oil from air intake

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

haydn27

oil from air intake

Post by haydn27 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:53 pm

Hi
i have just changed the head on my 2.5d N reg bongo. Trying to start it it was turing over and trying to fire up, started, running very lumpy and smoking from exhaust then i noticed oil coming out of the air intake, it was a lot, looks like somehow the sum was emptying in to the air intake. After spending the last 2 weeks sorting the head out and getting it fitted i am now not happy with my Bongo :cry: :evil: .
Any one got any ideas what i can / shoudl check that is causing this?

Cheers

Haydn
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: oil from air intake

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:56 pm

turbo
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:30 am

a big big word of warning.
if you start the engine with this oil in the air intake the engine could run/burn this oil, so when you try to stop the engine with the key, it turns off but doesnt stop. instead it could rev itself to death at full throttle.

please take care.
roofraisers
Bongolier

Post by roofraisers » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:48 am

I think this sounds like you need to remove the intake air intercooler & drain the engine oil that has possibly gathered in it.
It could be that over the period of time your Bongo wasn't started, the oil in the intake system has gravitated there (being the lowest point) & now seems like a lot.

This thread below gives a bit more detail on causes, removal & cleaning of intercooler.

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... ntercooler

One other thing to check, has you engine oil level gone down whilst trying to start it.If it has gone down dramatically you could be some how pumping engine oil straight into the intake system......not sure how unless you do have a major turbo seal failure.

I think try the intercooler clean & then try to run the Bongo again.It may just be a build up of oil from the last however many years & miles that your Bongo has done.

Nigel.
haydn27

Post by haydn27 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:42 pm

thanks for the advise so far.
i will try and have a look at the intercooler and turbo.
the vehicle has been standing for about a month now due to the head going.
there was a lot of oil, so i am thinking might be pumping out of sump or turbo.

I just want my bongo back on the road :(

Thanks again
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:55 pm

Can't see why the turbo would cause oil at the air INTAKE :? the turbo can't blow air backwards unless someone, somehow, has mixed the pipes around................

Check the crankcase is breathing properly (the breather pipe from the camcover isn't blocked or kinked) and that the sump hasn't been overfilled - as Ady says - run it at your peril - if it injests the oil it could self destruct.
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:40 pm

i was thinking that if the turbo has a major oil leak, and the engine was run then switched off, it would run to the lowest point ( air filter housing), this is what i thought he meant when he said air intake.
roofraisers
Bongolier

Post by roofraisers » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:33 pm

I thought air intake as being the inlet manifold.....but thinking about how would you see it unless a vacuum pipe or something was off #-o
Never really gave a thought to oil running back to the air filter box. :oops:

Will be interested to hear which it is.

Nigel
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:39 pm

I thought the same as you Nigel, as oil tends to leak out of the forward joint of the inlet manifold anyway (egr gunk etc), can't really see how it would get back to the filter box, I'd have thought intercooler was lower & more likely to fill up as that is the direction of airflow.
Could it have just been a slug of accumulated oil from the intercooler being pushed through? still not a good thing but it may not be as bad as it looks/sounds, if the sump level isn't falling, you could always crack the outlet from the turbo to check, once the excess oil has been cleared out, but as said, proceed with caution if it is burning signficant amounts of oil.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
haydn27

Post by haydn27 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:07 pm

hi sorry for the confusion. The oil was coming out of the big black rise that goes to the air filter. Just had not put the air filter top on. I think this was luck or i would not have seen all the oil. There was a lot oozing out. I would say more than just excess in intercooler. Will have a look at it tomorrow to make sure i put every thing back the right way round and check the oil level. And give it a good clean before i try to start it. Note has been taken about taking care so it Dont blow its self up. Thanks. Will keep you up dated. I am now thinking i have done something wrong.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:19 pm

The breather from the rocker cover feeds in a bit further up that intake hose, after the filter & before the turbo, part 10255c - http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html
Certainly needs checking out properly though :?
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:03 am

once you have cleaned everything out, and made it safe to run, i would remove the pipe (breather) that goes into the rocker cover above the turbo. see if its chufing out oil, with the engine running.
did you get/buy a new head, or an already built head, could be bad valve stem seals.

just another thought, is the fuel pump front seal leaking into the sump ----- raising the level of the engine oil, so that it is now way over full.
check the engine oil level.
haydn27

Post by haydn27 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:59 pm

Many thanks to you all for your advise and support.
Here is the outcome i found today.
i started by taking the breather pipe off rocker cover and all the air intake pipes from Air filter to turbo.
there was oil by the fan blades of the Turbo, i wiped this clean and it slowly came back #-o .
Ok i then checked the oil level before i started to do anything else, And i found the oil was over filled. it was about 3/4 the way up the dip stick.
I have drained the oil down to a proper level, cleaned the pipes and She started =D> , had some smoke issues but soon cleared.
I am now not using it till i have changed the oil and oil filter.
The oil was more of a dark grey and very sludgey. so water had got in and filled up the sump.

Almost got my bongo back. :) =D>

Any one know if i can buy a oil filter from a normal motorist shop or if it is a order online only.
I am looking for a cheap one to start with so i can fluch system with cheap oil, put new filter on and run it for a few days then change filter and oil again.

once again thanks for your help. Lesson learnt, when changing a head check / drain oil at same time.

Cheers
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:47 pm

yes you can get the filter anywhere,well anywhere thats good.
there is a list of compatible filters and motors somewhere that tell what else you can use.
i think one may be the mazda b2500 ranger,but best to wait for others to come on with a link or something.

Return to “Techie Stuff”