Its Happened again

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Ginge
Bongolier

Its Happened again

Post by Ginge » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:41 pm

A few weeks back I put in a thread about non starting and drain on the battery. WELL I thought I had diagnosed a sticky relay powering the radiator fans, changed the relay and TODAY the problem has reared its head again.
On turning the key , it seems as if I have a flat battery, BUT ON RELEASING KEY FROM START POSITION radiator fans kick in for about 3 seconds, this is what has got me puzzled, It starts ok with a jump start from another car and then no starting problems for several days. PLEASE PLEASE does anyone have any ideas. :?: :?: :?:
Don't worry, be happy
crazy uncle gray g
Supreme Being

Post by crazy uncle gray g » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:02 pm

:? Ginge, I`m no techno wizard, but about a year back someone posted about the fact she never locked her Bongo and that the self closing mechanism somehow over a few days would drain the battery, now I`m not suggesting you don`t lock your Bongo but if the self closing scooby is faulty perhaps that's messing you about :wink: I`m exhausted now I think I`ll get back to me ScRuMpY :P
cheers! party on dudes.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:45 pm

Hi Ginge
Are you sure it's actually the radiator fans making the noise? - have you actually seen them turning?
Logically the fans shouldn't turn until the engine gets hot enough so I was wondering if it's the starter motor making the noise. If it hasn't actually engaged with the flywheel, it just spins freely until it actually stops turning. The extra power from the jump start may well give it the boost it needs to engage.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:51 pm

That sounds plausable franco but it wouldn't spin the motor until it has engaged with the flywheel - it's a pre-engaged starter...........
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:54 pm

Damn, that's a pity - I've never actually had reason to look.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Ginge
Bongolier

Post by Ginge » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:03 pm

definitely radiadtor fans run for a few seconds but only when releasing the key from start. Laid under the van while wife turned the key and could see the fans turning. VERY STRANGE!!!. :!: :!:
Don't worry, be happy
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:07 pm

Very strange indeed!! I really don't know what to suggest cos' I really can't see why the fans should turn. Bad earths seem the commonest cause of most electrical mysteries, but which one???? :? :? :? :?
John
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:13 am

Very similar to the problem I have just had on my diesel R reg Astra estate, in the end I thought bugger it and changed the battery for a brand new one to see what it would do, hey presto not a jot of trouble since. Got to be worth a try at least as even a weak cell in the battery will have an effect on the huge power needed to start the bongo brick. Happy motoring.

Return to “Techie Stuff”