Thermostat not opening bottom hose cold

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Gazjen
Apprentice Bongonaut

Thermostat not opening bottom hose cold

Post by Gazjen » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:20 pm

Hi All,

New member but I've been reading the forum for awhile. its a great source of knowledge. I am after a bit of help if I may.
I have bought a project bongo that has coolant issues, engine appears to run ok a little smokey on start but otherwise ok.
It gets hot whilst bleeding in the garage, I have watched the videos on bleeding and tried a few times. I have fitted a genuine Mazda water pump today and Thermostat and it is still the same. I've had the thermal camera on it also and the stat housing is getting hot but it doesn't seem that the stat is opening. The bottom hose and even the pipe directly below the stat is cold, the hose on the drivers side (Top engine hose) appears to be emptying and requires squeezing to get hot every so often.
The previous owners were driving it about with no water in I believe so I am now suspecting possible gasket/head damage just thought I'd ask here if anyone had anything else to try before I start stripping the head off tomorrow.
Thanks In advance
Gaz
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Thermostat not opening bottom hose cold

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:45 pm

I always start by doing a pressure test, if its not holding pressure it won't hold coolant.
The front and rear heaters can sometimes be an issue, airlocking. Check the flow through the heaters, sometimes they require a squeeze or two. Try to get as much coolant into the system as you can by squeezing all the pipes then start the engine.
Once running and hot does the system hold, or does it push coolant out.
Gazjen
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Gazjen » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:56 pm

Hi, Thanks for the reply

The heaters appear to be ok they get nice and hot, it doesn't force coolant out with the caps on its gets hot before then and I chicken out and switch off the engine. I've ordered a sniffer kit that should be here tomorrow, I'm tempted to take the stat out and see how it goes without. I've read about trapping an aspirin in the stat to help with bleeding, I wondered if anyone had tried that?
Alan808
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Alan808 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:10 pm

I recently bled mine.

And took a good 40 mins for the bottom hoses to get hot.

Have you talked the thermostat out and tested it to check its working?

Return to “Techie Stuff”