Baffled - glowplug warning and dark current maybe

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

gilly99
Bongonaut

Baffled - glowplug warning and dark current maybe

Post by gilly99 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:28 pm

Started getting the dreaded glowplug warning and limp mode, so just doing the usual before diving-in, eg collecting diagnostic codes (the normal suspects 1114, 0400 & 1228).

I have a battery isolator, the type that unscrews at the terminal, so been collecting codes, clearing faults by isolating the battery etc.... bear with me....

When shorting the scavenger fan sensor, the glowplug light flashes, but does not trigger the fault....hmmm. if I wait long enough at idle, the warning flashes-up and the turbo actuator immediately springs fully into the turbo. When no fault and at idle the actuator appears held fully retracted by vacuum. The actuator / vanes movement feels lovely and free.

In-between this fun, have noticed that the beast still lives with the battery completely isolated, ie the dash lights up, the glowplug relay clicks and what I think is the fuel pump (or maybe ECU relay or something towards back of engine) clicks-on and hums / very feint high pitched buzzing. Turn the key several times, and all appears normal - won't start of course as battery is disconnected - what the hell? Is there a capacitor of some sort someplace?

With the battery disconnected, the only way to stop this feint buzzing and clear the dash completely is to press the brake pedal. When the fault is cleared, and battery fully connected, the feint buzzing is there during normal ignition ON, but stops a few moments after ignition OFF and removing the key.

I think the fuel pump priming or ECU relay being live with ignition OFF (ie the buzz) for a few moments is normal, but continuing with the battery completely isolated for 10mins or so is completely foxing me!!!

What else are Sundays for 🤔 ... I can chase around the glowplug warnings...... but the 'dark current' is close to breaking me.... any ideas?
4wd diesel, 1999 ex tintop with lowline raising roof
Keep a cool head, black ball game.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Baffled - glowplug warning and dark current maybe

Post by g8dhe » Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:52 pm

Do you have a leisure battery and Swap Loom fitted ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
gilly99
Bongonaut

Re: Baffled - glowplug warning and dark current maybe

Post by gilly99 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:52 am

Yes, with split relay and also solar panel with fancy MPPT charge control. The leisure battery is disconnected (negative only), and solar to main battery diconnected at the controller.

The battery isolator has about 2-3mm of nylon that separates the main battery negative lead to the terminal when undone. Maybe that's not enough gap and some potential can pass across? As I assume only 12-16v there, I had discounted that.

Baffling, and really don't want to chase down every circuit by pulling fuses one by one. Anyway, have started applying penetrate to the exhaust studs in preparation for cleaning the turbo out. Here's hoping that's the fix.
4wd diesel, 1999 ex tintop with lowline raising roof
Keep a cool head, black ball game.

Return to “Techie Stuff”