AFT skylight leak - failed repair

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

ShaunM
Apprentice Bongonaut

AFT skylight leak - failed repair

Post by ShaunM » Wed May 01, 2024 9:30 am

Have been struggling with leaking AFT skylight for last 2 years. Tried to silicone all around as a temporary solution. Held for 10 months but then leaked again. So, after some extensive research and several garages saying no to the job, I tacked this myself. First I removed all the silicon I used previously to stop the leak, then removed the glass, cleaned it all, and glued it back on using CT1 unique sealant and construction adhesive (black). also used Silkaflex 522 (white) on the outer edge in order to make it more water tight. In the end put 20kg bag of top of the glass and let it settle/dry for 12h. Result: the glass did not fly off when on M4 but the bad news is that the skylight is still leaking. Any tips? I am a bit disappointed as I was sure we did a good job and also cos I cannot use the van. Here is the link to the pics of what I did. Thank you! https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... drive_link
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: AFT skylight leak - failed repair

Post by g8dhe » Wed May 01, 2024 10:07 am

Welcome aboard!
Mumm, are you sure its leaking and not simply condensation ?
Might be worth checking after before rain is due, and then after to see if its rain water, or maybe in the morning after its cooled down overnight and condensation has settled on the glass and then when you drive it runs to the rear?

Unable to see the pictures despite being signed in they seem to be protected? You are able to upload pictures straight to the forum itself you realise, see attachments below when editing/creating.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
ShaunM
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by ShaunM » Wed May 01, 2024 10:48 am

Thank you! I wish it was condensation. Defo leak and quite some water. Have been using low food containers for a while now when stationary to collect/dispose of the water. After the repairs, I was so confident we did a good job that I did not use the containers and after the rain, I went to check on the van, and there was water everywhere: on AFT, floor, seats, roof, sides ...
I have changed the link's setting: should be accessible now. Please let me know if not and will resize the pics and attach.
Attachments
IMG_9515.JPG
IMG_9519.JPG
IMG_9509.JPG
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed May 01, 2024 11:08 am

How strange, are you able to work out where it's leaking? Maybe some food colouring dye and a watering can?
Could you have a crack in the plastic surround perhaps?
There are instructions in the Service Manual on removing but it sounds like you have already done that.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
ShaunM
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by ShaunM » Thu May 02, 2024 11:54 am

Thank you! Yes, I did follow the instructions on removal/repair from the manual. Yesterday as the storm was approaching, I decided that I need a glass fitter's help. He removed all and said my repairs failed as the black silicon did not bond to the glass (see pic). Asked me if I used alcohol based cleaner and I did, so not sure what went wrong. Anyway, he took it all off, re-did it and it just looks amazing, not like what I did (he filled the ridge with the black silicon too). And the best bit, no leak after the last night storm. I might be finally able to go camping without having to have a bucket at hand. :D
Attachments
IMG_9547.JPG
IMG_9546.JPG
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu May 02, 2024 12:58 pm

Ah good to hear, yes they do make quite a bit of cleaning and getting a good adhesion to the glass in the manual. Not had this problem myself yet, but I'm sure with time it will come!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”