Replacing illumination in climate control unit (with pics)

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

s.w.blackwell

Replacing illumination in climate control unit (with pics)

Post by s.w.blackwell » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:07 pm

Hi all

I decieded today to check the lamps in my Climate unit as i was sick of fumbling in dark :lol: (for buttons)

heres the pics, hope they help someone.

1 using a terminal driver GENTLY prise the covers off the outer edges.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/s ... CF1655.jpg

2 using two terminal drivers (or a radio removal tool) feel for the catches and gently push the drivers outwards and pull the unit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/s ... CF1654.jpg

3 repeat on the other side. and remove unit

4 undo the two screws.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/s ... CF1652.jpg

5 GENTLY flip the large catches on the top nad bottom(ignore the small ones unless your curious to see the PCB etc) holding the fascia on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/s ... CF1650.jpg

6 unplug the facia (there is a button to release the plug)

7 the illumination lamps will now be visible.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/s ... CF1649.jpg

8 I was lucky, the pcb just needed cleaned to get the lamps working, im guessing a few leds could be fitted and never worry again.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/s ... CF1648.jpg

8a view of the lamps

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/s ... CF1647.jpg

9 put it all back together.

cheers

ste
Last edited by s.w.blackwell on Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:18 pm

Hello steve, a couple of good post their mate :wink:

So is it just that little green case that makes it illuminate green?, the reason i ask is that there was a post not long ago asking if it could be made to change to a different colour :?:
s.w.blackwell

Post by s.w.blackwell » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:21 pm

Hi

There are 3 lamps with little green rubber boots, changing these would change the illumination colour, but only on the buttons, the temp display etc is internally lit and would stay green.

I didnt look close enough to see if it is VFD or LCD, so cant say if it can be changed.

cheers

ste
s.w.blackwell

Post by s.w.blackwell » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:20 am

can I just replace them with leds in the holder? If so any idea where from, what size etc? If not any idea where I can get the bulbs?
I get my leds for my various projects from CPC (a sub company of farnell)
I was intending soldering some in with inline resistors. Its not a style thing, i just dont want t have to do them again. i intend to keep them green. (suppose you could use any color if you like that kind of thing)

If replacement bulbs are hard/expenive i dont mind buying some extra leds and resistors, they are only pennies, but can you solder miss fixit?

Could maybe reuse origional holders and fit leds to them but no promises, let me try next week.

the climate ones are differnt by the way. but could be modded again i suppose.
cheers

ste
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:59 am

Well done for the write up with pics S.W.... :wink:

I have the boring old aircon controls, as opposed to the funky climate controls.

R.E point 2 in your write-up, it looks as though a ford stereo removal tool will fit the release tabs.
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:31 pm

Replaced my climate control & electric blind control bulbs today with the wire terminal bulbs from maplins ( had already ordered them before swb led post), they fit straight into the bulb holders, no soldering necessary. the only problem being that the green covers don't fit over the bulbs in the climate control as the new bulbs are smaller than the originals. couldn't be bothered messing about too much tonight, at least they now work. They are exactly the same size as the window switch ones, don't know about the front fog switch as the holder wasn't in the switch, will have to see if i can find one or just solder a bulb in. just had another rummage on Maplins site & found these coloured bulbs, which look like they should do the job.
I'm not trying to detract from the led option, they take a little more messing about to fit involving soldering, but are cheaper to buy, draw less current & should last longer, but SWB reckons they are a bit dimmer.
The bulbs fit straight in the original holders, & are the same brightness as the original bulbs.
At least there are options.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
Lovejoy

Post by Lovejoy » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:18 am

Did anyone ever find anywhere to get replacement bulbs or bulbs + holders?

Two of mine had gone, and following the OP's instructions I easily got them out. Took them to 3 motor factors today (including a Ford garage) and none of them had replacements anything like the Mazda ones.

My nearest Mazda dealer is Plymouth so might give them a try on Monday.

Don't fancy the soldering of LED's option, and the link to 'ickle' bulbs does not seem to work - the page is all about Maplins cookies.

So has anyone got a source for these bulbs. I would like to replace them before I screw everything back together again.

By the way, Vauxhall stereo removal tools fit the holes perfectly to release the unit from the dash. Just happened to have a couple lying around for my Combo van and couldn't believe my luck when they fitted exactly :lol:
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:00 am

Reckon these 5mm wire filament bulbs should fit the climate control & be big enough so the little green condoms don't fall off like these BT43W wire lamp 12v that I fitted. I think I put the links on the compatible parts database, if not I will do it now.
Lovejoy

Post by Lovejoy » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:04 pm

Ah yes, those links work fine, thank you.

So I take it the actual replacement bulbs in their holders cannot be purchased in the UK ? :(
Lovejoy

Post by Lovejoy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:14 am

I've managed to wire one up into one of the holders, but it's too cold to go and try and fit it.

Besides, I have to do all three now in case the bulbs are different brightnesses. Then i'll still have 2 spares of the same type.

I know you can get heat resistant paint, but whether it's worth messing around with I don't know. I'll see what it looks like when the three bulbs are swapped for the new white ones.
Lovejoy

Post by Lovejoy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:17 pm

Job done.

Just to report something not mentioned in the original post:

Of the three bulbs in the rear of the climate control unit, one has a different sized green condom.
Two of the bulbs are in green holders and have what I believe are 5mm bulbs with appropriately sized condoms.

The 3rd however is in a black holder (It's the one which lights the Auto/Off switches), and although on the face of it the bulb and holder look the same, the condom is only about half the size of the other two.

I left the condoms off as I purchased 3mm bulbs which the big ones did not fit.

When re-assembled I can't actually notice much difference. The bulbs are not over bright as a result of not having the condoms on.

As the three green 'condoms' are currently sat on my desk and likely to be lost very soon, if anyone wants them just ask and i'll post them off to you.
John the sparky

Post by John the sparky » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:41 pm

I'm not going to own up to needing a 3mm or even a 5mm condom :shock:

thanks for the offer :lol: :lol: :lol:
John
Lovejoy

Post by Lovejoy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:02 pm

The 3mm ones go through the hole just fine, but no condoms, so might not be safe :oops:
BongoMTBer

Post by BongoMTBer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:14 pm

I am now confused (not hard for me).

I wish to go for a blue dash option to match my stereo.

Will those moaplin sub-minature bulbs (in blue) fit switches, dials, digi climate control and BMW clock?

I am prepared to do soldering.

Also, how many will I need?

These bloomin' Bongo's. Cannot believe how much time I am spending on it.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:56 pm

as far as the cc goes, you can't change the colour of the main display, at least not with changing the bulbs, they only illuminate the switches, haven't tried them yet, so don't know how bright they'll be as the leds were cack :( The bmw clock bulb is quite a big one, BDC & others have changed theirs for blue along with dash lights etc, think it was part of the white dial face kit tho?

Return to “Techie Stuff”