conversions

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

gnome2
Junior Bongonaut

conversions

Post by gnome2 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:35 pm

hello all, newbie to site and Bongoliering having just bought unconverted bertie and am now agonising over side or end conversion. I like the idea of keeping the bench seat reversed and a end unit fitted, which can be removed, or the beauty of a side conversion. I camp/travel alone, so needs are less, but I wonder if anyone has thoughts/ experience of wishing they had fitted the opposite to what they did.....if you catch my drift. thanks.
"when they said repent, repent, I wondered what they meant" L Cohen
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: conversions

Post by Bob » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:40 pm

Welcome to the Forum. :D

Like you we bought unconverted intending to look at different conversions before commiting.

Almost 10 years later we're still unconverted as Bongy is so versatile like this.

If you can make it pop into the National Bash, at Stourport, then you can look at every possible conversion and ask owners how they work out for them.

Plenty of space if you can manage without EHU or no charge for day visitors. :D
gnome2
Junior Bongonaut

Post by gnome2 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:49 pm

thanks Bob, will look at that, good idea, but I'm an excitable lad and never grew out of I want it now.. so I'm quivering to get started, but I will remain calm and take your advice :D
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:34 pm

Ditto Bob. Come to the Bash and have a good look around.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:37 pm

I did this, 9 years ago:

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... lit=Locker

....and its served me very well. I can stand a single burner on the pull out shelf for day outings but lift it out and put it in the awning for use in there when camping ;-)
gnome2
Junior Bongonaut

Post by gnome2 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:24 pm

thanks people, looking at "outback" from northern star..as although I'm a woodturner and two shed man, I would like to go away soon so will buy in...exciting times.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:15 pm

We have a mid conversion and it suits us well (family of four + a dog) - even had my nephew stay with us last time so 5+dog in the Bongo!

However if I was travelling alone - I'd go one of two ways - I'd either go the full hog and have the luxury of the full side conversion with plenty of room.

Or I'd go the other way and have an unconverted unit and have camping equipment which gets put up/out in the awning etc.
gnome2
Junior Bongonaut

Post by gnome2 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:46 am

becoming bongo'd out with all the variations and prices..really would like the luxury of the all singing/dancing side unit as suggested, butttt butttt the prices are staggering....5K and on...and on....removable end unit is the way I think, I'm really loath to lose the mpv side. however, the final decision may lie on the turn of a whisky glass....or two.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:44 pm

sotal wrote:We have a mid conversion and it suits us well (family of four + a dog) - even had my nephew stay with us last time so 5+dog in the Bongo!

However if I was travelling alone - I'd go one of two ways - I'd either go the full hog and have the luxury of the full side conversion with plenty of room.

Or I'd go the other way and have an unconverted unit and have camping equipment which gets put up/out in the awning etc.
Interestingly, I've found I can configure my '95 Bongo (which has split folding rearmost seat so one can be folded up sideways whilst the other is set with its back flat) so that I have a single bed on one side, with space for a Portapotti, coolbox, bedside table and place to put a single burner and kettle, with all amenites accessible at all times. Travelling solo,I could leave it in that configuration so I can just park up and then use the back for whatever I need. And if I carry the caravanstore, I can have a sun/rain proof sit out area which, by parking with drivers side facing into wind, allows the Bongo to act as a pretty effective windbreak. Useful cars, these Bongos :-)
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:36 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
sotal wrote:We have a mid conversion and it suits us well (family of four + a dog) - even had my nephew stay with us last time so 5+dog in the Bongo!

Interestingly, I've found I can configure my '95 Bongo (which has split folding rearmost seat so one can be folded up sideways whilst the other is set with its back flat) so that I have a single bed on one side, with space for a Portapotti, coolbox, bedside table and place to put a single burner and kettle, with all amenites accessible at all times. Travelling solo,I could leave it in that configuration so I can just park up and then use the back for whatever I need. And if I carry the caravanstore, I can have a sun/rain proof sit out area which, by parking with drivers side facing into wind, allows the Bongo to act as a pretty effective windbreak. Useful cars, these Bongos :-)
That sounds great - I am liking the basic style. When we go camping we never use the gas rings in the Bongo, we only really use the sink for brushing teeth (could easily do without) - and the cupboard could be replaced with storage boxes!

We use a camping stand and camping stove outside (to stop smells in the Bongo).

So far camping in some ways I'd prefer the bed space.

However I'd probably still go for something like the mid conversion we've got as we do use it - just more as a day van when not camping. We use it on days out - kids can wash their hands, we keep tins of soup etc. under the seats and can rustle something to eat most of the time! My wife has equestrian interests too - so it is useful as a portable base.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:05 am

Jolly impressive if she can keep her horse in Bongy. :lol:
gnome2
Junior Bongonaut

Post by gnome2 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:29 pm

I don't think I want a horse in my bertie....but I like the variations and simplicity of minimalism. I guess it all depends on what your needs/prioritories are.I may be losing sight of why I bought the van.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:38 pm

There is an option of sleeping using a front seat fully reclined and the seat behind. Leaves more space at the back for conversions/creativity/"make-do".
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
gnome2
Junior Bongonaut

Post by gnome2 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:06 pm

It seems the only thing a bongo cant do is fly...anyone working on that?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:44 pm

Yes flying is possible!
Open the AFT when facing into a gale, the AFT if not the rest if the van will make a good attempt to fly off :lol:
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”