Alternator/fan/aircon belt change

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Fassi
Bongolier

Alternator/fan/aircon belt change

Post by Fassi » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:40 am

Just started the process of changing the 3 belts on my diesel bongo then remembered the fact sheet.

The factsheet instructions say to remove the water pump towards the end of the instructions. Is this needed and if so why? Thanks in advance. Fassi
1995 2.5 TD
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Alternator/fan/aircon belt change

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:51 am

Just checked the factsheet and it's clearly wrong. There's definitely no need to remove the pump or pulley, just slacken the respective tensioners and refit the belts.
Fassi
Bongolier

Post by Fassi » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:53 am

Simon Jones wrote:Just checked the factsheet and it's clearly wrong. There's definitely no need to remove the pump or pulley, just slacken the respective tensioners and refit the belts.

Just in from doing it and realised the factsheet was wrong. Cheers.

Nice wee job that. Had to give the ignition a wee flick to get the air-con belt on but the other two went on by hand.
1995 2.5 TD
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:00 pm

I hadn't realised (remembered!) that Ian had used my "how to change the water pump" in a factsheet. It seems that the instructions are in the wrong sheet.

Ignore all the references to waterpump and its pulley!

DA
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Fassi
Bongolier

Post by Fassi » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:09 pm

dave_aber wrote:I hadn't realised (remembered!) that Ian had used my "how to change the water pump" in a factsheet. It seems that the instructions are in the wrong sheet.

Ignore all the references to waterpump and its pulley!
DA
I started off trying to loosen the bolts to the pump and was failing miserably at that step when I began to wonder why I was touching them in the first place haha.
1995 2.5 TD
ChrisNuttall
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by ChrisNuttall » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:26 pm

Hi People,
Is this still live? I also noticed the fact sheet was for a more involved procedure.

My particular issue is just slackening off the alternator tensioner was not enough for me to leaver off the alt belts (by hand at least).
Should I then loosen off the alternator completely to give me some more slack? OR perhaps there is more movement in the Alternator inwards and it needs a budge.. After detensioning.

For some reason I bought only the alt belts. I can now see how pointless not replacing the AC belt at the same time is and will order from MazdaBongo shortly.

One other thing the fact sheet says working from underneath.. is that needed? OR just to check positioning of belt and can be done by 'feel' from top?

TIA.

Really need a dumbo's fact sheet for the likes of me.

I think I have read the info a long while ago after buying the belt after the squeaking started... Now I've left it a little too long. No teeth and significant cracking... Time for the slacker to deal with the slack.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:51 pm

This can be done from the top.

From memory the alternator belts are tensioned by moving the alternator itself, there is no separate tensioner for this.

To get the new belts on you will likely need to get them in place as best you can, then 'blip' the starter motor to pull them on to the pulleys. First belt onto outer pulley, then onto inner pulley, then repeat to get outer belt on.

The tensioner you mention is most likely the aircon belt one, yes, it can be done by feel.

Obviously fit the new belts as a pair. :wink:

Hope that helps a bit. :)
ChrisNuttall
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by ChrisNuttall » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:35 pm

Ta Bob,

Got there in the end. All three done and the old ones were wrecked.
Bit hard to work out if the tension is exactly right or not. I've got the diagram with the deflections needed under 10kg.
Probably just another 'feel' job?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:18 pm

Old school is the belts move about 1/2”, by hand, in the middle of the longest run.

Unless someone knows more. :wink:

Return to “Techie Stuff”