Alternator belt

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Alternator belt

Post by widdowson2008 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:21 pm

4 weeks ago, spenner and I changed his alternator belt.
Checked tension after 2 weeks running and all seemed OK.
He rang me today with a query - alternator belt had flipped inside out. (see pic)
Still running but split almost through. Wouldn't have lasted more than a few miles.
I've never seen a 'V' belt do this before. Has it happened to anyone else?
Would appreciate any ideas? Was it bad fitting? or a poor quality belt?
Note: he bought a set of 3 belts for £15. Sounds a bit on the cheap (nasty) side to me.

Done it again :shock: :oops: :evil: Meant this to go in the techie section.
Last edited by widdowson2008 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Alternator belt

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:35 pm

Never seen that before. The ones I fitted previously have been of the more traditional solid type rather than the segmented variety. Think I paid about £15 for the pair of belts from AutoLink.
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:42 pm

So it's not just me. :wink: Thought it was a bit weird.
I've seen the 'notched' type of belt before. It's more flexible than the solid type but I suppose weaker.
Still wondering what could have caused it to flip. :?
Steve
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:54 pm

at a guess one was bigger than the other
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:57 pm

wonkanoby wrote:at a guess one was bigger than the other
Passed through my mind too, but I thought they were sold in matched pairs. Probably not the case on the cheaper belts.
Steve
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:23 pm

Are all the pulleys on straight and parallel?
I've not had a Bongo one to bits so not certain how they fit but I have seen it happen before when a pulley had a wobble on and it then just throws the belt off.
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:32 pm

briwy wrote:Are all the pulleys on straight and parallel?
I've not had a Bongo one to bits so not certain how they fit but I have seen it happen before when a pulley had a wobble on and it then just throws the belt off.
Pulleys appear to be running true (no apparent wobble), and the belt didn't get thrown off - just inverted. :?
Steve
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:18 am

when fitting if you dont know the exact measurement of deflection you can use the general rule of approx a 90 deg twist in the longest side, this avoids this happening,they should also be checked soon after fitting/bedding in.
missmatched belts would be my guess steve, or a chunk out of one of the pulleys.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:08 am

Hi
I've had those notched belts on other cars when proper ones not available...complete rubbish, and not up to the job , mostly.
With the belt jumping, maybe one belt tight (outer), and other too loose, and unable to jump over the outer belt...namely mismatched belts, as stated by Ady....Club Shop sells proper jobbies!....keep a spare
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:59 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi
I've had those notched belts on other cars when proper ones not available...complete rubbish, and not up to the job , mostly.
With the belt jumping, maybe one belt tight (outer), and other too loose, and unable to jump over the outer belt...namely mismatched belts, as stated by Ady....Club Shop sells proper jobbies!....keep a spare
Cheers
Helen
Glad you and Ady agree :D cos these were my thoughts exactly - certainly about the notched belt being weaker.
Steve
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:20 am

Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:28 pm

the knotched block type belts are usually ok, so i dont think thats a factor really, but given a choice solid would be for me.
looking at the picture again, is there evidence of rubbing on the rear edge of the front belt.

maybe just crap made belts, pull them off and give them your full quality control treatment steve.
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:42 pm

rita wrote:Is this the proper belt??

http://cn.oemol.com/oem/en_oem_detail/6 ... 381/*.html
Don't know, but the pic (on your link) suggests a 'proper' OEM belt, so the answer is probably YES. (But I've no idea TBH)
Steve
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:55 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:the knotched block type belts are usually ok, so i dont think thats a factor really, but given a choice solid would be for me.
looking at the picture again, is there evidence of rubbing on the rear edge of the front belt.

maybe just crap made belts, pull them off and give them your full quality control treatment steve.
Yes Ady - there ARE rubbing marks on the rear edge of front belt.
Pulleys don't appear to be damaged or loose.

...and can't check em out cos Jeff is (has) returned them for a refund.
Spenner bought the belts from a respected dealer so perhaps the dealer was supplied with a faulty batch. Fortunately, no damage has been done, and spenner is currently in the process of getting some new belts.
Steve
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:46 pm

Hi
Steve
They are made by a firm with the letters OEM in part of their logo, and as you notice, it's a Chinese firm, and producing copies , so not OEM at all.
Having owned a type 2 many years ago, you get to find out how many firms are supplying goods sold as OEM...and the other scam is NOS parts which are 'substitutes"...
China has always produced copies, but nowadays a lot of Chinese stuff is as good as it gets, as they are more than just a developing nation!!!....
The worst fakes ever, were "Girling " brake shoes produced and sold quite innocently by parts suppliers, as only the lip on the letter "G" was absent, and they were labelled "Cirling", but stopping was another matter...instead of brake linings being riveted to the shoes, it was WEBBING which was glued and riveted to the shoes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Several motoring magazines carried the warnings....
Nowadays, it's Korea and Bulgaria that produce the worst rubbish, and they produce some good fakes.
Only buy Mazda!!!...Blueprint aren't too shady, either, as it was originally a part of Mazda itself, and was started to export Mazda spec. spares overseas!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.

Return to “Techie Stuff”