overheating

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

overheating

Post by Peg leg Pete » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:44 pm

Due tio the recent posts on overheating, I would just like to repeat what Bumbly has posted on the coolant. It needs to be replaced on a 2 year cycle, the system needs bleeding, all hoses checked for leaks(with engine running) thermostat checked for operating correctly, and please check radiator and expansion bottle caps are in good condition.
Image Pete
Keswick

Post by Keswick » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:58 pm

Presumably for those of us non mechanical types, due to the risk involved if we get it wrong, we would be best asking for this to be done during a service.
Dabs
Supreme Being

Post by Dabs » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:58 pm

Good advice Peter,
Ensure that You check the hoses when the engine is hot as this is when the pinprick holes in them start to open up!They are very hard to spot and trace it took Me 2 weeks to trace my most recent one,I finally discovered it when the engine was hot.When it was cold it didnt leak!

Dabs
Its Oh so quiet!!..Ex Terra Lucem!!..A Leopard can't change his spots!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:16 pm

I would find a factsheet on backflushing the coolant system very useful. Anyone else have similar concerns? Did you say you used Fairy Liquid Peter? How did you do that - put it in prior to draining and run the engine for a bit? And does the dishwasher tablet trick have any merit/risk? Anyone out there tried it?
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:19 pm

I think I prefer to stick to something like Radflush.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:43 pm

I'd forgotten there are proper products. Plus they come with instructions. Good thinking franco. I should have remembered Radflush from my youthful tinkerings with cars. Memory all shot :cry:
richdee

Post by richdee » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:43 am

Hiya peter,
On the subject of expansion bottle caps.. Need a new one for our Bongo 'Mecca' any ideas where to get one from? Have checked a few places but cant seem to locate one.
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:51 am

Safest way I found was to take it back to where I bought it and ask them nicely to do it, turned out to be cheaper too, bloody good mechanic they have too, found a couple of little things wrong and just adjusted and tweaked things, no charge, just for the anti freeze coolant. Logically speaking they have probably done all the belts and buckles etc in the first place so should know what they are doing.Happy motoring.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:25 pm

richdee wrote:Hiya peter,
On the subject of expansion bottle caps.. Need a new one for our Bongo 'Mecca' any ideas where to get one from? Have checked a few places but cant seem to locate one.
Its a common size for Jap cars - Hondas have the same type - just make sure the pressure is right - 0.9 bar if I remember........
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

Post by Peg leg Pete » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:32 pm

Franco I used radflush first, but if I remember correctly you had to run the bongo for a few miles with the radflush in the system, this was not possible to do :oops: At that time I could not get more than a mile or 2 before the temp guage began to rise above normal. I Drained the radflush out, and then popped a small amount of fairy liquid into the radiator and filled with hot water, ran engine for a couple of minutes and then gave a thorough flush, I do not advice anybody to try this, I was just desperate to remove all the crud from the system. I spent a lot of time flushing, I am convinced it was the crud in the system causing the problem, once I was sure I had removed all the muck, I replaced the thermostat, refilled the coolant, and bled the system, I filled through the expansion bottle then backfilled some through the bleed pipe, with the bongo pointing uphill, with the expansion bottle cap off. I squeezed all the hoses to shift any trapped air, I then put cap on expansion bottle, and fired up the engine, I had a funnel on the bleed pipe and see sawed in up and down to encourage trapped air to be released. I managed to get the bongo to give out a lovely hot gassy burp, that coated the cab ceiling with hot coolant. I then sealed the bleed pipe, I had the heaters on hot all the time I did this, I did not rev the engine either, I live in a built up area :roll: I did this without a manual, and I have had almost a year of running at correct temp, I hope this may be of help, but would be interested to read how the manual advices the job to be done :wink:
Image Pete
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:27 pm

Hi Peter
I haven't used Radflush for years either, but I think you are right about the long run.
It seems you successfully bled the system using the old "common-sense" approach - I don't think modern mechanics have ever heard of actually squeezing hoses etc., but it's what I always used to do. Be interesting to actually try it on my Bongo, although hopefully not yet.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

Post by Peg leg Pete » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:31 pm

Thanks :wink: I just wonder how many bongos are sold with old coolant in the system :cry:
Image Pete
aitch
Supreme Being

Post by aitch » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:50 pm

mine is on a "P" plate got it in August last year done approx 7000km and system overheated at new year RAC mechanic said radiator was leaking had it replaced, still using 2 litres of water every 15 km (approx) ended up with a new top hose had a pinprick hole replace by dealer along with fresh coolant all seems fine now but watching temp gauge and coolant level on a daily basis (just in case) new head will be expensive!!!!!!!
Be nice to everyone they might be nice back.

Come to the dark side we have chocolate dark chocolate
Bumbly1

Post by Bumbly1 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:09 pm

aitch wrote:mine is on a "P" plate got it in August last year done approx 7000km and system overheated at new year RAC mechanic said radiator was leaking had it replaced, still using 2 litres of water every 15 km (approx) ended up with a new top hose had a pinprick hole replace by dealer along with fresh coolant all seems fine now but watching temp gauge and coolant level on a daily basis (just in case) new head will be expensive!!!!!!!
Sorry to be the prophet of doom but without flushing the system thoroughly you could still have problems and blow the head gasket or worse. I cant stress this enough, mine happened with NO prior warning. Aitch, buy yourself peace of mind by flushing the system or get someone to do it for you, you know it makes sense............ :)
Bumbly1

Post by Bumbly1 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:19 pm

I dont believe it is air in the system that causes the problem, I reckon it is the increased pressure caused by "obstructions".The leaks I hear about can be caused by older hoses or corrosion in pipes and increased pressure will accelerate this process; the systems can be ten years old so it is perhaps not surprising that this can happen. Prevention is the best policy imho so my advice is first drain and flush the system, second I would replace the hoses, and thirdly refill properly - total cost must be less than £100 and the system should last for a good few years without a problem. Happy motoring

Return to “Techie Stuff”