3M headlight restoration kit purchased

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

3M headlight restoration kit purchased

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:41 pm

I will let you know how I get on. I did see it was mentioned to read the instructions through a few times before starting which I have.
Going to try and give it a go this week given reasonable weather. Seems logical, start coarse then get finer and finer, water spary bottle, then use a foam pad and provided polishing paste. I think the trick (as is repeated at every stage) is to ensure there are no coarse scratches left which obviosuly will not easily come out using finer and finer sanding materials.

I did read someone did it on here so that is how I became inspired to get one as ours are rather oxidised on the top 50pct of lens if that is the right term. They have a layer of some opaque discoloured stuff that is not removable using a fingernail, so is somehow bonded or has eroded the surface. Years of sun, and water with road oils etc thrown at them.

I will go slow and easy as suggested and see how I get on.
wwaveydave
Bongonaut

Re: 3M headlight restoration kit purchased

Post by wwaveydave » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:49 pm

My garage does this for me every time I get my Van MoT'd. I don't even think I pay for it. Or if I do it's negligible.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:29 pm

I have had an MOT where they gave them a rub, on another vehicle though, but not extensive restoration. It has never come up
at MOT presumeably as enough light comes from the lower 50pct in the correct pattern.

I am preempting a fail on that which might beyond a rub. The toothpaste suggestion is always funny.

I am hoping this provide a longer lasting fix. i.e. not having to do the same thing over and over each year.
Windstille
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Windstille » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:35 pm

I did mine a few months ago with the 3M kit. I was struggling to do 50 on full beam before, but they light up the road wonderfully now!
Really satisfying job to do you see the results straight away.

It's worth keeping the sanding wheel moving at all times, if you hold it still in one place there's a risk you melt the plastic. Also, we've got soft water but I still didn't get the 3000 grit to lather up as instructed. Still came out fine.

This reminds me I had intended to put a clear coat on Toronto protect from further UV degradation but never got round to it..
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:06 am

Good tip Winstille.

Before doing Bongo maintenance I like to take things in a bit and get a close look. The problem is less so frosting that you sometimes
see on those oval looking lenses from classic 90's cars but more of a slight varnishing / oxidization with a distinct border, which is uneven.

Thus far MOT has never mentioned it so I conclude this could be fixing a problem that does not exist.

I cleaned them with water and fairy liquid and I have run over with some super fine rubbing compound and taken a layer off which still leaves a completely shiny surface, did it with an old toothbrush and water :lol: I have rtied the toothpaste on an old Chrysler Neon and it was time wasted. I will leave that lens which has a less defined edge to the varnishing and is a shade less yellow than the other lens for the 10mins scrub it had.

If it is ok in 24 hours then I will do the other one the same and call it job done.

As MOT is not throwing this up it is rather a cosmetic thing. Incidentally one that no one ever sees. The lights one th Bongo are not great especially compared with modern vehicles despite having Osram Night breaker bulbs (a little more white and more focus to the road by 30pct according to Osram)

No point making work, and I have the kit for the future if it gets much worse.

Return to “Techie Stuff”