Going for a bongo today, need some advice.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Going for a bongo today, need some advice.

Post by Hazzobongo » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:41 am

Hi folks

I've just registered today as I've got my first bongo viewing at an importers in the N.E.

I've viewed the photos of the van in question and its a peach to look at with 43k on the clock and only one of the pics raises my concerns. It's a 2 litre aero tintop. The picture is one of the engine which looks to be leaking oil from either the rocker cover or the cylinder head which has stained/coated the gearbox casing.

If I can see its from the rocker cover when I get in there should I be worried?

If I suspect its from the CH should I walk away?

As I've said the whole car looks rust free, is gleaming externally, its a 2001 with immaculate interior.

The viewing is at 11AM so some advice beforehand would be appreciated, tia. Hazzo
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Re: Going for a bongo today, need some advice.

Post by Hazzobongo » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:48 am

No takers, got to leave for the dealership in 30 minutes and really would like an opinion before I part with the deposit. Hazzo
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:13 am

Difficult to give advice without seeing the vehicle, but welcome aboard. :)

Good luck with the viewing.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:34 pm

Difficult to say one persons splash is another persons leak! Really need at least some photo's but even then its difficult to see extent and volume. The 2l isn't known especially for leaking but the engines are open to road spray and you never know how carefully oil has been added in the past!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Post by Hazzobongo » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:55 pm

Yeah well I viewed it and wasn't happy with such a low miler and the oil leak seemed to be from the CH rather than the rocker cover, I couldn't download the image to post it here for some reason either, then I test drove it and noticed the temp guage didn't even move from its rest stop yet the photographs these people had taken quite plainly showed it at the 11 oclock mark and not knowing where the sensor would plug into the system I decided they were trying to hide something so made my excuses and left.

The car itself was immaculate, it actually looked better in real life than the images they'd taken so was pretty gutted to have to walk away but not prepared to hand over 8k to then start stripping and rebuilding the top end. The car is actually for my son so I'm just glad I went to look it over as I know he'd have left the deposit as he has no interest in cars generally and wouldn't know what to look for.

Thanks for the replies, the hunt continues. Hazzo
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:48 pm

Yes the gauge should be at 11:00 position after 10 minutes driving, if no reading then its definite suspect!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”