Bongo overheat spook (worth knowing abiout false alarm)

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Cab-ova pete
Bongolier

Re: Bongo overheat spook (worth knowing abiout false alarm)

Post by Cab-ova pete » Mon May 25, 2015 12:17 pm

Frank, that sounds an interesting modification, does it not cause any problems elsewhere? I haven't done a big run yet but I'm hoping to be heading Scotland in July? Hopefully I will have a tm2 Haydn alarm fitted before then?
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Mon May 25, 2015 12:25 pm

99°C is fairly low to set as a warning temperature. I can hit 99°C occasionally when under load - i.e. fast up long hills. Usually sit about 92°-93°, but 99° is relatively easy to achieve. Certainly not worth worrying about. (Temp measured at the rear of the head)

Bear in mind that the system is pressurised, so the coolant can't boil until the pressure is vented unless the temperature exceeds 121°C.

IIRC, my alarm is set around 105°C - at a level which I never see in normal use, and sufficiently below 121° to alert me well in advance of disaster
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon May 25, 2015 3:04 pm

dave_aber wrote:99°C is fairly low to set as a warning temperature. I can hit 99°C occasionally when under load - i.e. fast up long hills. Usually sit about 92°-93°, but 99° is relatively easy to achieve. Certainly not worth worrying about. (Temp measured at the rear of the head)

Bear in mind that the system is pressurised, so the coolant can't boil until the pressure is vented unless the temperature exceeds 121°C.

IIRC, my alarm is set around 105°C - at a level which I never see in normal use, and sufficiently below 121° to alert me well in advance of disaster
Good info dave I forgot about the pressure changing the boiling temp. I could probably push it to 100C
I like the extra early warning, safe than sorry etc. The TM2 is not so loud as to make you jump out of your skin, it is the right volume level to make you go... "what's that and then check the alarm"
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon May 25, 2015 3:10 pm

Cab-ova pete wrote:Hi all, I've gotten the message now! I have the basic a/c in a 97 diesel, I just thought I was missing something of importance that I should know? I have always been under the impression that using a/c uses more fuel? Fuel is the most important part of the journey to me #-o don't get me wrong I use the aircon on this se hot blistering drives, but mainly keep the windows open, El-naturalo :D . And yes mikeon =D> I'm hearing you :lol:
Driving above 30mph with windows open can cause drag/reduce aerodynamics (if that is possible on a Bongo lol) and therefore burn more fuel. Though the plastic protector things on the bongo front windows guard against that a bit, probably. Better off using aircon I think at 50mph and above.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Mon May 25, 2015 6:51 pm

Cab-ova pete wrote:Frank, that sounds an interesting modification, does it not cause any problems elsewhere?....
Not for me, but it might for anyone who wants air conditioning!

It certainly gives me peace of mind when I've been thundering along with a heavy load and suddenly hit a 30 minute stop-start traffic jam going up hill on a hot day. On go those fans, on goes the heater flat out with the windows open. Alternatively put that crimped metal to plastic radiator join to the test as it gets red hot!

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
Cab-ova pete
Bongolier

Post by Cab-ova pete » Mon May 25, 2015 7:47 pm

Someone should have created a switch or something to do exactly what you have done there frank :? Thanks for the info :D
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Mon May 25, 2015 8:43 pm

Cab-ova pete wrote:Someone should have created a switch or something to do exactly what you have done there frank :? Thanks for the info :D
They probably have. I expect the fans also come on after the water temperature reaches danger point. I prefer to start cooling before the radiator seam is put to the test.

Similarly, I believe that one or two members have put a manual override on the engine scavenger fan. I must do that too.

Frank
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Tue May 26, 2015 6:31 am

The switching of the fans as standard is in two stages, in fact the two fans on the radiator are different, different number of blades. I don't know what the temperature thresholds are but one fan kicks in and then both depending on demand.

mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue May 26, 2015 11:18 am

Like I said earlier .. it is very rare I turn my AC off winter or summer .. so as soon as the ignition is switched on a fan radiator fan starts .. which uses engine power .. to 'drive' the alternator .. which uses fuel .. but so does turning the radio on .. lights .. heater blower .. heated back window .. reversing lights .. or what ever ..

How far do you go to achieve your goal .. why have some thing to improve comfort / quality of life then disconnect / never use it .. but there again I use LPG which is more cost effective than petrol so helps to pay for my little luxury (?)

I don't drink (how much are a couple of pints or a bottle of wine?) .. smoke (how much are ciggies ?) don't gamble (never been in a bookies in all my life) .. don't chase women (they would have to be very gentle with me anyway) .. don't eat out .. never even had a Big Mac in my life .. don't have a mobile phone (how much are some of those gizmos?) so maybe always having the AC on when driving compensates a little ..!!
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Cab-ova pete
Bongolier

Post by Cab-ova pete » Tue May 26, 2015 6:56 pm

Sorry to say Mike but you don't know what your missing mate :lol: :D oh your not in prison are you Mike?? :shock: :lol:
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:37 pm

I'm with Haydn on this one, does it make a difference? I'm not convinced on a large engine like any of the Bongos the difference between having the compressor running, rather than just turning would be measurable.

I had a courtesy Citroen C1 1 litre where the air con coming on dragged the speed down, I'm sure you could measure that but I ain't convinced on the Bongo.

Also if you've bought a 2 tonne brick accepting the terrible fuel consumption, why are you then bothered about the minuscule theoretical savings from being cool in the summer and dry in the winter?!!!
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:22 pm

roosmith wrote:I'm with Haydn on this one, does it make a difference? I'm not convinced on a large engine like any of the Bongos the difference between having the compressor running, rather than just turning would be measurable.

I had a courtesy Citroen C1 1 litre where the air con coming on dragged the speed down, I'm sure you could measure that but I ain't convinced on the Bongo.

Also if you've bought a 2 tonne brick accepting the terrible fuel consumption, why are you then bothered about the minuscule theoretical savings from being cool in the summer and dry in the winter?!!!
I'm with both of you. % penalty is much less on a Bongo than on a super-economy engine, % benefit is rather greater esp for back seat passengers with windows that only crack open a little at the back. Of course the technology on a super-economy engine is arguably less mendable and likely to be more costly than the Bongos more basic mechanics if it goes wrong, so that can offset the benefit of beter MPG also! :roll:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:31 pm

We measured the impact a couple of years ago on the V6 between Sussex and Lancashire it was a 5% penalty, one I'm prepared to pay!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:05 am

Ac cools air and as part of the process it also dehumidifies it. Very useful for demisting in a hurry.

I only use mine when I need it. 5% is 1.5mpg on mine . I'm not tight but I don't like throwing away money :-)

You can really hear the rpm drop when my ac comes on.
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:44 am

Some of us just weren't born to endure air conditioning.

I went to the coast yesterday in a mini-coach and had to take a warm jacket and long trousers for the refrigerated journey!

Warm air brings me long awaited pleasure when summer eventually arrives.

Frank

Return to “Techie Stuff”