky1323
Bongonaut

Post by peeky1323 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:20 pm

Does anyone know of a reliable place in devon that could look at it? I see there is a place called clearcut conversation in barnstaple. I would be happy to check the wires but i cant get to any of them without taking the whole conversation out. Acording to the makers of this one. Thats not something i can face doing.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:47 pm

Its not normal to have to remove the conversion, the fridge carcass is normally held in by a few screws behind the drivers seat, remove those and the carcass pulls forward so you can access that end of the cables. The worktop sections are normally screwed in using the plastic rightangle connectors, open the door nearest your electrical control panel and look upwards inside you will normally see these and the securing screws, release them and the relevant worktop will slide or lift off out.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
peeky1323
Bongonaut

Post by peeky1323 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:03 pm

Not on this one. Top loading fridge and the compressor is behind a solid panel near the rear wardrobe only accessible from behind. Gonna be a take it out job. Stupidest converstion ever!
peeky1323
Bongonaut

Post by peeky1323 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:42 pm

Hi everyone,

I managed to take enough off to get to the fridge. Know I'm stuck. I put a video up of what I see and what's happening, sorry about the tone of my voice but I'm fed up! Nothing but issues with this since I bought it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are supposed to go away in it in 2 weeks and right now I'm ready to rip it out and put a cool box in it's place. There is a 12v junction box which is where I think the cables go. It all looks good and not corroded.

https://youtu.be/Rm2UWq2g1t0

Thanks,

Matt
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:58 pm

Whereabouts are you peeky? I have test kit you can use or I'll even have a look myself if you're near. I'm in North Yorkshire.
Jamie, Caroline and the kids.
2002 V6 Aero AFT
peeky1323
Bongonaut

Post by peeky1323 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:04 pm

Jimbobvfr400 wrote:Whereabouts are you peeky? I have test kit you can use or I'll even have a look myself if you're near. I'm in North Yorkshire.
Thanks you, I am in Mid Devon :-(

I have a called a few caravan/marine places down here but they want the fridge taken out to look at it. As the fridge isn't a complete unit, rather a compressor with cooling plate into a stainless cool box it's hard to take it all out without damaging it. It's all loose bits if you know what I mean.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:35 pm

Looking at the Vitrifrigo site it looks like you may have this compressor setup which is used in most small fridges, look at the pictures page 44 onwards;
http://www.vitrifrigo.com/pdfmanuali/po ... manual.pdf
If the connection panel at the rear looks much the same as the one in the manual (difficult to see and very brief shot in the video) then do you know anyone with a voltmeter (multimeter) who can check the voltages on the top two pins of the larger connector marked + and -, these should have the full battery voltage on them even when turned on if it falls below 11 volts (approx) then the circuit will drop out in the manner you describe.

In the diagram 2 is the battery, 3 is a fuse and 4 is a switch, its the connections to these items and the compressor itself that need to be checked for any corrosion, the fuse is likely to be close to the battery terminals and they may not have chosen to add an extra switch relying on the thermostat instead which is a bit naughty! Follow that black two wire cable back from the yellow crimp connections or look at the battery and see if you can spot the cable coming up and then you maybe able to identify the fuse.

Otherwise it may just have lost refrigerant and need a refill, might be worth locating a marine / caravan company near you and then just turning up on the door step and asking them if they could take a look and advise you ?
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
peeky1323
Bongonaut

Post by peeky1323 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:47 pm

Many thanks. Yes, it's a danfoss 35 compressor, and a virtifrigo switch. I managed to get all the bits out into the house. The + and - from the fridge seem to go into my 12v control box, not direct to the battery, and no other swithc that I can see unless it;s burried behind the rest of the conversion. Could I wire the fridge direct to the battery as a test, using some suitable wire to test it's not the wiring?
g8dhe wrote:Looking at the Vitrifrigo site it looks like you may have this compressor setup which is used in most small fridges, look at the pictures page 44 onwards;
http://www.vitrifrigo.com/pdfmanuali/po ... manual.pdf
If the connection panel at the rear looks much the same as the one in the manual (difficult to see and very brief shot in the video) then do you know anyone with a voltmeter (multimeter) who can check the voltages on the top two pins of the larger connector marked + and -, these should have the full battery voltage on them even when turned on if it falls below 11 volts (approx) then the circuit will drop out in the manner you describe.

In the diagram 2 is the battery, 3 is a fuse and 4 is a switch, its the connections to these items and the compressor itself that need to be checked for any corrosion, the fuse is likely to be close to the battery terminals and they may not have chosen to add an extra switch relying on the thermostat instead which is a bit naughty! Follow that black two wire cable back from the yellow crimp connections or look at the battery and see if you can spot the cable coming up and then you maybe able to identify the fuse.

Otherwise it may just have lost refrigerant and need a refill, might be worth locating a marine / caravan company near you and then just turning up on the door step and asking them if they could take a look and advise you ?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:53 pm

Yes but do include a fuse, especially when testing!
When you say your 12 volt control box does it have a make and version or can you give us a picture of it ?
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
peeky1323
Bongonaut

Post by peeky1323 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:12 pm

I will put a fuse inline, last thing I need to fry everything :-)

here is a picture of the control box, or fuse box what ever it;s called. Judging by where the cables go from the fridge it goes down and into this, they go towards the back of the van not the front. I also have a power panel that controls the lights, sink etc, but has no control of the fridge. It will get power whether this is on or not.

http://s629.photobucket.com/user/peeky1323/slideshow/

g8dhe wrote:Yes but do include a fuse, especially when testing!
When you say your 12 volt control box does it have a make and version or can you give us a picture of it ?

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”