AFT Wind Speed?

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

BillyCasper
Bongonaut

AFT Wind Speed?

Post by BillyCasper » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:46 pm

On holiday, not in the UK, it's lashing down with rain and wind is blowing at 30 mph. Is there a wind speed limit for raising the AFT without the risk of causing damage?

Regards
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: AFT Wind Speed?

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:46 pm

I'd always err on the side of caution as getting it damaged while away would be a bummer. 30mph sounds too high to me. If you must do it then park tail to wind, but remember wind direction will change as weather fronts pass. I had thought of making storm braces for my AFT to keep it rigid in wind and take load off mechanics but never got a round tuit. 8)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:48 pm

25Kmh or 15mph, by that speed the gas struts will be making lots of noise that you won't be able to sleep anyway!
If its over that don't even think about putting it up!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
BillyCasper
Bongonaut

Post by BillyCasper » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:10 pm

Thanks for the replies.

There were some chalets on the Hungarian camp site so I upgraded for the night. Never mind the noise of the gale, it was the rumpy pumpy Germans that kept me awake after midnight. You would have thought people would be more discrete with thin walls!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:12 pm

Probably playing a recording to make the Brits jealous. :lol:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:57 pm

BillyCasper wrote:Thanks for the replies.

There were some chalets on the Hungarian camp site so I upgraded for the night. Never mind the noise of the gale, it was the rumpy pumpy Germans that kept me awake after midnight. You would have thought people would be more discrete with thin walls!
Not the Germans. When something looks inviting and empty they're the first to jump on it. Usually its deck chairs but..... :roll: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:51 am

Getting a bit hot under the collar here. The Bongo red light zone. :lol:
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:18 am

Had some strong winds this week whilst away. On one night we later found out the gusts were up to 25mph. We were faced nose towards the wind. There weren't any noises at this speed. The following night was much worse and we chickened out and kept the roof down. Apparently the gusts hit 45mph!

There was a vw transporter on site with a pop top and they chickened out on the second night too!

Got to say it was interesting arranging the beds for 4 of us plus the dog without the roof tent!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:29 am

sotal wrote:Had some strong winds this week whilst away. On one night we later found out the gusts were up to 25mph. We were faced nose towards the wind. There weren't any noises at this speed. The following night was much worse and we chickened out and kept the roof down. Apparently the gusts hit 45mph!

There was a vw transporter on site with a pop top and they chickened out on the second night too!

Got to say it was interesting arranging the beds for 4 of us plus the dog without the roof tent!
I'll bet it was! I have the luxury, ten years down the road of ownership, of having a Bongo completely to myself. Bliss :-)

Return to “Bongo Chat”