wheel temperatures while driving

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bobby_badger
Bongonaut

wheel temperatures while driving

Post by bobby_badger » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:59 pm

Hi all

I fear this is a daft question but I have to ask it. Is it normal for the wheels to be hot after driving for a while? I have normal non-alloy wheels and I mean the main metal bit that gets bolted to the car, not the detachable trims. I'll call these the wheel rims - please correct me if this is not the correct name.

I normally check our tyres at the local supermarket garage 2 minutes from home. That was out of order on Saturday so I stopped at a garage about 7 miles away to check our tyres and put a little air into them. I noticed the wheel rims were warm. I have never noticed this before but I've usually only driven 2 minutes when checking my tyres. We drove onto our destination, another 8 or so miles up and down hills, and I checked them again and they were hot. Both front ones, not the rears. I know brakes work via friction and I imagine the front brakes take most of the load but is it normal for the wheels to get hot? It's a 2.5L 4WD.

Thanks,
Iain
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: wheel temperatures while driving

Post by g8dhe » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:40 pm

If the brake is binding then yes they will get hot, is it just one side at the front ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
bobby_badger
Bongonaut

Post by bobby_badger » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:46 pm

Both sides. By binding you mean sticking? We haven't used the van very much over the winter but we have used it every 2 or 3 weeks, for journeys of of 30 minutes or so.
Tessie
Bongolier

Post by Tessie » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:28 am

The act of braking will create heat because of the friction of the pads against the disc. It depends how often and for how long the brakes are applied as to how much heat will be created. You say that the wheels were warm but then hot so unless you have been braking excessively you wouldn't expect the wheels to be really hot in a short distance covered.

It is a fairly easy job to check if the brakes are binding by jacking the wheels off the ground and spinning them by hand, applying the brakes and then releasing to see if the wheels turn fairly easily. It is quite possible that the brakes are binding if the calipers or pistons are sticking.

If you are not confident about checking it out yourself get the vehicle to a trusted garage and have the brakes examined to make sure they are working as they should. There is nothing particularly out of the ordinary with Bongo braking systems so any competent garage should be able to sort them out for you.
Never run out of road, traction and ideas at the same time.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:09 am

The wheels likely won’t spin by hand on a 4wd. :wink:
bobby_badger
Bongonaut

Post by bobby_badger » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:24 pm

Thanks all - sounds like I'd better get them checked out :( Better to have it happen now than when we're away in it I guess :D
Tessie
Bongolier

Post by Tessie » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:27 pm

Bob wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:09 am The wheels likely won’t spin by hand on a 4wd. :wink:
Ah! missed that bit :oops: , probably because mine is a 2wd and I can spin the wheels.........when the brakes aren't binding :roll:
Never run out of road, traction and ideas at the same time.
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:16 pm

Get yourself a contactless thermometer. Great piece of kit for checking for binding brakes. immediately after a run with lots of braking measure the temp of the wheels (or ideally on the brake discs). The front wheels will always be a good bit hotter than the rears but you are looking for a big difference between each wheel on the same axle. Wouldn't really want to see more than 5°C difference between each brake.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:27 pm

Bob wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:09 am The wheels likely won’t spin by hand on a 4wd. :wink:
If they don't , you need to have them checked out.

Return to “Techie Stuff”