Starting problem

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:27 pm

Hi, Have you checked the usual things? Like battery terminals are tight? It may also be an intermittent immobiliser problem...
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
Gemtps

Post by Gemtps » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:34 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:Also Gemtps - arent you still under guarantee from the dealer?
Yeah luckily. He's taking his sweet time getting someone to look at it though but I don't think he's messing me about - I think he just thinks it's not a big deal.

Stupid question but ... do I have an immobiliser (sp?) - how would I know if I had one of those (I've only just found out that I can move my wing mirrors in :roll: )
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:53 pm

Do you have a "blipper" for the central locking? or do you Put the key in the lock?... a remote central locking system is often indicative of an immobiliser too... Perhaps you could suggest to your dealer that it would probably have been fixed by now if it was HIS vehicle :? Are you in the AA or RAC? They may be able to suggest something for the dealer to sort out... Hope it gets sorted before it completely conks out :roll:
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
Gemtps

Post by Gemtps » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:39 pm

I'm a key in the lock opener. Wish I did have a 'blipper'. Always thought they are kinda cool :geek:

I think I'll phone again tomorrow and chase him up again ... :roll:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:38 am

WELL HELLO MR DEALER - IT MAY NOT BE A BIG DEAL TO YOU BUT IT IS A BIG DEAL TO ME.

Be polite but firm and dont leave it too long before you put something (polite but firm) in writing. Stuff done by mouth or over the phone counts for very little and can be denied. A letter puts an onus on him to reply or else be deemed to have accepted your claim.

Good luck

Mike
Gemtps

Post by Gemtps » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:31 am

Thanks Mike.
That's good advice.
Gemtps

Post by Gemtps » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:52 pm

Well, it turns out the starting problem is a (hang on, I wrote it down somewhere) ..... burnt out contact.
So gotta get it repaired now. Luckily this will be a warantee job.

They couldn't find what was wrong with the window and blind though as it wasn't happening to them :?
What are the chances of it happening as soon as I drive away ?
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:45 pm

Sod's Law!! :lol: :lol:
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Gemtps

Post by Gemtps » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:28 pm

Well I finally got my new starting motor and it starts first time, every time, like a dream !!!!
I am a happy Bongoer once more (apart from the sliding door is still stuck :evil: one step at a time :roll: )
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:22 pm

Good news Gemtps - you'll get there, right in time for summer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mk_don

Re: Woohoo

Post by mk_don » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:43 pm

Bon go north wrote:Got my batteries checked at the local halfords.
They were supposed to be putting out 560 Amps. 1 was 230 and 1 313.

Batteries changed problem solved

cheers
What is the Halfords battery number? would be helpful to all of us as is a "now known good battery to use"
Bob
Bon go north

Halfords number

Post by Bon go north » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:15 am

The battery number is HB072. It puts out 590 amps cold crank, whereas the normal bongo battery would put out 560. It's no problem though as the extra amps help it fire up on a cold day. The batteries are obviously not cheap but they do come with a 3 year warranty.
I had to put a spacer under the battery clip though as the battery is a different shape to the old one. No problems though, the battery is in place and I have had no problems so far.

Happy Motoring :)

Return to “Techie Stuff”