Which Bongo please?

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Which Bongo please?

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue May 10, 2016 8:39 am

Parhelion wrote:So.. The search and research continues! I do lots of short journeys - can anyone tells what issues this is likely to present with a 1996 diesel?any thanks
The diesel can give the best mpg but not on short journeys. Having said that i use mine (daily) for short journeys and its fine.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue May 10, 2016 1:44 pm

short journeys normally mean stop start driving which will knock your fuel consumption. If it also means lots of cold starts then, as with any car especially diesels which take longer to warm up, it increases engine wear and increases fuel consumption (again!).

In contrast to some later diesels, the Bongo diesel does NOT have particulate filters that expensively clog up if only driven on short town trips.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Parhelion
Bongonaut

Post by Parhelion » Tue May 10, 2016 7:25 pm

Thanks Mike and Chris. My work commute is not far at all, but not in traffic. Am I likely to have a problem starting in the winter? And as I read somewhere else, will there be no heating or is that generated electrically?! (Sorry - don't know much! But have a feeling I may be learning...!)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue May 10, 2016 7:33 pm

Parhelion wrote:Thanks Mike and Chris. My work commute is not far at all, but not in traffic. Am I likely to have a problem starting in the winter? And as I read somewhere else, will there be no heating or is that generated electrically?! (Sorry - don't know much! But have a feeling I may be learning...!)

The diesel Bongo Friendee starts instantly at the turn of a key without fail, winter or summer. It has a great twin heater system with separate circuits front and back so the driver can keep cool and drowsiness free whilst those in the back fall asleep in the warmth :-)

Starting and heating are not an issue in a healthy Bongo 8)
Parhelion
Bongonaut

Post by Parhelion » Tue May 10, 2016 9:49 pm

:D
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue May 10, 2016 9:57 pm

Everything that Mike has said.

To emphasise though, diesels are heavier engines and take longer to warm up than a petrol. Bongo diesel is no exception and being a 20 year old design takes longer to warm up than a similar sized modern engine. So, you'll be lucky to be getting much warmth to speak of from the cabin heater in the first 2-3 miles on really cold mornings unless you leave it warming up on the drive.
Chris with BertieB
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue May 10, 2016 11:03 pm

cmm303 wrote:Everything that Mike has said.

To emphasise though, diesels are heavier engines and take longer to warm up than a petrol. Bongo diesel is no exception and being a 20 year old design takes longer to warm up than a similar sized modern engine. So, you'll be lucky to be getting much warmth to speak of from the cabin heater in the first 2-3 miles on really cold mornings unless you leave it warming up on the drive.
Good point. Never really thought much about that.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed May 11, 2016 8:25 am

mikeonb4c wrote:
cmm303 wrote:Everything that Mike has said.

Good point. Never really thought much about that.
Comes of living just under 3 miles from work and driven it in various petrol and diesel vehicles.
Chris with BertieB
Parhelion
Bongonaut

Post by Parhelion » Thu May 12, 2016 7:30 am

Thanks for all your helpful comments - it's a great forum!

One more question (for today!) please... If buying a 95/96 diesel 4wd AFT vehicle - what would be needed in terms of routine maintenance/monitoring on a daily/weekly/monthly basis please?

Again, many thanks
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu May 12, 2016 8:34 am

Parhelion wrote:Thanks for all your helpful comments - it's a great forum!

One more question (for today!) please... If buying a 95/96 diesel 4wd AFT vehicle - what would be needed in terms of routine maintenance/monitoring on a daily/weekly/monthly basis please?

Again, many thanks
Lots of monitoring/taking an interest. Maintenance needs are relatively few except for regular oil changes (3k recommended but i aim for 5-6k with modern oils) and checking brakes, filters etc. You should fit a low coolant alarm asap if it doesn't have one, and check thoroughly for rust. Check especially the metal coolant pipes underneath the car around the rear heater radiator - they are very likely corroded from road salt etc. Regularly check the gutter drain below front windscreen isn't blocked as overflow here will throw water onto front heater motor, corroding and seizing the motor. Overall though you must expect expenditure on failing parts in a car thats 20+ years old, and its better to spot signs and replace early than suffer a breakdown when wild camping ;-)
Parhelion
Bongonaut

Post by Parhelion » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:35 pm

Thanks to everyone for their advice and help. As a result of advice, research, luck, timing, thinking about how we might use it etc, have something different to what I was originally aiming for - now have a 2004 Petrol 2wd tin top! Looking forward to a fellow Bongo-er to wave to! VWs everywhere!!!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:24 pm

Parhelion wrote:Thanks to everyone for their advice and help. As a result of advice, research, luck, timing, thinking about how we might use it etc, have something different to what I was originally aiming for - now have a 2004 Petrol 2wd tin top! Looking forward to a fellow Bongo-er to wave to! VWs everywhere!!!
Great news. 2 litre I presume? Probably the most sensible/economical to maintain if so. Love to see a picture or two if you get a moment to post.

Enjoy :-)
Parhelion
Bongonaut

Post by Parhelion » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:50 pm

Thanks! Yes, 2 litre. Will post picture at some point. Unconverted, have stove and will see how we go! Mattress topper has been requested by OH!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:44 am

Sounds good. :D
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:19 am

Parhelion wrote:Thanks to everyone for their advice and help. As a result of advice, research, luck, timing, thinking about how we might use it etc, have something different to what I was originally aiming for - now have a 2004 Petrol 2wd tin top! Looking forward to a fellow Bongo-er to wave to! VWs everywhere!!!
congratulations.may you have lots of happy Bongoing. :)
Chris with BertieB

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”