Handbrake light not lit…..no beeping no roof

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

scottit
Apprentice Bongonaut

Handbrake light not lit…..no beeping no roof

Post by scottit » Mon May 28, 2018 7:14 pm

Camping at Symonds Yat cut short when we found we had no where to sleep after roof not opening.

Problem is that the handbrake light is NOT coming on and there is no beeping. The handbrake switch seems to work fine - tested it with volt meter. Checked fuses for the roof and they seem fine.

Can anyone tell me if there is anything else I should be checking if handbrake light is not lighting up on the dash?

Can anyone tell me how i can check the continuity of the handbrake switch wire - e.g. where does it go and where does it come out after it disappears under the dash?

Am I right in assuming a blown handbrake light bulb in the dash would NOT cause the problem not to open - e.g. even with a blown bulb roof would still work?

Any help appreciated top get our half term holiday back on track.

Mike in Bristol
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Handbrake light not lit…..no beeping no roof

Post by Bob » Mon May 28, 2018 7:22 pm

Oh dear. :(

Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the switch?

Should be easy to try as it's a very simple thing, and hopefuly someone (Geoff [-o< ) may have some thoughts.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon May 28, 2018 7:35 pm

Remove the centre console and the switch is visible from the passenger side check the connectot and blow the dust out of the switch contacts;
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon May 28, 2018 9:08 pm

scottit , a wee test you can carry out, start the engine, stop the engine, switch on ignition (Don't start the engine) pump brake pedal until its hard, if the brake warning light comes on the problem is probably the hand brake switch. The brake warning light serves low brake fluid level ,handbrake On, low vacuum .

Take care
scottit
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by scottit » Tue May 29, 2018 11:23 am

Thanks for your super quick reply.

The dash brake light does indeed come on when I pump the brakes as described in your post.

I have rechecked the handbrake switch with my voltmeter set to continuity and there is definitely;y contact when the handbrake is on.

Any idea how i can check the continuity of this wire AFTER it disappears under the dash - where does it come out?

Is there anything else other than the handbrake switch which would cause the dash light NOT to illuminate with hand brake on? For example a fault roof control unit?

KInd regards

Mike
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue May 29, 2018 1:46 pm

The signal from the Brake switch goes direct to the lamp itself, as well as the brake fluid signals, this then feeds of to the ECU and the AFT computer

Check the connector to the switch itself, someone recently reported that it had become disconnected when some garage work had been carried out which involved moving the bridge to get to the top of the engine.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
scottit
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by scottit » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:19 pm

Thanks for all the replies - the problem has just been sorted! With the knowledge from the wiring diagram that the handbrake wire goes straight to the bulb in the dash……and in the secure knowledge that the bulb was working (thanks to a tip from the member above) I started the laborious process of tracing the handbrake wire under the dash…….Lo and behold a mysterious black plastic box was wedged between the wiring loom and the right hand side of passenger footwell. It was a paint box complete with a set of crayons and a paint brush. on removal….the handbrake light came on and the roof worked as normal. How bizarre. I have replaced the handbrake wire and now we are back in business and ready for the heatwave….Mike in Bristol
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:32 pm

Ah yes, the well known 'Box of crayons' fault. 8)

Seriously, well done finding this oddy, and thanks for letting us know. 8)
Tymmuffphii
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Tymmuffphii » Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:17 pm

Hiya guys I'm facing same issue when working on my starter motor ( long story ) I thought it may of been the wire connectors stopping me from starting Van-Diresel up, but looks like it's the start of a solanoid issue, upon checking I noticed I didn't need the foot break to take it out of Park so I tested the handbrake and lost the hand break switch, the spring propelled it somewhere and I'm still looking for it. Can someone please point me to where I can I can get a replacement switch? I'm only finding footbreak switches. In the meantimey AFT won't go up until I put the ground wire from the switch directly on the metal.

Nb I have an MOT in March 2024. Would this be a failure as the hand break still works etc!

Thanks
:shock: Muff Tha Bongo Boi :lol:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:45 pm

The switch is fabricated from bits, its not a standard part, best bet would be to visit a breakers and retrieve the spring and plastic parts and then re-assemble them on yours.
It might be an MoT failure as the dashboard brake light won't be operating as its meant to.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Tymmuffphii
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Tymmuffphii » Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:40 pm

Thanks for that, I have a black plastic part but not sure what else I'm missing! I do have another small issue though. As I took the "AUTO" Gear stick off to look for the handbrake switch, and reassembled it, iv noticed that the gear shifter will move from *PARK* without pushing the button or the use of the footbreak! Could anyone shed some light in this or should I create a new post?

😄😄😄 :mrgreen:
:shock: Muff Tha Bongo Boi :lol:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:43 pm

:-) Can I suggest you look at the mechanical diagrams before taking other bits apart ;-)
It sounds like you have not re-engaged the button, its spring, and catch behind the button with the rest of the mechanism for the gear stick!
There isn't a detailed diagram to point you at but these are the major components https://www.lushprojects.com/bongoparts ... mgno=.html

The best photo of the Brake switch I have is this one;
Handbrake_switch.jpg
The screw upper right has the brake signal wire connected to it before it passes down into the plastic block, with spring, when the brake is pulled on it earths the signal wire to light the lamp and signal to the AFT computer that the handbrake is operated.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”