bonnet bra

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

junior
Bongonaut

bonnet bra

Post by junior » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:34 pm

hi friends, hoping to invest in a bonnet bra soon but unsure as to where is best to look. does anyone have one fitted? if so where from please. do they come in different colours? had a look at van x but they seem to be limited on desigins and colours unless you can create your own?. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Re: bonnet bra

Post by David Edwards » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:41 pm

have to ask WHY? lol
the janner vanner
Supreme Being

Post by the janner vanner » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:12 pm

Do'nt do it, I had one and after a few months the paint under the bra left a water mark on my bonnet. And a friend who had one was scared to take it off because of the fear of rust he could feel through the bra material. A rust trap, not a good idea.
The Janner Vanner
bongodonkey
Tribal Elder

Post by bongodonkey » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:08 pm

I've a bonnet bra and swear by them.

Unfortunately unless you can find someone to make one, you are limited with what is around!

The previous posts about 'tide' marks and rust are true. However, what I do is; remove bonnet bra and put in a 30/40C wash to get rid of all the residual dust/grit/sand from the rain. Wash the bongo as normal. Summer I do this every 8 weeks or so. Winter monthly - this prevents the paint issues. However, the lighter colour the bongo the easier it is to get away without any damage.

Also, when I bought mine last summer, it literally paid for itself within moments - protecting the bonnet from a shed load of gravel that a quarry truck (I was trying to avoid) had shed in the road!

Secret is to wash the bonnet bra regularly and clean the bonnet regularly too. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Oz, Sam & the girls | 2001 V6 AFT | LPG | 321Away F/S/C | A Bongo called OLIVE
Observer
Bongolier

Post by Observer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:55 am

bongodonkey wrote:
Secret is to wash the bonnet bra regularly and clean the bonnet regularly too. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
With your other smalls :?: :lol: :lol:
My iPhone - My office
junior
Bongonaut

Post by junior » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:35 pm

bongodonkey wrote:I've a bonnet bra and swear by them.

Unfortunately unless you can find someone to make one, you are limited with what is around!

The previous posts about 'tide' marks and rust are true. However, what I do is; remove bonnet bra and put in a 30/40C wash to get rid of all the residual dust/grit/sand from the rain. Wash the bongo as normal. Summer I do this every 8 weeks or so. Winter monthly - this prevents the paint issues. However, the lighter colour the bongo the easier it is to get away without any damage.

Also, when I bought mine last summer, it literally paid for itself within moments - protecting the bonnet from a shed load of gravel that a quarry truck (I was trying to avoid) had shed in the road!

where did you get your bonnet bra from please?
bongodonkey
Tribal Elder

Post by bongodonkey » Wed May 01, 2013 10:07 am

I got mine from van-x. You can either bid on one from ebay or buy direct online. Also every now and then one pops up on ebay as well.

Enjoy is what I say
Oz, Sam & the girls | 2001 V6 AFT | LPG | 321Away F/S/C | A Bongo called OLIVE
cheffy34
Supreme Being

Post by cheffy34 » Sat May 04, 2013 7:20 am

I love them!! more so on a vw t4 especially if you bonnet looks like mine, my bonnet straps may cause a prob tho :roll: bonnet catch dont work since the wife drove the van through my garage.

dar
All disclaimers count as i know nothing
BUY A V6er i like my affair with the petrol pump
the janner vanner
Supreme Being

Post by the janner vanner » Sat May 04, 2013 6:43 pm

Hi Darren, long time no see, i would be great to see you at one of our meets, the old wagon muct have changed a lot since I last saw it. I also think that Bra's look good on VW's, I just had a load of trouble with mine. You now me, alway polishing my Bongo. So god knows how I got a faded in such a short time beats me.
The Janner Vanner
Mark Norton
Bongonaut

Post by Mark Norton » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:41 pm

My bonnet is badly stone chipped, the Van X Bonnet Bra was a lot quicker and cheaper than a repaint. Been on the Bongo for 3 to 4 years still looks good, I have the black/black checkered.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”