manual blinds

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

NicknLiz

manual blinds

Post by NicknLiz » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:05 pm

Hi, just like the other poor buggers, I've tried searching and ploughing through the info on the site, but I'm not having any joy. ](*,)

The manual (<gasp> yes manual, not like the rest of you snazzy bunch... :wink: ) blinds behind the drivers seat keep slipping off the catch and sliding up, usually when one of us is getting changed, or when we've just about fallen to sleep, scaring the living hell out of us!

It there some magical way of replacing a little spring o stop this nasty surprise?

Ta Nick
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:08 pm

When are you next out in the Bongo ? where ?? what time do you get changed ??
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
maglett

Post by maglett » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:09 pm

I have the same problem with a couple of mine.

Some tried and tested solutions:

1. take off a sock and wedge it in the runner to stop the blind flying up.
2. don't pull blind down... tho you might not be very relaxed when trying to get to sleep.
3. get / make some insulated screen thingys with the suckers on, they're warmer, darker, and shiny!

I asked bellhill about this a while back and they couldn't suggest anything.

I just shove a sock in - not ideal.
NicknLiz

Post by NicknLiz » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:37 pm

Thanks for your invaluable help... :roll:

If there's another way, I'll let you know...
Bumbly1

Post by Bumbly1 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:13 pm

It may be worth checking to see if the blinds are "complete" the bottom rail has a slider thing at each end, they work without them but they can pop up whilst you are changing if they do not have the sliders ;-) There is also a right way round for the sliders, they work better one way but cant remeber which it was and dont have my Bongo any longer to check.
NicknLiz

Post by NicknLiz » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:19 pm

It does have an end on either end... Hmmm.... Also has the screws holding it in place... It's exactly the same as the rest, but I thought that maybe the spring was on its way out or something...
Bumbly1

Post by Bumbly1 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:22 pm

Try swapping the ends round the other way, they are directional.
NicknLiz

Post by NicknLiz » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 pm

Sorted it... Afte much seaching (and finding that a single spring costing 48p was rounded up to a min of £18, plus post, plus VAT...) found a 8mm outside diameter, 45mm long compression spring in a mates set of springs (works in a car supplies shop), cut it down by 15mm and then put it on the front end, which has a deeper recess. It now works great and you can't even see that it's there!

Hope that helps the next poor cousin!

Return to “Techie Stuff”