First non start for a long while...

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

First non start for a long while...

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:19 pm

Was temporarily stuck in the supermarket car park but got her going ! Gulp.

Started fine on the way, when I started I think I saw a glow plug light go dim, I was not super focussed on that though as panic immediately set in when it did not start imediately. I had a multimeter and read 12.31V - supposedly partially discharged.

Anyway I put the hand brake on again and pressed brake pedal and cycled through the gears as I had recalled a hesitant start a couple of times before.. it kind of felt a bit like a sticky starter motor, that is what sprang to mind anyway.

Got home, phew... ran engine for 25mins to heat everything up / dry out engine bay and re-charge batterybattery in hallways and using good draper charger on it, within 1min charger says full, and given it started the van I think battery can be ruled out.

So am I to think the starter motor is on its way out. Airport run tomorrow so it's all a tad iffy ! Now batt 12.85V so yes charged ok so we know alternator works too.

Qiick question old school hack ! (You know what's coming :lol: )

Bit of wood and a hammer an option ? LOL Yes I recall my brothers in the 70's with their old bangers.

I saw ona video probably Ian's (mustbeIan on youtube?) on my phone whilst running the engine that it is on drivers side nand a bit of wood and rubber hammer might be worth taking around with me till I get to the bottom of it.

Seems like aging sticky start motor ?

Am I missing anything ?.. it did start, so unless I was being hasty (after a partial warm up to 70C on the Haydn temp alarm) and started a bit before the amber light went off(glowplugs were brand new since 4 years ago. cheers for your thoughts.
gilly99
Bongonaut

Re: First non start for a long while...

Post by gilly99 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:38 pm

If your convinced the battery is good and it's a 'sticky' motor, then remove the starter motor, check the bearing and that the gear flies out freely on the spline??
4wd diesel, 1999 ex tintop with lowline raising roof
Keep a cool head, black ball game.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:01 pm

You don't say how it didn't start ? Was the starter motor not working at all ? Was it turning but not engaging ?
A common problem if the starter wasn't turning at all, just a click from the area alone, then its almost always the contactors that need replacing, they switch the power (very high current) to the motor itself, over time these wear out, each time they are used they rotate a little to spread the wear see eBay for replacements;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw= ... R&_sacat=0
and Youtube repair video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pnySma88gY
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:22 pm

Thanks peeps, I heard zero when I turned the ignition. Until I cycled through the gear shifter (although that might have made zer difference to whether it started after a little wait.)

I will be honest I would not be able to take a start motor off, I just remember that long ago my brothers used to have a bit of wood and hit the end onto the starter motor, an old beige Marina back in the 80's :lol: and it did the trick.. it might be sensible to carry those bits around
in a last emergency attempt.

Batt was at 12.85V on a multimeter and drpaer intellicharge (modern charge pulse jobby) said full which kind of confirms it was ok
after 25min engine run topped it up it seems.

I think realistically I would take a punt and buy a new starter and get it fitted local and hope for the best. Unless it could be
something glow plug related. I will be looking very carefully at what happens next time I start her (the glow plug amber light switch off, the light sequence, reaction iof light and noises)
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:27 pm

updated
Last edited by BongoBongo123 on Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:28 pm

Previous poor starts or hesitatnt starts weeks and months before every now and then..twice in total I heard what sounded
like the starter lurching but not catching (if that makes any sense at all) so like one loudish noise then silence, then when I turn ignition again within 1-2 second after it turned over and started fine.

This time trying to leave car park I heard zilch... for 3 ignitions turns with some 30 second gaps between. I left it 4 mins whilst chekcing batt volts and cycled through gears..

The switch in the steering rack was working ok when you press the shifter button, I heard the relay/switch working.
Previous poor starts or hesitatnt starts weeks and months before every now and then..twice in total I heard what sounded
like the starter lurching but not catching (if that makes any sense at all) so like one loudish noise then silence, then when I turn ignition again within 1-2 second after it turned over and started fine.

This time trying to leave car park I heard zilch... for 3 ignitions turns with some 30 second gaps between. I left it 4 mins whilst chekcing batt volts and cycled through gears..

