The Dark Side

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Ian
Supreme Being

The Dark Side

Post by Ian » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:14 pm

We have today received a number of complaints that we have been spamming. On investigation it appears these emails were sent from the other bongo forum which is nothing to do with us. They want all existing users to re-register. Bad idea we reckon.

When we migrated this Bongo Fury Forum to a new platform in April we ensured that everything, including user registrations and archived discussions, were moved over at the same time. This made life easier for all of our many thousands of users. It wasn't easy (or cheap) to do, but worth it in the end, and we ensured that it remains free of charge to use our Forum, and that all posts from the past remained searchable in one place.

But on the "other" bongo forum they have started afresh and then invited all existing members to rejoin. They immediately went down to just 120 members, although I hope it picks up. I also hope their archives remain accessible.

They still have many misconceptions though. Here's a quote from their new forum:

It had been (sic) come very clear that the other alternative that many class as being a "Club" is is indeed a commercial operation that is run for profit and not for members.

Not true! This Bongo Fury Forum, as with the other one, is free to use. Also the Bongo Fury Club operates on a non-profit basis. You can inspect our books if you want!
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: The Dark Side

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:39 pm

been on here for a few years now - - - - - - - i wasnt aware there was another bongo forum. :? :? :?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:34 pm

Well there's a thing.
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:19 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:been on here for a few years now - - - - - - - i wasnt aware there was another bongo forum. :? :? :?
Surely youre aware of ll the aggro a couple of years back involving Neil.Rooster and BDC????? or is that diaphragm over yer eyes :lol:
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
alant54
Tribal Elder

Post by alant54 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:46 am

I have been on this forum for 11 years now....it is very informative and a vast source of expert knowledge...and quite amusing at times... =D>

The only commercial aspect is the Bongo shop which is no different to the businesses who advertise on the forum and is detached from this free forum as a separate operation.

Much like the business which advertises on the " other " forum of which I joined but found this forum friendlier and more useful especially for new users.

I have seen the accounts and this Bongo Fury forum is a non profit making concern.

I must add that I am not on any commission for posting this as Ian was too mean to offer..... :lol:

Alan
Alan...still plodding on....!
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:40 am

I am on both of theses excellent forums and other motoring forums, what I don't understand is why you need to pay to get fact sheet information. :?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:14 pm

rita wrote:I am on both of theses excellent forums and other motoring forums, what I don't understand is why you need to pay to get fact sheet information. :?
To encourage you to join BF perhaps?

On a general note, personally i don't care if Ian, Haydn, Dodgey and all make a fortune: their products/services are good and they've earned the right to. I respect (admire even - i've had a thousand good business ideas but never once had the nerve to take them to market) their entrepreneurialism and very much appreciate how they've made owning a Bongo a practical and fun experience through their commitment and hard work.

Just occasionally, i get a taste of sour grapes about all this but then i think its probably just my ageing senses deceiving me.

Brian - the Rooster/BDC thing was more like 8 years ago? Never really knew what happened there but i see Rooster is now selling leisure battery VSR charging kits for Bongos and getting good reports for product quality. No idea whether this was what caused Willinton to stop making the originals but i guess that's competition in business and - again - its great to know Bongo owners can still get an easy to fit VSR kit. It wasn't always like that as you and I can recall. Nor was tbe likes of solar panel fitting, arch welding, etc etc.

One thing that does stand out is that all these entrepreneurs were or are Bongo owners. Says something?
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:20 pm

rita wrote:I am on both of theses excellent forums and other motoring forums, what I don't understand is why you need to pay to get fact sheet information. :?
But why shouldn't we pay for them? The costs of running a forum need to be covered somehow. If you don't charge for using the forum you have to cover costs by selling something.
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:28 pm

I am also a member of the TEOC (Toyota Estima Owners Club) been on it for eleven years and still contribute ..

They to have a two tier system .. the freeby 'Forum user' (like me) .. or a paid up member who gets various 'perks'

But .. without any kind of member posting .. there would be no constructive forum ..!!
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:18 pm

roosmith wrote:
But why shouldn't we pay for them? The costs of running a forum need to be covered somehow. If you don't charge for using the forum you have to cover costs by selling something.
I would imagine that the contributors to the fact sheets would have given this information free, as happens on forums every day ,that is basically the purpose of forums.

If this information is required to make money then fair enough. :D

Good Luck.
Dabs
Supreme Being

Post by Dabs » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:49 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:been on here for a few years now - - - - - - - i wasnt aware there was another bongo forum. :? :? :?
And this is the best answer in regard to this.......let sleeping dogs lie.........

And Brian.......please don't resurrect the past.....whats gone is gone......your summary is incorrect anyway!

There can only ever be one Bongo Fury Club and Forum......lets just be glad Ian continues with it.....

Dabs (Ex Bongo owner of 6 years)
Its Oh so quiet!!..Ex Terra Lucem!!..A Leopard can't change his spots!
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:34 pm

I think You have been on The Dark Side ......Of The Moon.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:05 pm

Lots of clubs and charities rely on volunteers and free goodwill while employing a salaried professional appointee to run it. I think the adults who volunteer are all eyes wide open. I've often written about my hobbies free of charge for a magazine that sells for profit. It can be fun to do.
alant54
Tribal Elder

Post by alant54 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:39 pm

Dabs wrote:
And this is the best answer in regard to this.......let sleeping dogs lie.........

And Brian.......please don't resurrect the past.....whats gone is gone......your summary is incorrect anyway!

There can only ever be one Bongo Fury Club and Forum......lets just be glad Ian continues with it.....

Dabs (Ex Bongo owner of 6 years)

I totally agree Dabs.... =D> ...the forum went through a very difficult period at the time...but thankfully now it is a very friendly and informative platform for users.

Alan
Alan...still plodding on....!
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:07 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:Lots of clubs and charities rely on volunteers and free goodwill while employing a salaried professional appointee to run it. I think the adults who volunteer are all eyes wide open. I've often written about my hobbies free of charge for a magazine that sells for profit. It can be fun to do.

That's brilliant , I am sure the Big Issue will be chuffed, keep up the good work.

=D> =D> =D>

Return to “Bongo Chat”