Bongo Buying Advice

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

petejleonard
Bongonaut

Bongo Buying Advice

Post by petejleonard » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:23 pm

Hi all,

After a bit of advice/reassurance really.
I'm looking at a Bongo from a private seller, it's a 2006 model imported mid 2015 - converted by UK Poptops (full side conversion) and had one owner since.

I have been to see it and all looks good, body work is sound (bar a few expected scuffs and dents).
I am going back to test drive it, but I am expecting that mechanically it will be good. - Its not been long since the import/conversion and I would like to think it was thoroughly serviced at that point - there is documentation for a belt change. Serviced a few months but only has a couple months left on the MOT.

There was no rust visible but apparently it's not been waxoyled underneath. - This would need to be done.

I was thinking about getting an RAC/AA vehicle inspection to give a bit more piece of mind about it mechanically as I'm certainly no expert in this regard, but I don't really know how worthwhile they are - expensive too at ~£200.

Another issue for me, that I find odd is that the import/conversion company did the Odometer wrong. There is a certificate showing the change from km to miles, but the numbers aren't correct. It says something like 95000km - new odometer set to 47000 miles (which is 12000 miles wrong).

I think this was an error by the importers and nothing intentional on the sellers behalf. However its a bit annoying...

Overall, it's one of the best looking Bongos I've seen.
I guess my question is: would the mileage discrepancy make you walk away from it? and do you guys usually insist on doing a RAC/AA vehicle inspection to check for any mechanical issues - or would you be happy knowing it's been serviced and drives well on a test drive. etc.

I know there are no definitive answers but any thoughts welcomed and appreciated.

Vehicle is advertised for £14k
MalcW
Bongonaut

Re: Bongo Buying Advice

Post by MalcW » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:18 pm

I would be slightly concerned about why the km/mileage figure is so far out. Also, you say it is a 2006 model, but production ended in 2005. I suppose it could be a very late model that got registered in 2006? Have you seen the buying guide http://igmaynard.co.uk/buying/ ?
petejleonard
Bongonaut

Post by petejleonard » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:31 pm

MalcW wrote:I would be slightly concerned about why the km/mileage figure is so far out. Also, you say it is a 2006 model, but production ended in 2005. I suppose it could be a very late model that got registered in 2006? Have you seen the buying guide http://igmaynard.co.uk/buying/ ?
Yes, I am slightly concerned about it as obviously someone has either made a mistake at some point (which is a bit negligent) or has intentionally tried to reduce the mileage which is probably worse. If it is just a case that the mileage is higher than it says and everything else is fine, then i don't think I have a problem with it provided that the additional depreciation it is accounted for in the price.

Yeah, it is a 55 plate. But i think it was just a very late one as vehicle check gives the date manufactured as 2006.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:28 pm

A rough location would help us to help you. :wink:
petejleonard
Bongonaut

Post by petejleonard » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:44 pm

Bob wrote:A rough location would help us to help you. :wink:
Hi. Location?

I'm based in Manchester. Van was originally sold in the UK by Southlands Motor Company in Newcastle (apparently UK Pop Tops did the conversion). Van is now near Leeds.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:14 pm

It may be worth your while going down the AA/RAC inspection route if you are not techy minded.
Am I right in thinking that the AA offer a mechanical breakdown insurance?
That may be worth considering also.
£14000.00 is a lorra dosh so £200.00 quid is cheap if they find something not to their/your liking.
Just my two pence worth. :D

Return to “Bongo Chat”