The switch in the steering rack was working ok when you press the shifter button, I heard the relay/switch working.

Sorry forum is playig up a lot for me I have to copy and paste my post again after logging in again, otherwise the typing all gets lost.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:37 pm

Thanks for the link G8DHE and videos, might be a bit above my know how, not sure I will take a close look. Fingers crossed for tomorrow !
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:54 pm

New OEM starter is about £100.00, it does seem to point in the general direction and I have had my inklings starter might be starting
to play up over the last year with a few hesitant starts. (one click/noise and then nothing until I try again and in engages)

Although this tiem, zero was heard. (Battery seem good as far as I know but is due to be changed routinely this winter anyway as well / Exide it has been on 7 years and that is ripe time for a change I find on starter batts.)

Firstly I need to get to airport ok (and not turn engine off when dropping off) then I can have a think, appreciated.

Other than these contacts are the starter good, I am guessing the one on there is almost 27 years old, would it make sense to
replace the whole thing for peace of mind given they are not costing too much ?

I woudl not want to replace those parts and then find it fail on some other starter part later on. I appreciate that is rather diffcult
to know for sure but it seems it might be a plan to change the starter fully, if it is just a few bolts and 2 wires. (saves me the fiddly bit).
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:20 pm

I went out and started the van 30mins ago, I awiated the amber light to go off for glow plugs. Turn key all the way and "click" thne nothing.. turned it again and it started. Ran it 15mins just to put juice back into battery. So it would appear it is the solenoids, maybe. So ordered the kit to repair.

Looking at the video as long as the bolts are not seized too hard I will have a go, it was not super clear on the video how to get the old
solenoid contacts out a bit blurry but I guess it will be self explanatory when I see them with my own eyes.

I am going to have to use the fingers crossed technique tomorrow morning it seems !
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:26 pm

Another reason is that I saw a poor review for the starter motor I was planning to buy on ebay at 94.99 no names mentioned, German sounding but apparently assembled in Birmingham. On this basis keeping the original Mazda part seems like a sensible plan. (but you know plans...?? !!!)

I guess something pushes these pin like things (I imagine the piston that is mentioned) down into somehwere to make the circuit, given they have springs on.

I will try and have a bit of confidence in myself and do this job. It might not be till I take the return airport run though. So I am relying on luck that it starts which it has done.. maybe those worn pin solenoids have contracted a bit in the cold temps that recently appeared and the problem has reared its ugly head.

So I need a bit of luck and time to do the job. Parts on order, thanks G8 andfor the advice all. I will let you know how I get on.

I will ensure that I disconnect the battery before going near it.. does the starter motor pump out a fairly high AC voltage ?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:55 pm

The starter motor doesn't turn out any voltage it just spins, but the cable from the battery is NOT fused as the starter motor requires a very high starting current, so yes disconnect the battery -ve terminal before starting work on the system.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:58 pm

Actually I also found this with many more parts in...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293191698249 ... xy8HlSdC7l

Cheaper but more parts, did I get the right one ? I ordered the one in the link supplied but
found this by chance looking at the other products that place on ebay had.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:58 pm

Thanks for the info G8
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:04 pm

Is the plunger thing the "piston", and it is just the copper small bits that are replaced ? (are they the actual contacts)

The images are rather confusing, the cheap kit shows more parts but says "contacts only".. no plunger
so I expect that is why it is cheaper.

So there are not three long things, just one and the copper bits that are attached on the 3 bolts on the side
of the casing.

I bet it will be more clear when I get the 3 faceplate bolts off. Sorry trying to prepare my mind for what to expect
a little. I think I understand their images showing 3 plungers confused me a bit.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:15 pm

I am getting my head around it now after watching the video again and understanding there is just 1 not 3 plungers (as per the ebay pic)... 1 plunger/piston and 3 copper things to replace. I will photo it all before I disassemble for sure.

And take notes. I am not very confident with cars I can do things when I have a go and go slow and keep track of how things come apart it does not look too tricky. I will go slow with it.

Return to “Techie Stuff”