Admiral massive confusion over what a Bongo is

Who's hot and who's not? Good tips and bad rips....

Moderator: Ian

Annandale
Bongonaut

Admiral massive confusion over what a Bongo is

Post by Annandale » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:01 pm

This might be quite long but I need help.
Insured 1995 Bongo with Admiral last week. £175, very pleased. Then I get an email saying that since I had made changes to my policy they were charging £123 more. I hadn't changed anything.

So I called the perfectly nice bloke in India who insisted that I was trying to insure a 'completely different vehicle' to the one I insured last year with Diamond (I didn't know that Diamond and Admiral are the same and would be comparing info). He said last years car was in group 12 and this years was in group 35. Backwards and forwards it went until he decided to get rid of me and connected me with a UK operator who was v. diligent in trying to understand it all. Eventually he thought that the difference was between if it is officially 2500 cc or 2499 cc. 2499 being group in 35. I just checked and mine is down as 2499cc on DCLA docs.

I always thought 2499 was interchangeable with 2500. Mines an unconverted diesel automatic

THye said to phone again today and set it up again from scratch. I don't know if I have the strength, I was on the phone for an hour yesterday saying a Friendee is the same as a Freda, as a mpv, as an auto camper and I know you won't find the reg on your computer . . . . .

Anyone able to advice or point me to a concrete definition???? Any info gratefully received.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Re: Admiral massive confusion over what a Bongo is

Post by francophile1947 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:14 pm

What engine is yours? My diesel was shown as 2490cc on the V5.
Admiral have long been confusing :? Lots of people are insured with them, but many, including me, were told that they didn't insure Bongos because they were grey imports :roll:
How can a 2499cc engine be loads more to insure than a larger 2500cc one :? :?
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:31 pm

Admiral uses a drop down menu with all the bongo variant details, give it a try.
Guru
Bongonaut

Post by Guru » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:30 pm

Use Admiral myself. Swapped the insurance from my old car to my bongo, no problem.

May be different for the Ford equivalent?
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:57 am

No problem for our '95 Freda, part of Admiral multicar policy, £150 fully comp. When I took out the policy I asked for confirmatory emails from them that they were aware it was a 'grey import', also known as Mazda Bongo, and an 8 seater MPV. Subsequently removed mid seats, to make 5 seater, added 17"alloys etc and notified them.

No problem with them, so far..

Derek
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:23 pm

The drop down menu facilitates the Freda also....

Just remember you need to put in Ford not Mazda.

It should read like this

FORD
FREDA
MPV
CAMPER
2500CC
4 DOOR MPV
CAMPER.

PS what vehicle do you have....
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:15 pm

It may be easier to go with another company who understands what you have and need
Flux and Pete best know there stuff
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:27 pm

If its converted, try Camping and Caravanning Club who use Aviva.
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:41 pm

Can recommend Adrian Flux. You speak to an actual person in Kings Lynn who doesn't just use a computer. Every person I've spoken to (quite a few as I've been with them for well over 10 years) is knowledgeable and able to understand all kinds of vehicles I've insured with them including the Bongo, a heavily modified Citroen and a rally prepared 205 GTI.
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
Annandale
Bongonaut

Post by Annandale » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:48 pm

I think it is sorted. Fingers crossed! I offered to take a photo of the back of the Bongo where it says "Friendee' - and they said yes that should do it send it in. its still a bit bonkers. But if that's what it takes.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:42 pm

I've been on the phone to Admiral today. Last year my premium for an N reg Bongo, unconverted, was £187. This year's renewal showed as £493!!!

When I queried it, they agreed it was wrong. Apparently it had been input by one of their operatives as a Mazda MPV. It should have been input as a Mazda Bongo Autocamper. All sorted now. The new premium, by the way, shows an increase, but only to £226, which is Ok with me.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:05 pm

roosmith wrote:Can recommend Adrian Flux. You speak to an actual person in Kings Lynn who doesn't just use a computer. Every person I've spoken to (quite a few as I've been with them for well over 10 years) is knowledgeable and able to understand all kinds of vehicles I've insured with them including the Bongo, a heavily modified Citroen and a rally prepared 205 GTI.
I agree Flux and Pete Best actually train the staff about cars and mods so they understand what we are talking about.
Just moved one of our cars to Flux, £400 with LV £265 with flux and less Excess and more cover including business use it pays to shop around
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:06 pm

Annandale wrote:I think it is sorted. Fingers crossed! I offered to take a photo of the back of the Bongo where it says "Friendee' - and they said yes that should do it send it in. its still a bit bonkers. But if that's what it takes.
A wise move as if they can get out of paying up in future they will

Return to “Insurance”