Bongo Camper conversion to hold mobility scooter - finished!

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

nicxf
Bongolier

Bongo Camper conversion to hold mobility scooter - finished!

Post by nicxf » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:18 pm

Here are the photos of my beautiful custom conversion, done by the lovely folks at http://www.moorescampers.co.uk/ who were more than happy to take on a completely bespoke project, and do a fantastic job of it as well. These pictures were taken by the convertors before I rammed all my stuff in there (which has all fit beautifully into the ample cupboards) and added the cushions - those pics to follow when I remember to take some. :roll:

It was a tricky specification: the van needed to be able to accommodate my large, off-road TGA Supersport mobility scooter - a pretty large beastie - so he borrowed the scooter and built the conversion around it. It also needed to be very easy for me to use, and quick to convert from a scooter transporter to a functioning camper with bed, as I'm not strong and get tired quickly if I have to do lots of moving and lifting things to get the van set up. I was very pleased to discover I could have it done in a beautiful lime green to match the canvas roof - it looks properly cool when the roof is up and you get that flash of green through the side door too. 8)

The bed issue was resolved by making a drop-down section that's light-weight and very quick to lower into place - now you see it:

....now you don't - the side panel is hinged all the way along, and just folds itself up out of the way as you lift the bed section:

The cupboards are shaped to fit around the scooter when it's loaded, and the larger cupboard even has room for a sink, with loads of storage space underneath:

The narrow cupboard has a handy door that turns into a shelf, ideal for when you're rummaging around looking for a tin of something to heat up:

He really thought about how to make life easy for me in terms of moving things, and gave me external access to the water container which goes under the sink (the waste water goes out through the floor, I can put a bucket under it if needed). I had already said I was happy for the cupboard to overlap the door space a bit, to give me more storage:

The toilet fits neatly under the front section of the bed and can be used in-situ. There's also a side access so it can be easily slid out for emptying. There's even some room to store chemicals and loo roll and stuff:

Looking in through the side - you can see the side access for the toilet, and there's room to slide it right out to the door for ease of emptying:

I requested the additional unit behind the passenger seat which has proved useful for putting all the random stuff in, and handily also can be used to prop my cold box in place behind it. Although it appears to make the access slightly narrow there's still ample room for me to climb in and out, and the storage unit works well as a handy extra seat:

All this and still room for a mobility scooter? Attached to the hoist, ready to load:

And ta-daaa! In she goes:

I am so, so pleased with the job done by Moore's - they were happy to help and take on a unique project when all the other local (Bongo) convertors turned me down. Despite not having worked on a Bongo before Moores have given me a really cracking van, and made life much, much easier for when I go off touring with the disabled ramblers (http://disabledramblers.co.uk/).

Fabby, I love my PhoebeFreda. =D> =D>
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Bongo Camper conversion to hold mobility scooter - finis

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:29 pm

I think that must be the coolest conversion I've ever seen. What a cracking job, and one that means you are 1000% good to go and get out and enjoy the big wide world. I'm guessing that will make a huge difference to the smile on your face :P

Well done those guys =D> =D> =D>

P.S. Unless you've got a reversing camera, maybe get some (cheap) reversing sensors. Could be a good investment. :-). And I presume you've got a Low Coolant Alarm?
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:33 pm

=D> =D>
Well done to you and the installers
I like the green ( I did our bathroom in a bright orange ish panel )
And I know them panels think there like the ones we use for commercial washrooms and school toilets/showers
There strong and easily cleaned

That's a lovely job
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:55 pm

thats really neat nicky and just what you need eh. =D> =D> =D> . its come a long way since the first meet up at stourport.

just one thing which in my opinion is very important but is often overlooked, is the scooter fastened down during transporting, all those batteries will weigh a ton if the worst should happen, or does the lift clamp it in place for transport.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:58 pm

Brilliant. Superb example of a supplier listening to a customer and then combining what they hear with their expertise. All with so much style as well. I'd want to live in it!! Five star.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
nicxf
Bongolier

Post by nicxf » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:23 pm

Thanks guys! Yes, they did a properly cool job. I had a vague idea of what might work in theory but they really did take my rough sketches and make something that works perfectly out of them.

