not used to an automatic

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bongolou
Bongolier

not used to an automatic

Post by bongolou » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:52 am

Hi
Loving my bongo very much. But this is my first automatic so not sure if this is the norm or not.
I park the bongo down a very steep lane on my driveway. In the mornings i get in start up reverse and head on down the long steep narrow lane onto the road. Due to the steepness i have to have my foot on the brake the whole time else the bongo goes too fast. In my car i could pull the clutch up in first gear and use the engine to brake. The issue with using the brake in the bongo is the fact i notice a funny feeling/noise under the brake pedal shortly after heading down the lane almost like its engaging or something is this normal? It is the only time it happens and doesn't happen more than the once.
Sorry if this seems like a silly question but not having had a bongo or automatic before im curious.
2002 Bongo V6 Petrol AFT Sunlight Silver Metallic with YKK awning.
MarcT77
Bongolier

Re: not used to an automatic

Post by MarcT77 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:55 am

Have you tried selecting the 'L' and using the 'Hold' button ?
Should make things a little easier to control if the lane is really steep...
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:58 am

MarcT77 wrote:Have you tried selecting the 'L' and using the 'Hold' button ?
Should make things a little easier to control if the lane is really steep...
As well as that, is it not possible to reverse in, rather than out, as going down a steep slope forwards is often easier and safer than trying to do it in reverse.
bongolou
Bongolier

Post by bongolou » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:01 pm

Ah L and Hold i will give that a go :) , does that keep it in 1st gear then when i get to the bottom reselect d3?
I reverse out the drive onto the lane and do down the lead forwards which is a downhill slope it that makes sense. I cant get out the driveway without reversing a bit first.
sdsk
Bongolier

Post by sdsk » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:41 pm

Some useful bits from the owners manual:

There's more somewher about the hold button ....

Darron
ImageImage
2001 Aero 2.0l JAL Skylift roof & K2 Campers Intrepid Rear conversion in Carbon Fibre
bongolou
Bongolier

Post by bongolou » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:06 pm

Thank you very helpful will try that later. Anyone got any ideas what the knock noise feel is under the brake pedal that I mentioned?
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:27 pm

bongolou wrote:Thank you very helpful will try that later. Anyone got any ideas what the knock noise feel is under the brake pedal that I mentioned?
If you are on a loose or slippery surface when you get the strange "feel/noise" through the brake pedal that is your anti lock brakes working.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:28 pm

bongolou wrote: Anyone got any ideas what the knock noise feel is under the brake pedal that I mentioned?
Sounds like the pads moving in the calliper. If it only happens once, there is nothing to worry about 8)
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
bongolou
Bongolier

Post by bongolou » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:38 pm

only happens once each day down the steep lane never at other times. Mind you just now (on lunch break) when i was in L like suggested down the lane it didnt do it at all.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:16 pm

If you have made the transition from braking a heavy vehicle on a slope in reverse to braking again on a slope in forward, the brake components will shift (often audibly and also feelable through the pedal) from one extreme to the other.

Motoring lore from the drum brake days had it that brakes were designed to 'bite' better when going forwards but some parking brakes held better facing uphill. When parked downhill it was the done thing to turn the front wheels into the kerb. On a 2 WD Bongo there is absolutely no front wheel braking without someone's foot on the pedal.

Don't use the Bongo handbrake while in motion because the shoes are not spec'd for that use as well as being grossly overpriced and fiddly to replace. Used for light duty parking (and passing the MoT) they should last the life of the van. Normal unattended parking is catered for by the P selection, without which, of course, you can't get the key out.

I have a sloping drive also, so I tend to pull the handbrake up fairly hard to take some of the strain off the P mechanism.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:09 am

As said above - use S or L if you want engine braking. One thing with automatics - don't be afraid to use the brakes a lot - you use them a LOT more than in a manual. It's perfectly normal. As someone once said to me, "replacing brake shoes is a LOT cheaper than fixing transmission".
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans

Return to “Techie Stuff”