Another battery question

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

andydad
Bongonaut

Another battery question

Post by andydad » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:46 pm

Hi. i have a leisure battery,connected via a split charger. My query is, if I disconnect the starter battery, does this mean that the leisure battery ceases to work. That is what is currently happening.
Thanks.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Re: Another battery question

Post by cmm303 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:40 pm

Would not expect it to affect circuits running off the LB. The split charge relay is only triggered to make a circuit between SB and LB positives when SB is charged, allowing the LB to be charged.
Are the affected circuits are actually running off the LB? (Try disconnecting the LB with SB connected).
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:56 pm

What equipment are you expecting to be connected to the leisure battery?
andydad
Bongonaut

Post by andydad » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:08 pm

I got a garage to put the radio on the lb.I've been having issues with SB & have had to disconnect to charge it a few times. Think I'm going to need a new one!! Anyway, its making me have to retune radio every time.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:57 pm

I expect they've left the permanent feed on the SB and just moved what is supposed to be the switched feed to the LB which means you can accidentally leave it on all the time. When you disconnect the SB you will loose all the settings.

I've used a relay controlled by a switch to move items from SB to LB as required. Normally, its on SB position so things like the radio go off with the ignition (which is how you need it for everyday use) and then when on-site, I switch it over to LB so it can be on all the time.
andydad
Bongonaut

Post by andydad » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:00 pm

Thanks for that Simon. I might see about getting a switch fitted.
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:12 am

Or, if your radio has an on/off button, have both wires moved to the leisure battery and switch the radio off when not in use. The standby current should not be enough for any concern.
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:26 pm

Dodgey wrote:Or, if your radio has an on/off button, have both wires moved to the leisure battery and switch the radio off when not in use. The standby current should not be enough for any concern.
Make of radio might help here. Some have a reputation for having troublesome drain levels. My Sony has 2 "off" levels, one with display on and a long-press proper off. It can also be set to go into the proper off state by timer but this isn't Sony's default setting.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:24 pm

cmm303 wrote:
Dodgey wrote:Or, if your radio has an on/off button, have both wires moved to the leisure battery and switch the radio off when not in use. The standby current should not be enough for any concern.
Make of radio might help here. Some have a reputation for having troublesome drain levels. My Sony has 2 "off" levels, one with display on and a long-press proper off. It can also be set to go into the proper off state by timer but this isn't Sony's default setting.

Indeed - but if your LB is connected with a split charging relay, this is no different from it being connected to your starter battery - either one is going to take the drain the radio might have.

Radio on LB - lb is topped up via split charge relay when engine is running.
Radio on SB - sb is topped up when engine is running.

If your radio is draining either battery to to point of having a flat battery then I'd bin the radio!
windywatson
Tribal Elder

Post by windywatson » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:52 pm

Hi,
Returning to the original post. Your equipment that is be run from your leisure battery should still work even if you remove the starter battery. If this is not the case then the way in which the your system is wired up is not correct and needs investigation.
With respect to the comment that a radio wired to the LB would drain either battery is incorrect. if your leisure battery is wired correctly and your radio or any other item connected to your LB should not be putting any drain on the SB what so ever. The split charged will have isolated the LB once the engine had been switched off and the alternator stopped charging. If any of your equipment that is connected to the LB causes your SB to discharge then you should investigate how it is wired as that shouldn't be happening.

Cheers

Richard.
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:07 am

Might be a good idea to check that the earth (negative) from the leisure battery is working OK.
Take the strap off, clean it up both ends and put a smear of copper grease on it.
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:58 am

windywatson wrote:Hi,
Returning to the original post. Your equipment that is be run from your leisure battery should still work even if you remove the starter battery. If this is not the case then the way in which the your system is wired up is not correct and needs investigation.
With respect to the comment that a radio wired to the LB would drain either battery is incorrect. if your leisure battery is wired correctly and your radio or any other item connected to your LB should not be putting any drain on the SB what so ever. The split charged will have isolated the LB once the engine had been switched off and the alternator stopped charging. If any of your equipment that is connected to the LB causes your SB to discharge then you should investigate how it is wired as that shouldn't be happening.

Cheers

Richard.
You've misread me Richard.

I know how split charging systems works. I make and install them.

What I'm saying is that whatever power your radio uses, from whichever battery, it'll ultimately be recharged at the same time - when you run the engine.

If your radio is flattening either battery on standby then you have a problem that needs addressing that no split charging system is going to help you with.

Of course it always makes sense to have the radio's main power feed coming from the LB so that you can't flatten the SB whilst using the radio when camping.

If in doubt, put both radio feeds to the LB and switch the radio off via it's control panel, or a manual switch if the radio doesn't have one. This is what the OP needs to do (hello Anydad! :-) )

The OPs split charging systems sounds like it's fine, but the garage has wired the battery backup of his radio to the SB, causing it to reset when he disconnects the SB.
andydad
Bongonaut

Post by andydad » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:35 pm

Thanks all for your input. There's obviously a problem with the way the 2 batteries are wired up so I'll have to get that sorted. Haven't really got a problem with the radio except when SB is disconnected so that'll be my first job.

Thanks

Return to “Techie Stuff”