Best bed configuration for rear conversion

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Best bed configuration for rear conversion

Post by Bongoplod » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:58 pm

I have a `99 2ltr petrol tintop and am considering getting a rear conversion.

Any advice on the best seating configuration.? i realise i will lose the rear bench seat,but at present my middle seats are reversed to face the rear,and im wondering whether to return them to facing the front.

Also,any thoughts on making a bed.Is folded down front seat to middle seats best,or Folded down middle seat to rear conversion the prefered method??

There will only be me sleeping in it,and I have full length runners

Cheers,Brian

ps,photos would be appreciated :oops:
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Re: Best bed configuration for rear conversion

Post by digitalgypsy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:27 pm

Hey Bongoplod,

I'm convinced I've looked at every conversion going and also being on my second Bongo. In my mind the best configuration for every aspect (sleeping, cooking, available space, flexibility) is Northstar's Outback: http://www.northstarconversions.co.uk/6.html There just isn't width for sleeping comfortably in a side conversion...well perhaps if it's just you but I would still opt for the Outback for aspects like cooking, you can cook inside or out.

Steve
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:25 pm

digitalgypsy wrote:Hey Bongoplod,

I'm convinced I've looked at every conversion going and also being on my second Bongo. In my mind the best configuration for every aspect (sleeping, cooking, available space, flexibility) is Northstar's Outback: http://www.northstarconversions.co.uk/6.html There just isn't width for sleeping comfortably in a side conversion...well perhaps if it's just you but I would still opt for the Outback for aspects like cooking, you can cook inside or out.

Steve
Cheers Steve,I like that one

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:02 pm

I also have an outback and provides a good solution of a rear bed with a rear facing seat.
We have also used front and mid with a forward mid seat.
The smev with glass lids make it more difficult to use at the rear.
The rear doors are very useful offering max opportunity to use available space. maybe better than alternatives on the same twist.
Don't be 6 foot to use the table sat at the rear. ok to cook at.
I sit on the bench at the end of table to eat.
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:25 pm

[quote="the1andonly"]I also have an outback and provides a good solution of a rear bed with a rear facing seat.
We have also used front and mid with a forward mid seat.

The smev with glass lids make it more difficult to use at the rear.
The rear doors are very useful offering max opportunity to use available space. maybe better than alternatives on the same twist.
Don't be 6 foot to use the table sat at the rear. ok to cook at.
I sit on the bench at the end of table to eat.[/quote]

Which do you find easier/most comfy

Good point

Brian
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:43 pm

the mid rear bed allows use of a curtain behind front seats
the front mid drivers side : can interfer with steering wheel if too tall/ too thick an anti bump layer.
The table I have uses the hangers as load bearing areas for the bed, being 2 FB's I made a 2nd table with the opposite aspect ratio for the bed that is stored /used on an outsite rail.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”