New to all things Bongo

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

teamgrimes
Apprentice Bongonaut

New to all things Bongo

Post by teamgrimes » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:29 pm

Hi all,
I am seriously considering purchasing a Mazda Bongo for myself and my young family. Problem is, I am very new to this, and would really appreciate some advice.
I would like to buy a Bongo for everyday use for my wife, but with a proper camper conversion so that we can go away whenever we like. My wife stays at home with my young children, so the day to day miles are very limited, but obviously with children of 3 and 2, it is very important that the vehicle is reliable.
Firstly some info about myself. We need a second car, as I have the main car for day to day commute to work, but we also want cheap holiday potential, so feel that a Mazda Bongo would be ideal. I am fairly limited mechanically, but am willing to learn. However, caveat that with the fact I have a pretty full on full time job, and have a young family with lots of family commitments, so don’t have a great deal of spare time! More than happy to tinker, and find a good mechanic for the things I can’t do.
Secondly, what I would like from the Bongo. Ideally I would like one with a roof tent, and a rear camper conversion. There are a few extra stipulations though that make it a bit more complicated.
1. The Second rear bench needs to be reversible. So for the day to day commute, the seat is facing forward with the child seats in it. Then when we have gone away, we can spin the seat round to face the other way and into the rear conversion. I know this is not usual, but I have found a few companies that do it.
2. Top tent with mattress- Any opinion on whether this is suitable for young children, as I probably won’t fit in! Not really a problem if it’s not, as we can all fit in the main bed for now if needed.
3. Lowish mileage- around 80-90k max.
4. Leisure battery needed to run fridge, lights etc
5. Any mechanical faults I should look out for. I know there can be issues with the head gasket, and rust on wheel arches. Anything else I can be wary of?
Thirdly, budget, and this is the big issue, I probably have a maximum of 5 grand for this. Any opinions on whether it’s even possible to get a reliable Bongo with all my requirements for that price?
Fourthly, if so I am based in Reading, Berkshire, any advice on where I should go in the surrounding area to have a look at conversions etc? Willing to drive, but don’t want to go too far afield. I’ve found 321away conversions in Grazeley. Anyone used them, any issues with them?

Like I said, this is all new to me, so really looking for any information possible. Any advice/recommendations gratefully received.
Thanks

Dan
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: New to all things Bongo

Post by Bob » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:48 pm

Hi Dan

Warm welcome to the Forum.

321 Away are well though to, as are Discount Trucks near Newbury.

Have a read of the Buying a Bongo info on here and have a look at the Members' Ads, but I do think you're asaking a lot for your budget, just the middle seat mod would cost a good bit.

I wouldn't want to put off a future Bongo owner but they are a small camper for a family of four, especially if the weather is bad, and don't forget your little ones will get a lot bigger very soon.

It can get cold in the roof overnight.

Do try and get along to a Meet and have a chat to peeps with various conversions, see how they all get on before you spend your cash.

I wonder if a larger car and caravan would suit you family better, and if you don't have room to keep it at home storage can be had from as little as £200 per year.
teamgrimes
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by teamgrimes » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:50 pm

Ok thanks. Something to think about
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:54 pm

We pull a caravan with the Bongo, best of all worlds.

Large, comfy, living on site, Bongo for a day van/odd overnighter and your pitch fee is the same. :wink:
teamgrimes
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by teamgrimes » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:56 pm

Certainly a possibility if I can sort the finances. Thanks for the info
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:03 pm

No worries, I just don't want you to spend on a Bongo only to find it is way to small for four.

Something like a Mondeo and caravan could be had well in your budget, but if you do decide a Bongo is for you then brilliant. :D

Do pop along to a get together and chat to everyone, and don't forget you don't need to own a Bongo to join the Club and join in with everyone, all ages and lots of families. :D
teamgrimes
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by teamgrimes » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:10 pm

Will do, if I get a bongo I certainly will. Still early days, but i won't rule it out yet. But don't want to buy an awful one.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:13 pm

Be very wary of E Bay sellers in Bristol. :wink:
cazzyblues
Bongolier

Post by cazzyblues » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:46 pm

I have had work done on my Bongo by 321away and can say I have been very happy with all that has been done. Fair and friendly people to deal with. Lots of experiance with Bongos and lots of Bongos to look at too that are for sale. If they are near to you they are well worth a visit. People travel for miles to take their Bongos there for service, repair or conversions due to their great reputation.

A drive away awning may be all you need to help when the little ones can't sleep downstairs with you anymore. A caravan and Bongo like Bob would be the next step up.

