Wannabe be owner

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Bongowannabe
Apprentice Bongonaut

Wannabe be owner

Post by Bongowannabe » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:21 am

Hi Everyone - the past few weeks I have been reading details on here and other sites, looking to buy my 1st bongo, I have been and looked at a few real rust buckets - one had 12month mot no advisories, there was lumps of rust falling off the underside and the coolant tank was empty - obviously I kept well clear of this
I'm looking to buy a non converted with pop top to take out a few times to get a feel what the best type of conversion will be for me, I have been looking on eBay, gumtree, pre loved and here 4 or 5 times a day :)
For best value is there a better time to buy one ? I want to use it as my car and also take camping next year so no real rush but want to make sure I get good value and a quality motor - am I looking on the best places or should I be looking somewhere else ?
Thanks for your time
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Wannabe be owner

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:00 am

Rust is definitely something to look out for on these ageing motors esp if they've been in the uk many years. Pop top roof also can play up as they get old. And i needed a new head last year. So mine has had periods of absence while stuff got fixed and i have to live with being carless at times. And you need a good mechanic and welder! But otherwise its been a fantastic everyday car for 10 years. Not a normal car experience though!
Bongowannabe
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bongowannabe » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:52 am

Thanks for reply - any good advice on buying one? I'm thinking try to find someone who's family have outgrown one they they looked after rather than a dealer who will always tell you it's been looked after
curious cate
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by curious cate » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:14 pm

im in the same situ as you..hankering for a bongo/freda but not fluent in bongolese..
im figuring the prices will dip in the winter so was going to hang on till nov-feb giving me the chance to build confidence meantime.
im insured on my friends freda atm- Mreg 2.5 auto and i LOVE her.
will follow this post with interest.
x
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:10 pm

Welcome to both of you. :D

There's a info on buying on here, well worth a read. :wink:

http://igmaynard.co.uk/buying/

Can't improve on that really.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:28 pm

A few more links in this FAQ post
http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... =43&t=7229
Bongowannabe wrote:.... I'm thinking try to find someone who's family have outgrown one they they looked after rather than a dealer who will always tell you it's been looked after
I'd agree that during a private purchase you are more likely to make a between-the-lines assessment of how the Bongo was looked after, though of course buying from trade does give a bit more recourse post-sale for what its worth (cynic here, unless it is a recommended Bongo dealer). In vehicles this age, past tlc is important. They are very unlikely to be perfect so the ideal is one that has had loads of preventive maintenance and the minimum standard is where the owner has diligently kept abreast of all maintenance.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD

Return to “Bongo Chat”