Radio suggestions for a new bongo owner

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Jankdeveloper
Apprentice Bongonaut

Radio suggestions for a new bongo owner

Post by Jankdeveloper » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:22 pm

Hi,

I have just recently bought a bongo, (2.5 diesel) the previous owners basically didn't move the van more then 60 miles in 4 years so there's some maintenance do be done ! (Even hidden things that was not advertised unfortunately aka a flashing hold light that appeared on the way home)

Its in the garage at the moment for various fixes, but I'm the mean time I was wondering if people had suggestions on new radio systems that are easy or not too bad to install ? I don't know what the previous owners were doing with the bongo but some of the electrics need sorting out for the leisure stuff. So while I'm there might as well upgrade !

Also thanks for all the information on the forum it's been amazing learning about this vehicle. Hope to get it to it's true potential soon
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Radio suggestions for a new bongo owner

Post by g8dhe » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:19 pm

Quite a few options, from single DIN radios and a pocket to double DIN system with navigation etc. Beware of cheap eBay double DIN units they normally end in tears as they have dubious power control options as they are based on old Android systems which don't turn off the power itself merely the display lighting hence LB get flattened! Best to go for a known make rather than the cheapest available.
Personally I use a single DIN Sony radio which has a remote control which I can use from the conversion and R&R bed in the rear, a pocket holds my phone on charge and an additional bracket holds a TomTom GPS system for navigation see here http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/gps_mount/
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
wwaveydave
Bongonaut

Post by wwaveydave » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:18 pm

Personally I've been looking at a 7" wireless Android Auto stereo. I've got the best GPS/traffic software, unlimited music etc on my phone, so why not just use that to drive a screen?
Jankdeveloper
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Jankdeveloper » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:25 pm

Thanks for the great suggestions.

Unfortunately I've just heard back from ADS in Bristol and I've been scammed more then I thought. Still invested in getting the Bongo in a good place but my wallet is going to hurt.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:30 pm

Ah yes, its a common problem these days any vehicle that has been in the country awhile is going to need ongoing maintenance and little used vehicles have the problem that lots of areas don't get maintained that well :-(
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Jankdeveloper
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Jankdeveloper » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:57 pm

Unfortunately that's true and I was ready and willing to take on these. Just disappointed that the MOT a few months ago showed no real issues and turns out there some potentially dangerous problems. But with the help of ADS and my wallet I'm hoping it won't be a total waste and can do the trips I've always dreamed of.

Return to “Techie Stuff”