If you were to consider the caravan option then it would may be sensible to go for an unconverted Bongo as the caravan would have the hob, sink, fridge etc. so you wouldn't want it in the Bongo too.
You can always buy seperate camping fridges, gas hobs etc to use in the awning if you go with the unconverted Bongo idea.

Hope this helps a bit
Caz
Cazzy
Art of Wax ( Facebook page)
"Art is a pigment of your imagination". (Darcy Gerdes)
Fassi
Bongolier

Post by Fassi » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:17 am

I have a full built in conversion mate and I wish sometimes I had the flexibility of NOT. I hardly use the sink as drinking water comes from other sources and i am always better just washing my dishes in a bucket with warm water so maybe you don't need it.

You would need to be prepared to get stuck in about maintenance if that is your budget. I've spent more time with spanners than I have with camping, which wasn't the plan, but I love doing it now. Just my other half is not to happy about the time I spend with it.

I spent around the same amount as your budget and it was already converted. In 9 months I've spent thousands on parts and bits and bobs. Now it is in the reliable, well maintained, safe to drive condition I actually thought I was purchasing at first, so be careful.

I still see mine as a bargain though. You get invaluable support on the forum, you learn about stuff and you save money on garages.

Shame you are not in glasgow as I could have let you see my bongo and pointed out the plethora of things to look for when buying one that I missed as a novice.
1995 2.5 TD
teamgrimes
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by teamgrimes » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:07 am

Great, that's all very helpful. It may be a bongo and a caravan is the way to go. Lots to think about, but i already know a lot more so thanks everyone.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:08 am

Fassi wrote:I have a full built in conversion mate and I wish sometimes I had the flexibility of NOT. I hardly use the sink as drinking water comes from other sources and i am always better just washing my dishes in a bucket with warm water so maybe you don't need it.

You would need to be prepared to get stuck in about maintenance if that is your budget. I've spent more time with spanners than I have with camping, which wasn't the plan, but I love doing it now. Just my other half is not to happy about the time I spend with it.

I spent around the same amount as your budget and it was already converted. In 9 months I've spent thousands on parts and bits and bobs. Now it is in the reliable, well maintained, safe to drive condition I actually thought I was purchasing at first, so be careful.

I still see mine as a bargain though. You get invaluable support on the forum, you learn about stuff and you save money on garages.

Shame you are not in glasgow as I could have let you see my bongo and pointed out the plethora of things to look for when buying one that I missed as a novice.
Excellent post - sums up a lot of the issues. Provided tbe OP understands that a Bongo is more of a liability (as well as an asset) than an ordinary car, i'd suggest unconverted Bongo and quick erect awning might give best balance between risk, return and usefulness. Mine is my every day drive but at intervals it has been in the garage for a week or two at a time for e.g. welding, head replacement so its best if you can accept 2nd car being off line from time time. Wonderful fun car to tour in though, and to drive generally, and incredibly versatile and useful, plus great community and support, which is why we love them. I"ve had mine nearly 10 years, others likewise, which says a lot. Good luck making your decision.
chriff
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by chriff » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:22 pm

As a starter you might consider hiring a Bongo for a few nights away. That's what we did last summer and it was a good intro into the pros and cons for two people who only a few weeks before had never even heard of Bongos! It was just my partner and I but the hirer was a family man also with two kids I think and his Bongo boasted the full works - side conversion, swivel seat and belts, awning etc.

We based our subsequent purchase on that experience. Like you I wanted to combine some camper features with the original MPV spec so ultimately managed to find a suitable private sale (on Bongo Fury). We've since gone about getting it into the shape we want. One importer we visited did advise us to sort the vehicle first before worrying about the extent of any conversion and that was certainly a good tip.

Hope your search is sucessful. You're well placed to use the services of Discount Trucks in Newbury who carried out some refurb work on ours and they're excellent.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:39 pm

I don't find the bongo too small.

We went from having a caravan and car (we've had 3 different caravans) and much prefer the bongo!

We have 2 children (8 & 4) and a dog. We do tend to need the awning up for any decent stay which gives loads of room.

The bed in the tent is lovely and big - about 7' long by the width of the vehicle. It tends to be the biggest bed so you won't have any trouble in there.

We have a mid conversion. This gives the best of both worlds for us. We have a full bench seat at the back which gives full original seats with no modifications for the kid seats. The mid kitchen works better as you can stand with the roof up.

We have a New Dawn Conversions swivel seat which turns the passenger front seat round - this gives a nice central living area.
teamgrimes
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by teamgrimes » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:09 pm

That sounds great. The only concern I have on a mid conversion is the kids being too far from the front on a day to day drive basis. I'm assuming this isn't something you've experienced as an issue?

Return to “Bongo Chat”