Replacing ATF metal pipes

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

elbee
Bongolier

Replacing ATF metal pipes

Post by elbee » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:21 pm

Hi Folkes, I'm planning to change the metal ATF pipes that run from the transmission to the front radiator as mine has a slight weep. I've ordered the pipes and rubber hoses.

Any advice on fitting them bleeding afterwards etc, I'm also changing the radiator and top and bottom hoses the same time, I'm aware of the see saw bleeding required afterwards re coolant change as I've done this before but any other advice is welcome.

Many thanks
Alacrity
Tribal Elder

Re: Replacing ATF metal pipes

Post by Alacrity » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:02 am

No bleeding required. Fit them then start it up then just check your transmission oil level with the engine running in park. Top up as required, don't overfill, set it to the bottom mark when its cold then check again when hot using the top mark on the dipstick.
35+ years working with autogearboxes - all day every day......for my sins
elbee
Bongolier

Post by elbee » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:11 pm

Many thanks 👍
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:58 pm

I just changed my over the gearbox pipe 2 days ago & also went to change the top radiator rubber hose at the same time. When I removed the top hose from the metal pipe that runs towards the engine the part that sits under the rubber hose was badly rotted & a big section broke away when removing the rubber hose. The odd thing is the rest of the pipe is totally solid, just a bit of light surface rust. Just picked the new pipe up this morning & just about to go out & fit it now.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
elbee
Bongolier

Post by elbee » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:57 pm

Well I replaced the ATF metal pipes and the metal heater coolant pipe a few days ago. Not the easiest job to be honest, access was very restricted but eventually all sorted in the end. Also took the opportunity of replacing most other coolant hoses , new coolant and see saw bleeding of system.
Billybongo123
Bongolier

Post by Billybongo123 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:54 am

Good work, I didn't find it that easy to change all the steel pipes with engine out, so hats off to you sir. Good effort. At least it's all sorted. 💪😊
We love our rusty Bongo "Billy", despite his many faults!

Return to “Techie Stuff”