Tweeters in the roof?

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Tricky Dicky
Bongonaut

Tweeters in the roof?

Post by Tricky Dicky » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:45 pm

Hi all,I have a 97 2.5td tiintop.The sound system is in the middle being upgraded, I have replaced the front speakers for some FLYf15s,added a Sony 4 channel amp and I want to add some tweeters.The car also has some factory fitted speakers in the rear in the roof linning in front of the sunroof.Can I replace these with a pair of three inch tweeters and crossovers ?If so how do you get them out?
SPARKYSSS

Re: Tweeters in the roof?

Post by SPARKYSSS » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:32 pm

I wondered how long it would be before you started upgrading those little things mate :lol: :lol: Look forward to seeing the results
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:51 pm

I was thinking of a sound upgrade myself at some point.. Though my head lining is blank there is a fitting & space in the roof frame for tweeters.. (HL out to fit a second SR switch cab light) Just a matter of cutting the head lining in mine i suppose!??

This lushy P link might help give some idea?!! http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... no=.html#3

Put some pics up on how you get on! :D
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:58 pm

Tricky Dicky wrote:Hi all,I have a 97 2.5td tiintop.The sound system is in the middle being upgraded, I have replaced the front speakers for some FLYf15s,added a Sony 4 channel amp and I want to add some tweeters.The car also has some factory fitted speakers in the rear in the roof linning in front of the sunroof.Can I replace these with a pair of three inch tweeters and crossovers ?If so how do you get them out?
That's a pretty rare beast to have the speakers fitted there... I've seen just the one bongo over the years with that set up... You could always "tap" into those speakers with "tune up tweeters" for a cheap and cheerful lift in sound.... :wink: I've got two tweeters on the A pillar via crossovers, and another pair facing the rear high up near the rear heater vents. 8)

Sony amps need plenty of free air around them in my experience,pick your location carefully :shock: Mine's exposed from the front, with plenty of space in a "false wall" to the rear...

ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
Tricky Dicky
Bongonaut

Post by Tricky Dicky » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:44 pm

Yep I figured it must be a rare beasty,I have never seen another with this set up before,the speakers I removed from the fronts looked very high end units too.My intention is to fit a pair of tweeters along side of the existing speakers and tapping in with a crossover.What I need to know is how to remove the existing speakers.The amp lives above the glove box on top of the tube that go's across the front of the van on a shelf I have made, so it's actually under the dash on the passenger side.
Rick
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:24 pm

Tricky Dicky wrote:Yep I figured it must be a rare beasty,I have never seen another with this set up before,the speakers I removed from the fronts looked very high end units too.My intention is to fit a pair of tweeters along side of the existing speakers and tapping in with a crossover.What I need to know is how to remove the existing speakers.The amp lives above the glove box on top of the tube that go's across the front of the van on a shelf I have made, so it's actually under the dash on the passenger side.
Rick
The front door cards or rear panels?
Tricky Dicky
Bongonaut

Post by Tricky Dicky » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:38 pm

Hi. not front door cards or rear panels,these speakers are fitted in the roof lining in front of the sunroof.
SPARKYSSS

Post by SPARKYSSS » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:27 pm

Post a pic up mate so everyone else can see what you mean - i havent seen them up there before 8) 8)
Tricky Dicky
Bongonaut

Post by Tricky Dicky » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:30 pm

Your wish is my command
Tricky Dicky
Bongonaut

Post by Tricky Dicky » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:37 pm

bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Tricky Dicky wrote:Hi. not front door cards or rear panels,these speakers are fitted in the roof lining in front of the sunroof.
Right... I get you. Hmm, I don't want to be held responsible for any plastic cracking type noises, but those APPEAR to lever off, gently, using care rather than brute force :-k
Cosmic Bus
Bongolier

Post by Cosmic Bus » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Are speakers up there not on all Bongos then?? I asked a question about these before (can't seem to add link to thread) and jaylee posted the same diagram.

Looks like they screw off from the back to me so I never took the head lining off to get to them. Speaker still buzzes :roll:

Will be good to hear how you get on and if it's a pig of a job or not, I wouldn't mind replacing it with a new one.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:04 pm

I've never seen them on any other Bongo other than the pics Tricky Dicky posted, CB...

I don't have them fitted to mine, just plain head lining.. But i know the recess is there from a mod i did to my sun roof...

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... no=.html#3

I'd say the speaker grills kind of pop rivet via the plastic grill moulding to a gasket behind the head-lining when the roof trim was fitted in the factory??

It should be possible to drop the lining slightly..? 5 scrivets hold the two sections in place 3 you can see, (from memory.) 2 scrivets are hidden behind either side under the window/door trim plastic, & see what's happening behind.?!!

The front door rubbers kind of hold the rest up in place up to the sun visors.. & so does the B pillar/drivers/passenger seat belt trim bit...!?

I personally don't think there is too much to remove to get at the speakers....? :-k
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”