Overheated

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

the laird
Supreme Being

Re: Overheated

Post by the laird » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:03 pm

Did you note miles in so you can see if they've gave it a good road test ,did they recover it and how about your fuel leak?
egor617
Bongolier

Post by egor617 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:54 pm

Didn't note mileage.

Yes the garage recovered it on a low loader, found a split on the new bottom hose so have ordered another which is due in tomorrow.

Need to check re the fuel leak tomorrow, they haven't made any fuss re picking up/sorting out the bongo.
the laird
Supreme Being

Post by the laird » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:21 pm

Looks like it's their prob mate any issues with engine is now down to the defective hose on coolant ,good luck and keep us up to date
egor617
Bongolier

Post by egor617 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:17 pm

the laird wrote:Looks like it's their prob mate any issues with engine is now down to the defective hose on coolant ,good luck and keep us up to date
They seem pretty convinced there is no damage to the engine/head.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:15 am

Bit worrying that a brand new hose has split. It sounds like it may have been damaged during fitting.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:34 am

It's good they have found the problem and fixed it. However in the first post you say the temp gauge started to rise and you limped home, the expansion tank was empty....

it's almost impossible to now say all is well......the head could well be damaged, but may not manifest itself for many weeks........give it 6 months or 3000 miles.....if all well, good.......if any problems within that time I feel the garage should take responsibility.......make this clear to the garage, they really should have tested the system after working on the hoses. If you overheated the engine and emptied the expansion tank there is a fair chance the head will have suffered.

Do fit a Low Coolant Alarm.....it would have warned you long before the tank was empty and prevented the overheating.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
egor617
Bongolier

Post by egor617 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:57 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply's i thought i'd give a update.

Well the garage came and picked up bongo and took it back, found a split bottom hose ( hose set was purchased from the company on front page of bongofury) put on new hose and bled the bongo, they kept it the next day and used it to do odd jobs and check it didn't overheat again and returned it back to us.

They say they've pressure tested it and there is no evidence of head gasket failure or the head cracking.

We've done a lot of stop/start driving and a quick 30 mile blast down the motorway and everything seems ok.

Low coolant alarm is next on my to do list.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:10 pm

That's good....but.....my comments above are still valid.....?Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
Also BMW Clocks
egor617
Bongolier

Post by egor617 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:08 pm

haydn callow wrote:That's good....but.....my comments above are still valid.....?Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
Re your comments the garage have so far not shirked any responsibility , they say there is no damage to the head that they bled pressure tested the system on weds and it was fine then road tested it on thursday and there was no over heating, i'm not really sure what more i can ask for?
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:43 pm

There is nothing more you or the garage can do at this point.......however tests do not always show up damage.....the head is hopefully o.k. But what I am saying is....if it starts chucking out coolant from the tank in 3 months time.......it will be related to the recent overheating which was caused by the split hose fitted by the garage...
Also BMW Clocks

Return to “Techie Stuff”