CQ, CQ - Pippin ( Split charge again ) !!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Yamaha
Bongolier

Post by Yamaha » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:46 pm

wrster wrote:Mine was from Maplin, you can buy socket holder too for a neat install - details on this page:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... ys&doy=2m4

Thanks very much for that. all ordered, and should be in the post tomorrow!!

Mike
wrster

Post by wrster » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:29 pm

No worries, please keep us updated on your install.

I'm off to get a couple of leisure batteries and an inverter on Saturday for in the back - decided to just have a microwave instead of a gas hob. I just need to wire up some 240v hook up action now as well - keeps me out of trouble!

Cheers, Will
Yamaha
Bongolier

Post by Yamaha » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:20 am

Will do, Will.

We have only had one weekend away so far in the Bongo, and we took a microwave with us to use in the awning on a hook-up. Great success!!

As it was the end of October the microwave was instead of the coolbox, due to the weather - but I think fitting both in would be a challenge!!

I wired up for mains from under the bonnet, as someone on here recommended, terminating in a metel-clad RCD socket fixed to the bulkhead above the passengers feet, just below a vent - there was a bolt already there which was ideal. Now have just to wire inside the van to a couple of sockets to make it a permanent installation.

Just wish we'd had the Bongo in the Spring, rather than the Autumn - that would have given me better weather to get all these jobs done!!

Mike
phedders
Bongolier

Post by phedders » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:51 pm

Word of warning: doubling up relays is potentially very hazardous, especially if they are doing tricks like rewiring batteries from || to --.

If one of the relays sticks/freezes or the coil gives out, you could be in a real mess...
wrster

Post by wrster » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:35 pm

There is only one relay (one coil) which is why its failsafe. The poles are doubled up, to increase the amp capacity to 24amp which I've found fine in use so far, as I also run 2 115a/h leisures from sterling battery to battery charger in the back for my microwave/fridge etc.

But if anyone knows of a 2PDT of a larger current capacity then please let me know.

Return to “Techie Stuff”