Rough start but then no problem at all

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

alze
Bongonaut

Rough start but then no problem at all

Post by alze » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:19 am

Hi fellow bongonauts !

I've had my bongo a few few years, but just recently its aquired the need to keep turning it over until it starts when starting from cold.

I have to keep the ignition key turned and throttle open, and sure it enough the bongo starts and then drives flawlessley, no smoke, no overheating. If I havent left the bongo for too long, it restarts without fault, its only from cold.

It has been the first year I've not had a 'full' service on the Bongo since owning it due to the pandemic and my other car costing a bit year before last, but usually i get a full service every year. We havent done any 'big' distances due to the pandemic, we mostly drive between 100-200 miles a month.

Would appreciate any advice, as when I'm without my Bongo life is just not the same (Wife and I love going out for drives in it!) and am hoping to keep it going for as long as I can drive !

Kind Regards,

Alan

Model :- 1997 Diesel Mazda Bongo Friendee
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Rough start but then no problem at all

Post by Bob » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:07 am

I'd start with glow plugs, but it's a fact no vehicle likes being sat idle.

I'm guilty. :oops:

Bongy going out first time in 3 weeks as we have to get tested tomorrow. :roll:
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:20 am

When you say throttle open I take it you mean you push the throttle pedal full down?.
When starting a diesel bongo you should not touch the throttle, it should all be done automatically, the ECU adjust the fuel pump and engages the cold start solenoids etc.
If it doesn't like starting this way as bob says check the glow plugs, they don't last forever, when it's cold put up the driver's seat, turn on the ignition and see if the pump sets ready for start, you should see the throttle cable move up a tad, and listen for the clicking relays just above the fuel injectors on the same side of the engine.
alze
Bongonaut

Post by alze » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:40 pm

Many thanks all - really apprecaite the responses.
I have some glowplugs here thankfully, but its a tad dark to do it now.
I'll check it out at the weekend, really great advice on checking the relay, will do that first light Saturday.
Is changing the glowplugs straightforward enough or should I take it to my local bongo expert to do ?
(I can change spark plugs on motorbikes/cars)
A.
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:35 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:20 am When you say throttle open I take it you mean you push the throttle pedal full down?.
When starting a diesel bongo you should not touch the throttle, it should all be done automatically, the ECU adjust the fuel pump and engages the cold start solenoids etc.
If it doesn't like starting this way as bob says check the glow plugs, they don't last forever, when it's cold put up the driver's seat, turn on the ignition and see if the pump sets ready for start, you should see the throttle cable move up a tad, and listen for the clicking relays just above the fuel injectors on the same side of the engine.
I do recall reading that for cold starting / difficulty starting the throttle should be depressed about 1/8th? I think it's in the owners handbook (not the service manual). I'll dig it out when it's not 2C outside!
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:33 am

Check for a slight leak at the diesel pump, you'll notice a little dampness around it if it is leaking slightly.

My theory is when they start to leak here it lets air in and the longer it is left the more air goes in.

It then needs full throttle to push enough fuel through whilst cranking for a good few seconds, without full throttle the battery runs down before you get enough fuel through.

I'd also check the banjo filter and clean it out and make sure it has had a fuel filter change sometime recently.
ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:29 pm

Mine is doing the exact same thing lately.

Guess I'll start with the glow plugs
ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:47 pm

Just wanted to quickly ask which glow plugs I should go with?

98 2.5TD so I think the website recommends the 83mm

https://bongoland.co.uk/product/glowplugs-pre-99-set-4/

But I've also read on here that the 102mm will also fit as the extra length is on the outside.
https://bongoland.co.uk/product/set-of- ... ugs-102mm/

Would there be any benefit to using one over other?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:07 pm

If you change the length then the busbar connecting them may need tweaking especially if you go from long to short as otherwise its liable to short out to the injector pipes and blows the fusible link that protects the glowplug circuit.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:00 pm

Ah OK, I'll just go for the shorter ones so as that should be what's in mine. Is there anything else that I should be replacing at the same time or will i just put in the glow plugs and see if that does the trick?
ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:51 pm

Glow plugs were delivered this morning, excellent service =D>
Have them fitted now and it's starting perfectly again 8)

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”