Plug sockets

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Syner
Bongonaut

Plug sockets

Post by Syner » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:25 pm

Sorry posting lots of questions today.

My bongo is not a conversion, however it has two plug sockets at the rear of the van with an EHU underneath the van. Whist camping earlier this week I bought a cable for it. But, the van kept tripping the campsite bollard. Any ideas what might be wrong?
scootmonkee
Bongonaut

Re: Plug sockets

Post by scootmonkee » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:52 pm

Hello.
What were you running (what did you have plugged into the van sockets)? Unlike homes, campsite hook-ups have a limit on the power that can be drawn (and this can differ, from site to site, from 5amp to 16amp etc from recent experience).

If you were trying to run a hair dryer, for example (800 to 1800 watts, typically) that would be from 3.5amps to 7.8amps, just for the hair dryer. That would blow a low-power site, even at 800 watts. Electric kettles are also big users of power, as are fan heaters. Fridges, even condensing fridges, can draw quite a bit when starting off/kicking back in when the temperature rises. It all adds up.

Have a read of this: http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co ... ravanners/

Use this calculator after checking the ratings of the gear you are trying to use: http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electri ... ulator.htm

It may be that you simply overloaded the site connection. On the other hand, there may be a fault at the site end or with your cables/sockets/connections/gear. Eliminate the obvious first.

Hope this helps.
It starts with love for foliage and ends in camouflage...
Syner
Bongonaut

Post by Syner » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:55 pm

The first time I plugged in an iphone charger and it tripped the bollard.
Then with the site manager present, I plugged in a camping lamp.

Then someone else hooked up to it and it worked fine. Seems to definitely be an issue with the van.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:09 pm

Could be wired incorrectly, the Post's have an RCD built into them (legal requirement), same as you should have a Consumer unit with RCD and MCB's to isolate to meet regulations. Another problem with a socket underneath is that the connectors are only IP44 - Splash-proof, rather than waterproof consequently you can get moisture into the socket that then trips the RCD in the EHU post as soon as you connect it.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Syner
Bongonaut

Post by Syner » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:28 pm

Thank you.

This does sound like its likely to be the problem. I did think it seemed strange to place it under the van.

Return to “Bongo Chat”