Glow plugs and electrical Gremlins

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bonglorious
Apprentice Bongonaut

Glow plugs and electrical Gremlins

Post by Bonglorious » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:36 pm

Hi All,

I have owned my Bongo for a few years now and although tatty, in all that time she's been pretty strong and reliable. However recently she's been lumpy difficult start in the mornings, so off to the garage she went for a new set glowplugs.(edited - previously said spark plugs)

Following this, she started really well, but the following day I couldn't get her started. I looked under the bonnet and found a fuse which had blown, the fuse was an inline type coming off the battery and going straight to the glow plugs relay switch. I duly replaced it and discovered that well before the switch had engaged the fuse would blow.

Off she went back to the garage (her name is Silvia by the way) who very kindly looked into the problem. They removed the in line fuse with the explanation that the wire connecting the battery to the relay wasn't up to the job, hence the fuse blowing. In so doing they reported they had found, tucked under the battery, a cable with a brown connector which plugged straight into the relay.

In summary they replaced the in line connection from the battery with the brown connecting block.

Again, the van started up fine and on my way I went.

I headed out to set off in my van this afternoon only to find that, although she turns over well and there is an audible clunk from the relay, she just will not catch.

The guys are on their way over to have a look at some point this afternoon, but in the meantime I thought I might see if anyone can shed some light on why the brown connector might have been replaced by the inline, fused power supply in the first place.

Many thanks

B.Glorious
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Glow plugs and electrical Gremlins

Post by Bob » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:45 pm

Hi.

Something not right here, the diesel will have glow plugs and the petrol engines have spark plugs, not both.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but let's wish Sylvia a speedy recovery. [-o<

And welcome aboard. 8)
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:19 pm

bar joining glow plugs is live and may be shorting some were
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:05 pm

wonkanoby wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:19 pm bar joining glow plugs is live and may be shorting some were
Thats my hunch also. The symptoms sound classic. Have a search for old threads with the words 'plug AND rail'

Cant remember the details but some Bongos need shorter glow plugs than others and this can cause a short if the plug top touches the rail. Summat like that anyway. If Northern Bongolow comes on here, he's a guy that has done a lot
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:08 pm

you summed it up fine mike.

if you had long plugs originally fitted which some do, then they were replaced with short plugs the insulated plastic covered link bar that links all 4 plugs together can take a week or 2 to rub through the insulation on the injector link pipes that are directly underneath, this at best caused no power to get to the glow plugs, at worst can burn through the metal fuel pipes (welding), it can blow the fuseible link next to the battery terminal, or take out the relay etc.
you said you have found a brown wire linked to the battery, this sounds like someone has tried to make a work around the fuseable link blowing situation in the past and this brown wire supplied the power to the relay or plugs.
check the insulated bar on its underside for signs of rubbing/shorting then make sure you get power to all 4 plug tops with a multimeter to earth.

this is the fuseable link on the battery pos terminal.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mazda ... cPaTmsYAdM:.

this is the insulated rail. 18-154.
http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:08 pm

Great reply there Ady =D> =D> =D>
Bonglorious
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bonglorious » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:15 am

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies,
Bonglorious wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:36 pm I have owned my Bongo for a few years now and although tatty, in all that time she's been pretty strong and reliable. However recently she's been lumpy difficult start in the mornings, so off to the garage she went for a new set of Spark plugs.
Doh! I was obviously having a brain dead afternoon, Silvia is a 2.5 TD, there are no spark plugs here! Only glow plugs.

I'm in the middle of moving house, so it's been a bit of a pain. I took it back to the garage before having an opportunity to read these replies and they removed another in line fuse connecting the relay to the main battery and so far it seems ok. I wish I had taken a photo of the set up I had before heading to the garage.

When I get a chance I'll have a look under the seats to see if I can identify any signs of past rubbing on the insulated rail.

Many thanks,

Dominic
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:03 am

Moving house if far more 'Fun' thank you need. :?

That would scramble anoyne's head, but glad there seems to be progress. 8)

Return to “Techie Stuff”