V6 hoses

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

TerryG
Bongolier

V6 hoses

Post by TerryG » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:36 pm

Any thoughts on whether it's worth replacing the main coolant hoses, or should I only consider replacing all the hoses, which seems like a monster job?
I suppose no single hose is more likely to fail than any other - but at least 5 new ones are 5 that are less likely to fail.
What has anyone else done?
'Enjoy every sandwich'
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Re: V6 hoses

Post by haydn callow » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:15 pm

I wouldn't bother changing them just for the sake of it.......examine the hoses when hot and under pressure....if all seems well I would leave alone....if any are "balloning" or suspect in any way just replace that hose.
I have a V6 and it is rare for the coolant to get to 80C.....65C is normal cruising temp for the TOP hose which is probably the hottest hose.

you can be sure that if you change half a dozen hoses....a differant one will let go..

Changing them all would be good but as you say a mammoth job and you would spend the next year chaseing weeping joints...
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:28 pm

haydn callow wrote:I wouldn't bother changing them just for the sake of it.......examine the hoses when hot and under pressure....if all seems well I would leave alone....if any are "balloning" or suspect in any way just replace that hose.
I have a V6 and it is rare for the coolant to get to 80C.....65C is normal cruising temp for the TOP hose which is probably the hottest hose.

you can be sure that if you change half a dozen hoses....a differant one will let go..

Changing them all would be good but as you say a mammoth job and you would spend the next year chaseing weeping joints...

Hi haydn,

Could you tell me what the temperature rating is, on a standard V6 thermostat.

Thanks. :)
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:44 pm

82 i think !!
Also BMW Clocks
Bongo??
Bongolier

Post by Bongo?? » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:54 pm

haydn callow wrote:I wouldn't bother changing them just for the sake of it.......examine the hoses when hot and under pressure....if all seems well I would leave alone....if any are "balloning" or suspect in any way just replace that hose.

My V6 runs at approx 80 degs and rises to about 86 in traffic,standard Mazda gauge always sits at 11 o`clock. :roll:
Year 2000 V6
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:00 pm

How are you measuring that temp and where is the sensor positioned..
My readings are from the coolant INSIDE the top hose where it exits the cylinder head
Also BMW Clocks
Bongo??
Bongolier

Post by Bongo?? » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:03 pm

haydn callow wrote:How are you measuring that temp and where is the sensor positioned..
My readings are from the coolant INSIDE the top hose where it exits the cylinder head
Measuring with an electrical temp gauge tapped into the small hose from the rad to the expansion tank...
Year 2000 V6
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:47 am

Bongo?? wrote:

My V6 runs at approx 80 degs and rises to about 86 in traffic,standard Mazda gauge always sits at 11 o`clock. :roll:
Hi,
That sounds nearer the mark, if the standard thermostat is rated at 82 degrees :)

Cheers.
apole
Supreme Being

Post by apole » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:12 pm

I had a V6 for a number of years and agree with the comments above.

Keep a special eye on the two small hoses that are under the drivers door leading to the rear heater matrix. They are exposed to the elements more and on mine one failed whilst it was parked up.

After a few years I did change all of mine as a precaution as had it apart anyway and was planning to keep a long time, but that being said so long as you keep a close eye on all hoses, pipes etc you should be fine.

Recommend a low coolant alarm if you don't already have one too.

Andy

Return to “Techie Stuff”