Tyre Sealant

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

bluecat4

Tyre Sealant

Post by bluecat4 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:25 pm

Hi All
I'm new to the forum and have a question.
I have a 2001 bongo with lpg conversion which means the spare tyre is stored in the car. Can anyone recommend a decent puncture foam for me so that I can leave the spare at home? Thanks
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Re: Tyre Sealant

Post by roosmith » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:35 pm

I've had a few over the years but thank fully only used it once. I've always had the Holts one from Halfords. Did work when I needed it but have no idea whether it is better than the others I'm afraid.
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:08 pm

Welcome aboard. :D

Worth carrying it and giving it a go, but it will only repair a pretty small puncture and you will likely need a compressor, too.
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:11 pm

I dunno Bob, the time I used it was on a Transit and it worked OK on it's own?
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:50 pm

Most tyre sealants will be completely useless in about 8 out of 10 punctures, the types of punctures that you can use them on you could probably just carry a small compressor & keep pumping the tyre up to get to a tyre repairer anyway. If you can carry a spare (even a space saver is better than a bottle of sealant) then I would carry one.
If you are going to go down the sealant route I would recommend Slime sealant, seems to be the best of the lot and despite what a tyre fitter might tell you it doesn't make the tyre un repairable, it is water soluble & washes off with water. The downside of Slime is its not self inflating so you still need a small compressor to pump the tyre back up.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:52 pm

roosmith wrote:I dunno Bob, the time I used it was on a Transit and it worked OK on it's own?
Fair shout. :)

Not saying it will never work, just be aware of the limitations. 8)
Gefail
Bongolier

Post by Gefail » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:04 pm

I carry the halfords larger size, for Bongo, just incase. Fits in jack compartment :)
one word of warning, if you use it they wont then repair it at Kwikfit and the like because its full of gunk. So check how much usable tread you have left.
Used the selant kit on my Mazda 6 :evil: after picking up a large screw, took screw out and heard dreaded psssst. Dosn't come with a spare so had to use the sealant. Should have left screw in and gone to garage, 4-5mm tread left but ended up new tyre and £80 lighter.
02-07-1999 TinTop 2WD Oil Guzzler with Hyper Seat :shock:
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:08 am

http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks

Return to “Bongo Chat”