No side lights and more

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Eratosthenes
Bongolier

No side lights and more

Post by Eratosthenes » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:44 pm

My side lights and dash light stopped working whilst on a trip away today.
I have looked at previous posts and feel I have an idea where to start to sort things out.
However, initially I looked at the cabin fuse box and thought that the fuse for the brake lights looked like it may have blown although from what I have read cannot see a connection to the side light problem. I checked this fuse and it was ok but when I replaced it an led for the immobiliser came on and the brake lights worked, took the fuse out - no brake lights and the led out. Put in a new fuse brake lights working and led on. So I am thinking the after market immobiliser may have been spliced in to the brake light circuit. (I am assuming the led is for the immobiliser but have no documentation about it).
As the immobilise fob has seen better days, I have never used it for 6 years or so. Not really sure how the immobiliser works and what the red led indicates. The van starts ok and drives ok so I am really confused. I realise something is not right but I am reluctant to start playing with the immobiliser in case that fails and leaves me completely stranded in a remote part of mid Wales. I assume the led being permanently on will have an insignificant battery drain.
The purpose of the trip is to take our dog for treatment to a local vets first thing tomorrow just hoping it all works out. Any comments or suggestions appreciated
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: No side lights and more

Post by g8dhe » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:24 pm

The Side lights and dashboard lights come from the same circuit and the fuse is;

As to immobiliser problems its best to get it removed otherwise as you say you may end up being stranded.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:03 pm

Geoff, thank you for the reply.

I have checked relevant fuses and all seem ok.
Relays have been swapped around and in all different locations.
Column indicator has had WD40 and plenty of rotations and the situation is still the same - no side lights.

When I posted yesterday, I had been working with torch light and said I thought maybe the brake light fuse had blown but proved to be ok.
I can see now the brake light fuse is a piggy back type with a wire actually connected to the plastic area of the fuse. This wire has actually
come away from the fuse and the area where it had been connected in torch light made me think it had blown.
The immobiliser is a Japanese after market device and I am wondering if it is feasible that the wire that has come detached is part of the immobiliser system that actually turns off the side lights so I am tempted to try and place the wire in the fuse socket along with the fuse. The only thing I am unsure of if I do this (as a get me home fix only) should I place the wire in the lower or upper socket of the fuse holder. Would appreciate your comments.
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:01 pm

A few weeks further on and I thought I had solved the problem as the under bonnet light fuse was replaced with one that looked ok and had been checked with a meter, everything seemed to be going fine. I had previously fitted a coolant alarm, clock and Haydn's engine saver all of which I have temporary disconnected in case the problem was due to my diy.

However today I noticed that the illuminated switch for the rear fog light started to flicker when it wasn't even on on. Soon after that the dash light went out and the rear fog light switch had stopped flickering and went out. When I pulled over I went straight to the under bonnet fuse box and found the fuse had blown. I replaced this and everything seemed fine - for about 10 seconds only. The fuse had blown again. The rear fog light was fitted by the importer. I removed the cable connections to the switch thinking this may be the culprit. This had no affect as when I replaced the fuse it lasted for a few seconds before blowing. I did notice that (before the fuse failed) that a bulb had failed in the rear nearside side light. I haven't had a chance to replace this bulb yet. Is there any other areas that anyone can suggest I start looking.

The auto electricians that I contacted about removing the immobiliser wanted the Bongo for 2 or 3 days charge £95 an hour and at that rate I have to ask myself do I just take a chance that it keeps going or is it beyond economic repair or is the problem outlined above part of the problem.
Over the last couple of years the crankshaft oil seal has been replaced, along with cambelt, water pump, radiator, alternator. and the steel coolant pipes plus wheel arches so I would like to keep the Bongo going.

Once again any suggestions appreciated.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:08 pm

The Fog light switch will be connected to the sidelights circuit, I would start by replacing the blown bulb and then checking further you may find that the fault is caused by that bulb shorting out and blowing the fuse.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:37 pm

g8dhe wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:08 pm The Fog light switch will be connected to the sidelights circuit, I would start by replacing the blown bulb and then checking further you may find that the fault is caused by that bulb shorting out and blowing the fuse.
Thanks Geoff, I will get some decent bulbs and make a start there.
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:55 pm

The rear bulb had blown, it looked as if things had fused together inside. The rear fog light was like an aquarium. I think the illuminated switch could have been flickering due to the water sloshing around inside the lamp. I've cut a length off the feed to the light and replaced it making the join inside the van as the copper wires had gone quite discoloured. So far so good, just waiting or a replacement fog.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:02 pm

Ah good to hear result, yes the reflectors on the lights are known for letting in water, often a small hole is drilled at the bottom to drain some leave it open others seal after draining, not sure which option is better but I think I would leave it open provided the hole is as small as possible , 1-2mm max.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:40 pm

I did think about a small drain hole, and probably a little silicon grease where the lens joins the back part of the light as well.

Return to “Techie Stuff”