Mike - I do indeed have a coolant alarm, fitted by Mr Northern Bongolow himself, if I remember correctly!

Yes, it's comes long way since you saw it, NB! Just need to sort out the outside now - I should have done that this year really, but opted to go for doing the inside instead after a nightmare exhausting tour back in May.

And indeed, the scooter is secured : it has it's own seatbelt, fitted by the people who installed the hoist. If you look carefully in the left-hand corner of the last photo you can just see the stem attachment, bolted into the existing seat belt fitting.

The board used is this : http://www.superva.co.uk - they have some great colours, including sparkly ones which look amazing. The convertors had a black LWB T5 ready to go when I visited to discuss my conversion, all done in black and sparkly red inside - it was stunning. There are lots of photos on Moore's Facebook page.

The floor is Altro non-slip flooring, although the sheer weight of the scooter does mean it still moves a little bit. I pad it out with foam so it can't damage the cupboards.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:30 pm

good to go then eh. 8) 8) 8) . i dooo like the floor. :) one of the best floors ive seen. =D> =D> .
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:13 pm

Hi
Flabbergasted ...as said, it's the best conversion seen on here since i've been a member, because they built it to your needs, and it looks workmanlike, if , perhaps, a little boxy, but, then, it is specific to your requirements, and no other converter would seem to have come up with the goods! A highly work-able set-up by the looks of it! The scooter looks very good, by the way!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:33 pm

Great ... unique and far better / more practical than most of the 'normal' Belingo .. Kangoo .. Doblo etc: type WAVs ..

Still have my Toyota factory WAV sat on the drive ... bought it in February and only driven it off the road onto the drive ..!!
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:54 pm

First class job, brilliant. =D> =D> =D>
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:07 pm

Superb. A lot of those ideas would transfer to a variety of situations. It would make a brilliant wheelchair conversion as well. =D> =D> =D>
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:07 pm

That really is a fine job,a credit to you and the designer/installers. =D>
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:22 am

nicxf wrote:Thanks guys! Yes, they did a properly cool job. I had a vague idea of what might work in theory but they really did take my rough sketches and make something that works perfectly out of them.

Mike - I do indeed have a coolant alarm, fitted by Mr Northern Bongolow himself, if I remember correctly!

Yes, it's comes long way since you saw it, NB! Just need to sort out the outside now - I should have done that this year really, but opted to go for doing the inside instead after a nightmare exhausting tour back in May.

And indeed, the scooter is secured : it has it's own seatbelt, fitted by the people who installed the hoist. If you look carefully in the left-hand corner of the last photo you can just see the stem attachment, bolted into the existing seat belt fitting.

The board used is this : http://www.superva.co.uk - they have some great colours, including sparkly ones which look amazing. The convertors had a black LWB T5 ready to go when I visited to discuss my conversion, all done in black and sparkly red inside - it was stunning. There are lots of photos on Moore's Facebook page.

The floor is Altro non-slip flooring, although the sheer weight of the scooter does mean it still moves a little bit. I pad it out with foam so it can't damage the cupboards.
Excellent. So, reversing sensors, if not fitted then worth doing before crunch time (I only say that because I got stung more than once).
nicxf
Bongolier

Post by nicxf » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:29 pm

Got to get the bodywork sorted first, but the guy who did the conversion fits reversing sensors too.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:34 pm

nicxf wrote:Got to get the bodywork sorted first, but the guy who did the conversion fits reversing sensors too.
I got wired ones of ebay for £14 and they are a doddle to fit so shouldn't cost much even if they do them. I only use 2 sensors (I have a towbar mounted rear step meaning inner two would be no good) but even 2 seems to take care of the main danger / blind area with no problem. Not worth fitting more expensive wireless sensors as you can hear the buzzer from the back no problem.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”