oil

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

littlewoods

oil

Post by littlewoods » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:41 pm

just about to do an oil change i was going to put in castrol GTD magnetec is this a good choice or is there a more suitable oil for the bongo...also can anyone tell me how much the engine takes. its a 97 101,000 km /60, 000 miles on the clock .....thanks

must buy a manual one day!!!
RobnKathryn

Post by RobnKathryn » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:57 pm

I use Magnatec although it's not the Mazda recommended grade. There's a very good factsheet in the members area on lubricants.

You'llneed about 6.7 litres if doing a oil + filter change.

Rob
ebygum32

Post by ebygum32 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:05 pm

suposed to use 5/30 but its too expensive and can be a bit of a pain to get hold of, although i seem to remeber about 1-2 years back we had this chat and everyman and there dog had there two peneth on where they could get it from but at the end of the day its up to you, and if your bongos got any leaks or anything 10/40s abit thicker, i use castrole gtd 10/40 but seen some cheap oil in wilkos 10/40 turbo diesel so gonna give that a try as i change it every 6000 kilometers
Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

Post by Peg leg Pete » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:10 pm

sounds a sensible way to go, change ours every 3000 miles, the old girl deserves to be treated, done by mechanic, so not sure what grade-just trust his knowledge :wink:
Image Pete
brorabongo
Supreme Being

Post by brorabongo » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:37 am

I was thinking of using Magnatec, as I have used it for my previous petrol cars for the last ten-ish years and everytime I got a new car I would notice the difference once done.

It's around £25 for 4.5lt of diesel Magnatec, so two required for the first oil change, then only one needed for the second oil change :-k . If It will make a difference to economy and engine noise it will be worth using. Hope to be doing the oil and filters myself 8-[

I will be doing around 15000 miles a year so that should be FIVE changes a year :shock: But I think she's worth it :)
ボンゴの激怒 pictures
Run your fingers over my Bongo, and I'll run my Bongo over your fingers!! :twisted:
littlewoods

Post by littlewoods » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:45 am

brorabongo wrote:I was thinking of using Magnatec, as I have used it for my previous petrol cars for the last ten-ish years and everytime I got a new car I would notice the difference once done.

It's around £25 for 4.5lt of diesel Magnatec, so two required for the first oil change, then only one needed for the second oil change :-k . If It will make a difference to economy and engine noise it will be worth using. Hope to be doing the oil and filters myself 8-[

I will be doing around 15000 miles a year so that should be FIVE changes a year :shock: But I think she's worth it :)
you can get 2x 4.5ltr trade pack of GTD magnatec from costco for £31.03 inc vat bargin... i had a delica before the bongo and seviced 3 times over the 14months i had it and used the magnatec ,the engine purred and performance was exellent 10/10
Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:58 am

Go to your local motor factor (NOT high street shop) and ask them if they can get you a 25litre drum of whatever you choose to run on. It will be much cheaper.
I am the author of the lubricants fact sheet and spent 21 years with Shell Automotive market.
My Bongo has covered 27k miles and I use Tesco 15w/40. It is the latest API spec and probably packed for Tesco by Shell or Esso. (it always used to be Shell though I am not aware of the current supplier.)
It has not altered the consumption one iota. I do however live on the South coast. If you live or go any where wher the temperature is likely to be around -5c. go for 10w/30 and ensure good battery, starter and glow-plugs.
The most important thing is that the oil meets the API specification at least for the year of vehicle manufacture, but preferably as late a spec as you can afford.
Don't waste your money on a synthetic or semi-synthetic at the mileage you have done. (60k) as the wear has already taken place. The main reason to use Synthetic is to STOP the wear, but putting it in anengine that has covered more than 25k miles is a waste of £££.
Presumably covering that sort of mileage a year you will be doing long fast runs, which is the best use a diesel engine can be put to. They do not like stop/start journeys (which I admit most of mine are :? ) Have a look at my fact sheet in the members area..
Good luck

Return to “Techie Stuff”